RIP Kobe

Lucky Day

Daywatch
This is the biggest news in sports in decades. Hardest part is watching the highlights of him with his daughter who also passed away in the crash.

I'm not a basketball fan at all, but that is an absolutely horrible way to pass. I've been in helicopters three times in my life and, well, it's not the way I prefer to travel. I can only hope it was quick for them. RIP.

If a rich guy dies prematurely, helicopter crash is not a bad bet.

Very sad to hear about his daughter, and much sympathy to his wife and other kids ... they are certainly dealing with a lot. Also much sympathy for the ‘forgotten others’ - a coach, and another coach and his entire family ... all of whom died and none of whom will be remembered at all, as if somehow their lives matter less than some celebrity (spoiler: they don’t).

As for Kobe ... I am conflicted. He was a truly legendary basketball player, and in more recent years has changed his persona to be more giving, more charitable, more inspirational. But let’s not forget that he is also a rapist, who employed a team to destroy the life of his accusers, and ultimately released a semi-apology as part of avoiding a civil lawsuit (the pressure from Bryant and his legal team applied enough pressure to get the key witness to ‘not cooperate’ in the legal case ... just like we see from Woody Allen, Harvey Weinstein and others).

So yeah ... mixed feelings. Mourn, but PLEASE don’t begin to deify him!

Everyone dies. Lots of people die every day. Does a well known person deserve more sympathy than an unknown ? I rather judge people for the life they live not their fame. I think if we are going to have threads for people who die there should be one for everyone who dies every day.

Everyone dies. Lots of people die every day. Does a well known person deserve more sympathy than an unknown ? I rather judge people for the life they live not their fame. I think if we are going to have threads for people who die there should be one for everyone who dies every day.

People ARE judging Kobe for the life he led. There are stories pouring in from people all across sports and beyond about ways in which he helped them or was kind to them or inspired them or learned from them. Yeah, lots of people die every day. Most of them are special to a handful of humans and so the grieving isn't public, it's expressed by those who knew and loved them. Kobe impacted thousands if not millions of lives, hundreds of them directly. Shit, I'm a Blazers fan and we spent all our time booing the guy. But it's self-evident that he was more than just a "well known person".

I don't get the deification of remote sport stars (or anyone for that matter).

The loss of someone important in my life is quite another thing.

But it's rarely (or never) a celebrity.

There are plenty of unsung heroes in this world that are just as worthy, I think.

Back
Top Bottom