Larian Studios - Post E3

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Lar writes about Larian's trip to E3 and their reasons for going in the first place in a blog post:
The road to LA started about 2 months ago for us, and when we began this particular journey, it looked like it was going to be smooth sailing. That didn’t last very long with the first crack in the plan appearing when we realized that in order to be featured in magazines at the time of the Divinity – Original Sin announcement, we’d need to show the demos we wanted to show at E3, one month before the actual show.
You’d think that after having been 15 years in this industry I could’ve predicted that one, but for some reason, the thought never occured to me, and the result of course was that we needed quite a few heroic development efforts to save the day.
More information.

Is this a spoiler to a less than positive PC gamer preview? The mag was out in the States a few days ago, anyone read it?

Good spot. I'll have to try and find a copy.

I've read the preview and it's very positive.

They also go into their troubles with past publishers and how glad they are to be independant because of how much the publishers interfered with their creative proces.

So either PC Gamer gave them the benefit of the doubt or it went better than Larian expected.

I don't think many journalists would punish a dev for pulling of an impromptu presentation. And seeing as they clearly talked about Larian going indie and inhouse-PR being new for them I think the journalist knew whats-what.

The fact of them going indie and having full creative control is a large part of the article.

Either way it's always good to keep honing your message (and the product) till it's clear to your audience.

Maybe that part about relations with previous publishers is not something they wanted attention on. But that's exactly the story any journalist is looking for to give a preview context. The destructoid E3 preview didn't talk about it much, only one sentence about missing perfection with Divine Divinity and Divinity 2.

Back
Top Bottom