Cyberpunk 2077 - E3 Demo Impressions

iu

There doesn't seem to be discussion of much else. NO mention of other types of gameplay like sneaking, stealing, constructing, hacking, or anything innovative I was really hoping they would showcase like cyberspace exploration.
I'll have to repeat what JDR wrote: "Are you reading the same things as the rest of us?"

grWJVIG.gif

There doesn't seem to be discussion of much else. NO mention of other types of gameplay like sneaking, stealing, constructing, hacking, or anything innovative I was really hoping they would showcase like cyberspace exploration.

Depending which impressions you are reading there is mention of:
- hacking skills being to low to go through a secured door, but engineering skill being high enough to bypassed security via an electric panel instead.
- sneaking behind a guard, putting him under a chock-hold, hacking his implants to get the base plans and access one of his friend via comm to jam his weapons and then killing the dude.
- jacking into a unconcious woman to check her vitals and clean a virus that stopped her locator implants from working
- V using the mantis blades like Wolverine to climb walls and drop on unsuspecting enemies from above
- Jackie lifting a car to use as "portable cover" (he apparently mistakes walls for doors too).

There was no netrunning from V in the demo, so no cyberspace exploration and their V was a "fast solo" (aka agile combatant).

There was only 3 fights in the 45-50 minutes demo:
- the starting mission in an apartment to save a woman
- a car chase (from the same gang as the starting mission, only one car)
- another fight with a gang after a deal turned sour (dev said you could have stole the item instead of trying to deal or sided with the gang against the other parties involved).

In term of immersive: they went to see the ripperdoc to get some implants, bought some brevage after checking ads on the street and asking it for direction and brought back a gigolo to V's apartment for some fun time.

Uh huh, point me to something that shows it's not mainly about shooting…
Well, in Witcher 3 you weren't swinging a sword most of the time, or anywhere close to it really...so why do you assume you would be shooting most of the time in Cyberpunk?

IMO, W3's combat system sucked anyway, shooting is an upgrade from that - but you may disagree there.

I wasn't swinging a sword most of the time in TW3.
Something else was swinging most of the time.

Combat? If it's on stuffed unicorn, sure, bring it on! Otherwise… Take a hike. :p

Thanks for that Azarhal. That reads a lot more interesting than I had seen. :) I had read a couple of those impressions, but most of what I read was about shooting. I don't have the patience to watch poorly focussed videos any more. :)

Ah-ha! You skipped Chien's classes!
Knew it.

Chien's teachings on this game so far are just that it lacks black people.

Eagerly awaiting word on whether or not it's a Product Designed To Be Streamed.
And also whether it's a Product With No Audience.

I also didn't see a single Eskimo or Apache Indians. The shame!

My 2 cents on all this, as someone who wasn't interested in this game. Mainly because I have always hated the cyberpunk setting. It just is one I find unappealing.

I do understand where the concerns about the first person perspective are coming from. This is not just one rpg watcher either, by the way. It was widespread enough that I heard the developers answered a question about these concerns. The problem is what the impression of first person gives to many people, in that it often means the game is more action-oriented.

There are very good reasons most shooters are made in first person. It is a perspective that most or many would agree gives a more visceral feeling, while playing it, when the game focuses on action and shooting. So, that is where these concerns are coming from, that is my take anyway. But this aspect actually makes me much more interested in the game. I would generally prefer first person games over third person games. That is just my personal preference.

Regarding the game world, in general, and what has been shown so far -- I'm buying the hype. I didn't know or fully get the scope of what they are trying to do with this game. It is basically an attempt to create a fully realized futuristic city, all the way down to minute details and experiences. The vision is really big and sweeping, in other words.

Bottom line, because I can go on for too long sometimes - I changed my mind based on what has been revealed so far, this is a game I'm VERY interested in.

Anyone recognize who these two guys are ( hint: Joxer is huge fan of the guy on the left)

DfnIGEBUEAANhlf.jpg

Guys Cyberpunk blew my mind! It's like this blend between Witcher 3, Deus Ex, Grand Theft Auto and even the never released original Prey 2 game! This is literally my DREAM GAME come true! A Blade Runner city come alive and not just a background!

The problem is what the impression of first person gives to many people, in that it often means the game is more action-oriented.

Weird, most first person games I played where immersion sims usually stealth based while all 3rd person ones (minus isometrics) have been exclusively action games… Might just be the style of games I buy.

But yeah, from what we've heard, I get the impression the game will play very similarly to from what we've seen in cancelled Prey( + melee).
It had this fluid combination of maneuverability ( slide, parkour, etc), using cover, shooting from different angles and tech abilities to go with it.

From RPS they describe combat as more fluid than Deus Ex, less "hit/stop" than Dishonored.
Also mention you can use those arm claws as melee weapons or attach onto walls ( and drop on enemies), wallrun, double jump, super fast dash, richochet bullets of walls ( you can see exact red line with cyber, kind of like playing "pool" with bullets), slow mo, chain hacking, etc, etc..crazy stuff.
Seems a lot of fun, kind of surprising, I expected they'd go for something closer to Watch Dogs or standard cover based TPS.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom