Deus Ex : Invisible War
Deus Ex : Human Revolution
Dishonored 1&2
Europa Universalis 3,4
Hearts of Iron IV
Supreme Commander 1,2
Spellforce 1,2,3

Last edited:
To my mind half the games in this thread seem like RPG subgenres though.

Not a single game on my list is an RPG, but I will admit some borrow elements. Anyway that's a tale as old as time as all games have nowadays. Mostly stats and EXP.

To my mind half the games in this thread seem like RPG subgenres though.

Or maybe RPGs have borrowed elements from those games over the years?

I'd be interested to hear what games you think don't seem like RPG subgenres :D I'll assume Mario 64 and Tetris from those mentioned so far, but what else?

Well, I love the survival games too so mine would be:
7 Days to Die
The Long Dark

Not a single game on my list is an RPG, but I will admit some borrow elements. Anyway that's a tale as old as time as all games have nowadays. Mostly stats and EXP.

Deux Ex not an RPG? That's a bit of a stretch.. i'd say you're pretty alone on that. It's probably the game which is featured on most "best RPG'"-lists..

Same with Spellforce.. its RPG's..

I did suggest favourite game-which-very-few-would-call-an-rpg.

pibbur who of course accepts that the watch(ers) writes what the watch(ers) want(s).

Battle Brothers
Warcraft 2
Civilization Series
Castle Wolfenstein (Apple 2e version)
Gauntlet 1&2
Bump and Jump
Phoenix
Frontline
Plants vs Zombies
Kings Bounty
Fantasy General
Witcher 3 (more of a movie) ;)

Deux Ex not an RPG? That's a bit of a stretch.. i'd say you're pretty alone on that. It's probably the game which is featured on most "best RPG'"-lists..

Same with Spellforce.. its RPG's..
No they are not.

Spellforce = Strategy base building game with RPG elements
Deus Ex = Immersive Simulation with RPG elements (Ask Warren Specter)

Like I said above some of my listed games are hybrids but not pure RPGs.

Deus Ex USED to be an RPG/shooter hybrid but now we call them immersive sims. Because we do.

@Hexprone; - a lot of mine have something in common with RPGs: building something up. In RPGs you start with a weak character (or 4) and build that character up into a powerhouse. In 4X games you start with one planet/city and build up an empire. In Egosoft's X games you start with one or two ships and build an economic and/or military force.

A whole bunch. I'll mention the first series that comes to mind. The Tomb Raider games (ok, ok, they started putting in rpg elements in recently but for a long time in previous games in the series they had none of it)

Amazing games and definitely some of the best non-rpg gaming I have played.

Off the top of my head:

Factorio
(currently) City of Heroes -though CoH can have more roleplaying in it than many self-titled "RPGs" these days.

No they are not.

Spellforce = Strategy base building game with RPG elements
Deus Ex = Immersive Simulation with RPG elements (Ask Warren Specter)

Like I said above some of my listed games are hybrids but not pure RPGs.

No, it's more like they're not traditional RPG's, but they're still considered RPG's by 99.9% of everyone who play RPG's… doesnt matter that they take cues from other genres, all RPG's has that, some more, some less..

Yeah lets agree to disagree this time.:p

Tetris
Bubble Bobble
Street Fighters 2
Rimworld
Stardew Valley (unsure whether this is RPG or not!!)
Nuclear Throne
Age of Mythology

Bubble Bobble is an amazing game. What fun. Played it for hundreds of hours. It and Mr. Do.

While I played lots of C64 Games, I wouldn't consider anyone to be any favorite game. The gameplay is just bleh by todays standards besides of arcade games which I am not a huge fan of. I still regularily listen to music from Last Ninja, Giana Sisters and so on.

What's the definition of a "favorite" anyways. ^^
Non-RPG Games which I gave best ratings in my reviews:
-Stanley Parable
-Rimworld

And then ofc I have to name Jagged Alliance 1/2 (and Deadly Games) which is a tactics game with RPG elements. ;)

Hrm...it would be interesting to pick a "favorite" game for every little genre though. For exmaple for me the last Racing game I played for more than a couple of hours is more than 10 years ago...but that would probably be Have A Nice Day or Slipstream 5000.

I am mostly a strategy gaming fan other than RPGs.
I can't limit to 3 unfortunately. So hopefully this helps with some discussions :)

So:

- Age of Empires 1 & 2: These and the below entry were my first games that got me hooked into PC gaming. Top-quality games in my opinion.
- The Settlers 3
- Tropico Series: I played this series since the first entry and loved the atmosphere. I've never been good at it, but still enjoy it sometimes. Waiting for the newest one to be 50% off and then I'll get it I think.
- Battle Brothers: Been playing this since it came out and I think the newest DLC has been the best. It wouldn't have made this list otherwise. Still shit at the game, but I can now manage Beginner Ironman without too many difficulties. Will need to try Veteran next. (I only have two mods installed: Make Alps only spawn one ghost per turn and a tooltip that shows what the town events actually mean).
- XCOM 2: Probably one of my most-played games thanks to all the mods available.
- Theme Hospital: Another one of the earliest games I enjoyed for the atmosphere. I never finished it, but still one of my most fun games
- Invisible Inc: Not sure this one deserves a mention, but since it was a lot of fun to play through a few times, I thought why not. Nice little turn based stealth game.
- Mount & Blade (heavily modded): Another game which was better thanks to its modding community. AAA mods were made for this game greatly surpassing the original game.
- Caesar 3: The final old game on this list. I must have played this game for hundreds of hours. I remember one scenario that I was enjoying so much I didn't progress to the next scenario until my map was chockfull I couldn't build anything anymore. One of the best old city-builders.
- Crusader Kings 2: This and the next one are Paradox masterpieces, but takes ages to get into as systems are quite complex. I played this a a conquest blobber and also as a RP build up dynasty. Both ways are fun.
- Europa Universalis 4
- Total War Series (especially Shogun, Rome, Medieval II, Shogun II & now Three Kingdoms): If you've never played this before, I recommend the newest entry ! It's probably one of the best ones they've made.
- Civ 5

Only real MP game I play
- League of Legends

I am mostly a strategy gaming fan other than RPGs.
I can't limit to 3 unfortunately. So hopefully this helps with some discussions :)

- Total War Series (especially Shogun, Rome, Medieval II, Shogun II & now Three Kingdoms): If you've never played this before, I recommend the newest entry ! It's probably one of the best ones they've made.

Crusader Kings 2 and EU IV, oh yes ..

Regarding Three Kingdoms it is that good? I mean I have played TW since the first Shogun but Rome II was such a disappointment than it made me skip TW Warhammer I & II. I see we have quite the same favorite list of TW so I wonder about 3 Kingdoms now :)

Back
Top Bottom