Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Temple of the place where your rival has gone - I forget the name. He brought along a rogue, a fighter, an archer, and some sort of mage. I could barely hit any of them, unfortunately, and impaled myself on them a few times. It worked out much better when I came back with a couple of characters a level higher and a 5th character to help out.

I got the berries I needed in the cave (well, after a re-load - I got unlucky the first time) but I tried going deeper. That's when I found out what those fire potions were for. Pity I had used all but two thinking they were supposed to be for the big spiders. Oh well, I'll go back in later.

EDIT: When the stat reduction says "permanent" it means there's no set duration, not that the stat reduction is permanent and can't be removed.

I tried Treat Affliction and it didn't appear to do anything. I don't think Lesser Restoration does much against permanent stat loss, either. What's worse is that Amiri was the only one that was losing strength. I think she was down to 6 when I left!

Back in the tutorial it's your character (I've got a halfling), Linzi the halfling, and the rival illusionist gnome. Nobody could do melee until I met the elf!

Difficulty level is Challenging.

Ah, the ancient tomb. Did you persuade one of the two companions to join your party?

Treat affliction:

https://pathfinderkingmaker.gamepedia.com/Treat_Affliction

To treat an affliction means to tend to a single disease or poisoned character. Make a Lore (Religion) check. If your check exceeds the DC of the affliction, the affliction is removed. You can treat each character only once per day.

So worth a try until you get lesser restoration (let your cleric or whoever's got high religion check to cast/use it).

https://pathfinderkingmaker.gamepedia.com/Restoration,_Lesser

Lesser restoration dispels any temporary magical effects reducing one of the subject's ability scores (it does not remove permanent effects such as curses or diseases) or cures 1d4 points of temporary ability damage to one of the subject's ability scores. It also eliminates any fatigue suffered by the character. It does not restore permanent ability drain.

Unless different game difficulty changes how the poison works, stat reductions (str, dex, con) due to poison should not be permanent and can be removed by lesser restoration?

Put a mouse cursor on strength damage icon (red hexagon) on the portrait and see if the description says it can be treated with lesser restoration.

EDIT: Ok, for some reason, my earlier edit didn't come through?

When the stat reduction shows "permanent", it means there is no set duration for this, doesn't mean the stat damage is permanent in a sense it can't be removed.

Last edited:
Ah, the ancient tomb. Did you persuade one of the two companions to join your party?
Yep. I've got plenty of diplomacy. Whomever I convinced got killed pretty fast, though. (Maybe they are still level 1 until they join your party proper?)
When the stat reduction shows "permanent", it means there is no set duration for this, doesn't mean the stat damage is permanent in a sense it can't be removed.
Well it can definitely be removed by sleeping! At the time, that was my only option. I had no cleric and no source of cleric scrolls so it's either sleep it off or just live with it.

I loaded an old save and tried to do Treat Affliction. Nothing happened. It didn't even roll for anything. What it did do was mark the character as having been treated with a 24 hour countdown, though.

Now that I look at it, the Restoration spell verbiage is a bit weird. The first paragraph says it's just like Lesser Restoration except it also restores lost levels. The third paragraph then describes the Lesser Restoration spell. However, between the two, there's a paragraph that seems to be just about the Restoration spell where it talks about restoring permanent stat damage. But if that's different than Lessor Restoration then the first paragraph isn't correct! Arg!!

P.S. Fighter women, PLEASE STOP DRINKING! That sound is really getting under my skin. I'm trying to figure out stats or read spells and... SSSSLLLUUUURRRP GLUB GLUB GLUB

I loaded an old save and tried to do Treat Affliction. Nothing happened. It didn't even roll for anything. What it did do was mark the character as having been treated with a 24 hour countdown, though.

Yes, I'm not sure why it doesn't show roll info on treat affliction but from my knowledge it works as intended - I've removed the stat reduction with a message saying DC save successful on a few occassions.

Now that I look at it, the Restoration spell verbiage is a bit weird. The first paragraph says it's just like Lesser Restoration except it also restores lost levels. The third paragraph then describes the Lesser Restoration spell. However, between the two, there's a paragraph that seems to be just about the Restoration spell where it talks about restoring permanent stat damage. But if that's different than Lessor Restoration then the first paragraph isn't correct! Arg!!

IIRC:

Restoration is (obviously) a better version of lesser restoration - it removes stat reductions (which is what lesser version does - but can restore more effectively i.e. it can restore multiple stat damages at once) + temporary level drains + requires 2 diamond dust.

Greater restoration practically does what restoration does but better - it can also remove permanent level drains but it requires 10 diamond dusts. It also removes fatigue and exhaustion, insanity, confusion, and similar mental effects.

P.S. Fighter women, PLEASE STOP DRINKING! That sound is really getting under my skin. I'm trying to figure out stats or read spells and… SSSSLLLUUUURRRP GLUB GLUB GLUB

??? What drinking sound??

Descriptions from the game:

z9H86aL.png

So it's like saying:

Restoration - works like lesser restoration + extra features relevant to restoration
Greater restoration - works like lesser restoration + extra features relevant to greater restoration

I remember wondering why restoration didn't seem to work for me until I realised that I needed diamond dust and didn't have any!! That wasn't obvious and could be Zloth's problem. :)

Yea I remember when i ran into that issue was really annoying hte first time - as i had not realized that spells required gems (components?) to cast. I mean after the fact it sort of make sense but no other game I had played had htis requirement.
--
Oh well somewhere in chapter 2 - really should get back to the game - the journal should have a summary but i don't think it has but i think i remember most of the major details.

I remember wondering why restoration didn't seem to work for me until I realised that I needed diamond dust and didn't have any!! That wasn't obvious and could be Zloth's problem. :)

I don't think Zloth is high enough level to learn Restoration yet. The spell description shows you need 2 diamond dust for the Restoration though. I also mentioned in my review that some spells require reagents like diamond dust! :p

Material components? Don't see that much in video games. But yeah, Purpleblob is right, I'm nowhere near high enough level yet. I just got access to Lesser Restoration!

DDO requires material components for some spells and if I remember correctly, Some of the early M&M games used gems too for some spells!! :)

Could somebody give me a quick run-down on death/unconsciousness?

(In game, I mean. I didn't just miss-post a Religion/Ethics question. ;)

By that I mean just how the various states work. If a character goes to 0 HP then s/he falls down but can still be healed. At -10 or so, the portrait goes grey and heals won't help. It's even possible for them to outright.... OH!!! It was Lizi that did that! I forgot she teleports away just before dying.

Anyway, I take it that greyed out is dead so you'll need a Raise Dead or some such to fix the character? Can the unconscious characters be healed by simply resting?

P.S. Just got my barony. Those louts better not have hurt the owl bear!

Last edited:
If the portrait is still coloured you can heal them, grey means they are dead and need to be raised from death.

Linzi has a ring that teleports her to safety (the capital) when she dies - if you talked to her, she would have told you about the ring (you can't remove this ring from her, like Amiri's ginomous sword).

She did, I just forgot. I started thinking there was an "unconscious", a "dead", and a "destroyed" state! Now another guy has mentioned he has this power, too.

Still plugging away. I think I understand most of the game now and battles have gotten far easier to manage.

Is it my imagination or does the game make you roll 1's and 2's when you try to save scu… <ahem> when your machine just so happens to crash after failing a skill check, like opening a chest?

Hey I got a question, I haven't played since beta/first release and now I am about to start a full run with all the DLC.

In regards to how to optimise/get the full experience - do I run Varnhold before even starting or do I play it at a certain point in the main campaign? How does it work? Does a Varnhold save get "imported" in a main campaign?

And does the endless dungeon just have a natural start point or is it something I need to seek out once I am high enough level?

No spoilers please.

In regards to how to optimise/get the full experience - do I run Varnhold before even starting or do I play it at a certain point in the main campaign? How does it work? Does a Varnhold save get "imported" in a main campaign?

Varnhold's Lot has two components - 1. Stand alone portion 2. The main game portion which you can access by importing the final DLC save. The best time to play the DLC stand alone portion is when you finish the "Varnhold Vanishing" chapter in the main game - then import the DLC save into the main game (you will get a prompt upon loading the main game save providing 1. You finished Varnhold Vanishing in the main game, 2. You have finished the DLC)

And does the endless dungeon just have a natural start point or is it something I need to seek out once I am high enough level?

You can play endless dungeon DLC as a stand alone or in the main camapign - these work quite differently. In the main camapign, the dungeon isn't endless - there are only 16 levels before you face the final boss. The dungeon will open up progressly as you play - 4 levels open up in chapter 2, another 4 levels will open up in next chapter etc.

Thanks heaps. I understand how it works now.

Hey purple,

One more question!! What time mechanics do I specifically have to be aware of? For instance in the first act do I have to rush or can I spend as long as I want? I know there are timers on specific kingdom events and certain quests have timers but if I am just exploring in general (act one) can I go as slow as I want?

If you have a low spoiler summary of the key timing related things I need to be aware of it would be much appreciated.

@bjon045;

There's timer for every major quest including companion quests - some hidden, some not. So I'd say address any major quests asap - they usually indicate it either via journal log or dialogue (e.g. one of your companion's gone missing!!! etc). The ancient curses in particular need to be addressed promptly or you take hit to your kingdom (from second chapter) which could lead to game over (when your kingdom reach crumbled state). The game will warn you 2 weeks before the ancient curse hits you via kingdom management system so keep an eye on it.

In the first chapter, you get 3 months(?) in game time to address the main quest which is very linient. Make sure you don't hand in the main quest to Jamandi straight away cause that ends the chapter 1, use all available time to explore (but start travelling back to Oleg's 2-3days before the timer expires since travel can take a while). Only the small portion of the world map is available in 1st chapter.

From the second chapter, I recommend that you venture around the region where your quests takes you to - don't go too further than that or you won't be able to come back to your capital in time when you need to. Build teleportation circles/mage towers asap so you can teleport between your settlements for fast travel.

I'm in a bit of rush atm so I will add more detail later.

Thanks heaps, that clarifies a lot. I'm only planning on doing one complete full playthrough so I want to ideally avoid the main frustration points.

I've actually put quite a bit of time into the game already (probably 100ish hours) but that was pretty much all from a testing perspective during the beta so I don't have much knowledge of the wider systems and the complete game. It's nice to just sit back and enjoy the complete game with all the DLC though. It's certainly a gem.

Back
Top Bottom