I Am Setsuna - Releases July 19

Aubrielle

Noveliste
I Am Setsuna, a Chrono Trigger-esque JRPG by Square Enix, will arrive for PC on Steam July 19.

The first game from Square Enix's Tokyo RPG Factory, I Am Setsuna, will come to PlayStation 4 and Windows PC via Steam July 19, the publisher announced today.

I Am Setsuna draws its artistic and gameplay inspirations from classic Japanese role-playing games, Square Enix says. The company has specifically called out Chrono Trigger, Square's 1995 RPG for the Super Nintendo, as a key source of inspiration — though it supposedly also draws upon other games from the "golden era of JRPGs."
More.

More information.

Not yet.
We still don't know if it's in fact an emulator of some ice age child's toy that can run some oldey games or it's really a modern PC game impossible to port on phones.

Ok, I'm going to predict the future: the problem with this game will be the almost entire lack of believable characters. People compare this to Chrono Trigger, but the reason people adore CT is because it had characters we fell in love with. Robo and Frog and Marle and all the rest where so HUMAN. We could relate to their desires, and the game let us experience life WITH them.

This game looks really pretty and cute with its art…but I'm betting now that the game is just a caricature of past games. I mean even the art for the characters just sort of blends together.

EDIT: the game is made by Tokyo RPG Factory, not the rather poor Tokyo Idea Factory like I first posted. My mistake. So who knows if this studio is capable or not.

I just wish people wouldn't bring up Chrono Trigger in order to sell their new games. Chrono Trigger deserves better than that.

Should we be excited ?

It got decent reviews in Japan. Famitsu gave it 8/8/8/8 (32/40) and had this to say;

-Embodiment of the concept of good ol' RPG. Graphics have deep flavor, sad story, piano BGM help bring atmosphere
-Battles are steadily interesting
-They don't really feel anything originally new
-Stone customization & Strategic element in Setsuna system are good
-Too much loading in towns, a bit troublesome
-Takes about 20-25 hours to clear

I'm definitely looking forward to it. My biggest problem with JRPGs lately is that they are too long. 20 hours sounds perfect to me.

Thank you Aubrielle for putting me on to this game! I'm going to buy a PSTV to play it. :)

Back
Top Bottom