VtM: Bloodlines - Sale @ Steam

I don't. I got VtM: Redemption when it came out but stopped playing for some reason. Buggyness, maybe? I never came back to the universe. Maybe it's time to give it a look-see.

Not sure what version Steam is selling, but there's pretty much vital community patches you should get on top of. (and dry hump)

I don't. I got VtM: Redemption when it came out but stopped playing for some reason. Buggyness, maybe? I never came back to the universe. Maybe it's time to give it a look-see.

Such completely different games by completely different developers. You've been denying yourself an amazing RPG.

It shows the following:
----------
Microsoft® Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP*
* Does not support Windows XP 64
----------

Does this mean that it would not work on my Windows 7 64 bit machine?

It shows the following:
—————
Microsoft® Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP*
* Does not support Windows XP 64
—————

Does this mean that it would not work on my Windows 7 64 bit machine?

you'll need unofficial patches for that I think

If you get the unofficial patch it will definitely work since I have Windows 7 64-bit and it works perfectly on my system.

Ps. You can find the Unofficial Patch and anything else you would want for the game at http://planet-vampire.com/ from mods to skins and an extensive forum dedicated to both games.

I tried it now on my Win7 64, without patching. Since I apparently have less than 15 MB memory it wouldn't start.

Find vampire.exe and right click on it and select properties. Go to the compatibility tab and set it for Vista. I have heard that setting it for Windows XP SP3 works too, but setting it to Vista worked for me.

There is a good discussion on that and other issues on the Steam forums
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2025035

That did the trick. I've previously played using ver. 7.x of the unofficial patch. Wanted to try it vanilla out of the box.

Such completely different games by completely different developers. You've been denying yourself an amazing RPG.
Aaaaarrggg... still need to play Two Worlds 2 and Sword of the Stars and Freespace 2 and Tropico 3!

Aaaaarrggg… still need to play Two Worlds 2 and Sword of the Stars and Freespace 2 and Tropico 3!

I say go with Bloodlines first if you missed it. If there was a top-10 "gotta play" RPG's, Bloodlines is probably in it. There are better titles, but one of Bloodlines qualities is that it stands out. The only game I might be able to compare it with is Deus Ex.

Hmmm, I see GOG has VTM Redemption on sale for 5.99, with up to Win 7 64 bit compatibility.
So what do The Watch have to say - worth it?

Hey, GOG is having a sale and I must say, their general catalogue is looking impressive by now.

Of special note might be that they have Two Worlds Epic Ed. going for 4.99 this weekend.

So what do The Watch have to say - worth it?

I say there are better priorities. Vampire: Redemption was an odd title, making a very social pnp into a very hack-n-slash game. It's story is quite bad with a rather annoying main character. The 3d graphics haven't aged well. It was also not a particulary good RPG to begin with. My favorite aspect with it was that it takes place in two different eras using the same character and I enjoyed the modern era more. There weren't many 3d diabloclones around at the time it was released and certainly none with guns.

You can force AA and AF on Redemption last I checked which makes it look a lot better.

I have to broadly agree with JemyM. First, Bloodlines is a classic that must be played - prioritise it above 2W2 and others. Second Redemption is...OK, but showing its age and was never of the same quality in the first place.

That said, if you have nothing better to play at the moment and are forgiving of early 3D polygons, it's a decent game but well short of a classic.

I'd like to offer a different slant on Redemption. Despite its age, the hysterical melodrama of the story and the party based diablo styled gameplay, still makes it reasonably playable overall if you're a tolerant gamer.

Personally, I had a hoot of a time with the game - I liked the latent issues with the corruption of christian values and the quasi-Shakespearian outbursts of dialogue that the main character has against the nature of his plight.

In short, I'm glad I played it before Bloodlines - which is the superior game by a long way as a cRPG.

I've been meaning to replay Bloodlines with the Camarilla mod for a long time actually...

Thanks for the advice regarding redemption. Hmmm- well, I think I'll get it - for that price no huge loss, but I really like the OS compatibility and the things that Pessimeister has to say about the game - I'm suddenly reminded of the Blood Omen games.

I am pondering whether or not to install the Camarilla mod. I have the community patch installed and used the widescreen mod as well. I also installed the Clan Quest mod. But I am pondering whether or not the changes in the Camarilla mod is for me or not. I am not sure if I like the idea of an everdropping bloodpool, but I would prefer to have the classic cost for increasing skills. Also the discipline changes seems to be more in the line to what I am familiar with in the PnP game.

Back
Top Bottom