General News - Top 15 Upcoming RPGs

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@GamePressure have presented their top 15 upcoming RPGs.

Elex

This summary wouldn't be complete without a mention of the team at Piranha Bytes, which has been working on a new project for quite some time now. Elex contains elements characteristic of fantasy, science fiction, and even post-apocalypse, and has a good chance of serving the players an experience completely different from any other production. The action takes place on the planet Magalan, which was hit by a meteorite not long before the events shown in the game. The event spawned two major side effects: almost complete destruction of the resident civilization and the appearance of the eponymous new substance. Elex helped the remaining survivors arm themselves in new weapons and endowed them with magical abilities - its dubious charm, however, lies in the fact that extended usage leads to the degeneration of the body.

Four groups fight for absolute control over the new resource, each of them intending to use it for different purposes. The Albs, who, due to the aforementioned downside to using elex, have lost their humanity, display very imperialistic tendencies and act like unscrupulous machines. Opposing them we have the Berserkers, living in harmony with the nature, the Clerics, who possess highly-advanced technology despite rejecting elex consumption, and the independent, free group of Outlaws - we can definitely see some similarities to the first Gothic and its world, divided into three warring factions. The player will play as an amnesiac Alb general betrayed by his comrades. From the very beginning, the game will give us a free hand, allowing us to complete interesting quests and join one of the factions while we try to figure out what provoked the hero's kinsmen to such a disgraceful act.
More information.

Sadly RPGWatch keeps me too well informed to discover a pleasant surprise in articles like this. :|

Upcoming? Some of the titles will be released in the new decade... if ever....

That is one of the better lists I have seen. Let's hope a few get released in the next few months. Or at least 1 or 2.

well some of those might release after 2020 like someone said, might as well put dragon age 4, risen 4, fallout 5 on that list

well some of those might release after 2020 like someone said, might as well put dragon age 4, risen 4, fallout 5 on that list
No, because all of the games in the list have been announced (PoE2 only vaguely though).

Sadly RPGWatch keeps me too well informed to discover a pleasant surprise in articles like this. :|

I'm pleasantly surprised personally. Only 2 JRPGs, but 6 turn-based games. What is going on?

I find the list worrisome though. It is listing basically all the RPGs coming for what remains of 2016, 2017 and 2018 missing only a few games. Unless 2017 bring lots of RPG announcements to release in under a year, 2018 is going to be a very dry vintage.

Where are my indie RPGs?

Where are my indie RPGs?
Well, at this point noone knows if the following games will be released until 2018 or at all, but they're still in the pipeline:
  • Insomnia
  • Project Resurgence
  • Expeditions: Viking
  • Vikings - Wolves of Midgard
  • Krai Mira
  • The Mandate
  • Underworld Ascendant
  • Black Geyser
  • Sui Generis
  • The Surge

Well, at this point noone knows if the following games will be released until 2018 or at all, but they're still in the pipeline:
  • Insomnia
  • Project Resurgence
  • Expeditions: Viking
  • Vikings - Wolves of Midgard
  • Krai Mira
  • The Mandate
  • Underworld Ascendant
  • Black Geyser
  • Sui Generis
  • The Surge

Thanks.

The Mandate haven't been released yet? I was sure it was already out.

I'm pleasantly surprised personally. Only 2 JRPGs, but 6 turn-based games. What is going on?

Well, I counted only 5 (PoE 2 is NOT TB), and 3 of them are from inXile so who knows if they ever will be published and in what state. One is South Park, so maybe an enjoyable game but does not compute as 'TB'. Which sadly leaves only D:OS 2. In the same time frame we will probably see D:OS 3 and the Sci-Fi secret project from Larian, so there's hope...

Well, I counted only 5 (PoE 2 is NOT TB), and 3 of them are from inXile so who knows if they ever will be published and in what state. One is South Park, so maybe an enjoyable game but does not compute as 'TB'. Which sadly leaves only D:OS 2. In the same time frame we will probably see D:OS 3 and the Sci-Fi secret project from Larian, so there's hope…

The Pokemon game is turn-based.

The Mandate haven't been released yet?
If that bears abomination is among top 15 upcoming RPGs, I don't want to know about the rest. :D

If that bears abomination is among top 15 upcoming RPGs, I don't want to know about the rest. :D

It isn't. It's actually a decent list in my opinion, all games I'll want to play except for Pokemon which I'll gladly skip.

I find the list worrisome though. It is listing basically all the RPGs coming for what remains of 2016, 2017 and 2018 missing only a few games. Unless 2017 bring lots of RPG announcements to release in under a year, 2018 is going to be a very dry vintage.

Well, I haven't even played the Witcher 3 yet - among many other games in my Steam queue so no worries for me for 2018. The real issue is that I'm resigned to the fact that when I die, I will likely still have a queue of unplayed games!!

The real issue is that I'm resigned to the fact that when I die, I will likely still have a queue of unplayed games!!

The real issue is would you leave dead server MMOs like Pet Society to your grandkids or The Witcher 3 which is basically DRMfree.

The real issue is would you leave dead server MMOs like Pet Society to your grandkids or The Witcher 3 which is basically DRMfree.

Ah, well, with the election of a certain world leader recently, I figure the world will be like Wasteland 2 by the time I have grandkids so they can play that game for real.

Back
Top Bottom