Final Fantasy VII Remake - Critical Consensus

@Nereida;, well that's a lot better post, though it still seems you have to classify anyone who doesn't agree with you as not really being a "gamer."

So you like 6's story a lot more than 7's. That's pretty common. Quite a few folks even say 8 is the best, though I found that game's story to be pretty terrible myself.

When the game showed up on PC months (?) later, it's graphics were nice but certainly not stunning the PC gamers. The characters were ridiculously blocky when not in battle. There was 0 voice acting. Yet the game still got good reviews and sold quite well when re-released on Steam. There's no way this game's popularity comes just from how nice the graphics were on PlayStation.

FF7 was more simple than previous installments… yeah, no. They are ALL quite simple. FF7 (and many other JRPGs) have some optional depth you can get into and then fight optional bosses using those tactics. Same with grinding. You can easily play FF7 all the way through and win the game with no grinding at all. If you're looking to get a gold chocobo, beat optional bosses, or max out every character's limit breaks, though, then you're looking at serious grinding.

Oh, and no, your different opinion is not hurting ANY of us.

Yesh, opinion about VI being not only better then VII, but even best game in series is really quite common. Quite few sites that bothered to rank FF games came to this conclusion as well. So there is nothing controversial about that.

When the game showed up on PC months (?) later, it's graphics were nice but certainly not stunning the PC gamers. The characters were ridiculously blocky when not in battle. There was 0 voice acting. Yet the game still got good reviews and sold quite well when re-released on Steam. There's no way this game's popularity comes just from how nice the graphics were on PlayStation.
Console audience has no taste and console critics live in the past century.
Not everyone ofc, but usually they tend to make overblown statements. Take RDR2 for example. An open world game everyone on consoles praised - while that game has an unbelievably boring world.

Console audience has no taste and console critics live in the past century.
Not everyone ofc, but usually they tend to make overblown statements. Take RDR2 for example. An open world game everyone on consoles praised - while that game has an unbelievably boring world.

Jesus, I should have known you would come up with your own wacky quote here.

It isn't mutauly exclusive to like the ability to play games on both pc and consoles....only a fool sticks his nose up at one and tries to act superior...

RDR 2 world was fantastic from both a pc and console perspective, your opinion was it wasn't. I don't agree with you but you are entitled to your opinion which is in the minority...remember you like all those euro crap games like that one pirate one that came out that you lauded which turned out to be crap...

God, this thread has done anything it has pointed out who is the close minded zombies.

Now, you agree or you don't, but that's my point, which is formed by vast knowledge of the FF franchise and countless hours of conversation with those who have played all of the FF games even before they were a thing in the west, and didn't just discover what a JRPG was with their discount sale Playstation. And I stand by it, however much it hurts you.

My entire post was about HOW you argue your points, not the point you're arguing. I haven't engaged with you at all about whether or not I think FFVII is a good game, or better than III, IV and VI. And you continue to argue in the same way: making assumptions and gross generalizations, and positioning yourself as an expert and those who disagree with you as idiots. And of course you can continue to do so, that's up to you. But you'll miss out on a lot of productive conversations with that approach.

It was not a 100 hour game for 99% of its audience. You'd have to grind for about 60 hours to fight final bosses to stretch it to that length. …

I didn't record the hours I spent in FF7, but I do tend to grind those games maxing my characters and completing every side quest. For example, FF9 took me 105 hours and FFX 155 hours.

I like it so far (~4 hours in) The combat is really fun imo, so that's the star, but I also enjoy the music, the graphics, most of the dialogue (including a ton of ambient dialogue as you walk up to/past people), the character customization... so yeah, it's good. A lot of the reviews said it was padded out with a lot of boring quests, and I may eventually feel that way, but I've started doing the stuff they're talking about and so far it's fun to me. The rationale for why Cloud is doing it is solid.

Im in chapter 9 now, so I suppose I already mave my teeth quite deep. I can say, so far Im really enjoying high production values, great story and umpteenth variation on FF-like gameplay mechanics.

On the other side, it was rather railroaded experience till now. Not sure if it will open-up at some point as some other FF games, but if its like this till very end, I will have hard time not to feel somewhat disappointed.

Im in chapter 9 now, so I suppose I already mave my teeth quite deep. I can say, so far Im really enjoying high production values, great story and umpteenth variation on FF-like gameplay mechanics.

On the other side, it was rather railroaded experience till now. Not sure if it will open-up at some point as some other FF games, but if its like this till very end, I will have hard time not to feel somewhat disappointed.

Pretty sure you've already seen it open up as much as it's going to (the side quest chapters, like 4 and 8). I don't remember Final Fantasy games ever being open except for non-story stuff. In games liike VI and XII, you could roam around and fight things in different places, but nothing would really happen anywhere but where the plot wanted you to go.

Are you still in Midgar? The game opens up somewhat once you can leave the city, or at least that's how it was in the original. I highly doubt that would be changed.

So the remake is split into chapters huh?

Are you still in Midgar? The game opens up somewhat once you can leave the city, or at least that's how it was in the original. I highly doubt that would be changed.

So the remake is split into chapters huh?

The remake is all in midgar for this chapter...I hope they do the overland in the next chapter.

That being said, the game is a lot of fun and does a really good job selling the world. It looks fantastic and brings back the memories of FF7....with a lot more added to midgar.

Some will be dissapointed but I think there is a solid 30 hours of game here. I think it is fantastic so far.

You know, given that you knew (a) this is a classic console game and (b) it is not a PC game … you COULD have simply stayed the fuck out of the thread and not polluted it for those of us who are not such PC-only trolls that we can appreciate that there are good games available on every gaming platform ever made. That could have been a possibility … maybe something for you to consider the next time?

Indeed, that was quite unnecessary.

Being a major FF fan, I perused a few other forums dedicated to the series. I'd say the general consensus from that article is on point. Most fans seem to enjoy the game as a whole, but criticize the padding and the ending (justifiably so).

I have yet to play it, but I'll have it in hand later today. If anyone is interested in an extensive comparison or breakdown, let me know and I can dedicate a thread to it, with or without spoilers.

Back
Top Bottom