• Stranger Things

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Something else

Votes: 24 32.4%

• Total voters

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
What setting, for which an RPG has not been designed yet, would be a good setting to design an RPG for?

Thanks goes to Lucky Day for coming up with this new poll.

Thy poll needs some options.

When those appear, I'll click on "any mature" setting. :evilgrin:
Wh... No such option?! O_O

Riftwar one of my favorite book settings.

A few games were made in the past but nothing recent.

I know all of those settings except for Riftwar, and I'll have to go with Stormlight. Although if we're talking Sandersson I believe Scadriel in the Wax&Wayne era would be even more fun. I really enjoy magic and revolvers...

I know all of those settings except for Riftwar, and I'll have to go with Stormlight. Although if we're talking Sandersson I believe Scadriel in the Wax&Wayne era would be even more fun. I really enjoy magic and revolvers…
You never read any Raymond E. Feist books?o_O

The last game made in his setting was called Betrayal at Krondor in 1993.

Link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betrayal_at_Krondor

Wow, Myrth. You got that up quick.

Was I reading right that some of Riftwar was based of his D&D campaign? I've been recommended it by a few people.

A few other settings I've thought of after I sent the email.

Jules Verne
Edgar Rice Burroughs
HG Wells
and instead of The Matrix, Neuromancer

Verne and Edgar Rice Burroughs made a number of great settings. I can't just pick one. Burroughs though, a Tarzan setting might be interesting but John Carter might have more variety.

I haven't read any Ursula K. LeGuin stuff but I have seen a few shows she wrote. Can any settings be made from her work?

What about Ray Bradbury. It seems like a lot of his work falls under the same umbrella: Dark's Carnival; Fahrenheit 451; and the Martian Chronicles were all worked together is his collection The Illustrated Man.

Asimov? Robot novels and Foundation? Though he tied them together eventually I think they are very different settings. Foundation would have at least two distinct settings between the Galactic Empire at its peak and the growth of Foundation at its fall.

In the Stranger Things RPG, would the kids play D&D?

I always thought it would be cool to have an RPG in the world of the "True Game" books from the 1980s.

Last edited:
Roleplaying kids playing d&d is too deep a rabbit hole for me.

When I was a kid, I used to be very fond of the Way of the Tiger gamebooks. I always thought that world could make for a good RPG.

I'll pick the "something else" option, the fantastic Babylon Five universe. We don't have enough future/space-faring games, and this setting is so incredibly rich, I'm amazed someone hasn't done it already. This is something I'd through money at just to reward the attempt!!! (assuming it wasn't done by some laughable company/persons, ie, Electronic Arts, Lucas, etc).

Oh yes, Riftwar is totally worth reading, every single book, at least those from the original series. I didn't pick this option because I don't believe the original game could ever be equaled, let alone bettered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon_5_Roleplaying_Game

Looks like there is one

I had considered Red Dwarf as a lark for the list but it has one too, lol.

I'll pick the "something else" option, the fantastic Babylon Five universe. We don't have enough future/space-faring games, and this setting is so incredibly rich, I'm amazed someone hasn't done it already. This is something I'd through money at just to reward the attempt!!! (assuming it wasn't done by some laughable company/persons, ie, Electronic Arts, Lucas, etc).

I haven't read any Ursula K. LeGuin stuff but I have seen a few shows she wrote. Can any settings be made from her work?

If you're talking about Earthsea, Le Guin emphatically did not write the TV adaptations. She hated them.

Earthsea would be an interesting and different setting if you could get the magic system right, but I think that would be hard to pull off -- the whole idea is that knowing the "true names" of things or people allows you to control them. Once you know the true name of a dragon there's no "casts per day" on the use of its name, so it would be pretty hard to balance power levels of magic vs everything else. Cool idea, though -- like Deadfire it's an archipelago setting so you could have lots of little self-contained adventures on the different islands.

Last edited:
I voted for Riftwar but my second choice would be Mad Max. The challenge of that one would be integrating vehicle combat in some fashion that felt satisfying and is based on more than reflexes.

I would definitely play a Red Mars RPG - based on the work by Kim Stanley Robinson. A faction system and intrigue would be a must. Maybe a strategy RPG hybrid would work best.

Moorcocks world! And we still havent got a proper Conan single player rpg.

"Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis, and the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of.
Let me tell you of days of High Adventure..."

( Drums beat, dum-dum-dum)

I'm a sucker for low fantasy, world with raw, primal feel, magic rare, mysterious.
Or it (usually) gets too convoluted and outstretched: Marvel universe, TES, World of Warcraft, etc.

There is a great pen and paper put out by Chaosium, I think it was, that I played a lot back in the eighties that was set in the Younger Kingdoms. If I recall right I think Ken St Andre did the original game, and it was a great deal of fun, made me give up Chivalry and Sorcery for a bit! Might have been called Stormbringer or something along those lines, I'd pay a fair amount to see something similar come along for our computers to play.

I wouldn't mind a game based off the Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop. The gem magic is interesting. It would definitely fit joxer's need for adult themes too.

Back
Top Bottom