In-game anti-aliasing not working

doglikesparky

Watcher
Hi.

I've got an ATI Radeon HD 5770, using the latest Catalyst Control Center and drivers, downloaded and installed yesterday on a freshly setup windows 7 32bit system.

I can change the anti-aliasing settings in game, but it doesn't seem to stick. No AA whatever setting I try, and editing the ini file doesn't help.

I can enable the AA using CCC, but it adds an annoying large white halo around the edge of the screen.

Any suggestions for how to get the AA working in-game?

Ta!

Okay, I got it working... by installing it on my new Core i7 PC with an Nvidia GTX460 graphics card. Runs like a dream.

Well it did, until it crashed when saving and corrupted my file. Two hours gameplay lost.

I think I'm going to give up playing until the new official English 1.1 patch is out and hope I have more luck. (I'm using the GamersGate 1.0 version with the Russian voices and Wesp5's Unofficial Patch 1.3)

I ended up switching to nVidia too, and both this and White Gold run like a dream now.

ATI have lost me as a customer for a while, these weren't the only games I was having trouble with, CrossfireX sucks.

Sorry to hear about the corrupted file, but I haven't had a single crash using the Russian 1.1 patch, so hopefully the English 1.1 patch has the same effect.

I've nearly always been an ATI user apart from the excellent 7600gt I had several years ago - I think I was put off initially with Nvidia graphics cards because the 2D quality of the few I tried in the early '00s was not very good - less than sharp and some wobbliness.

I have to say, I'm impressed with the GTX460… same price as my 1 year old HD 5770, but kicks it hard in most games… though its probably helped I've moved from a Core 2 Duo @ 2.8GHz to an i7-950 @ 3GHz (I've tried overclocking to 4GHz without stability problems but my CPU cooler is not up to the task for long periods of that, so am holding off on pushing it too hard until I get something a bit beefier).

Anti-aliasing is a lot more effective on the Nvidia card, and the addition of the ambient occlusion setting really makes things look more realistic, or at least gives it a smoother shaded depth than without.

Only thing is it gets very hot, and doesn't do as good a job of chucking it out the back of the case as the ATI card. Also, a few games don't seem as well optimised for the Nvidia - STALKER Call Of Pripyat doesn't seem to run as smoothly, though generally looks better.

Anyway, looking forward to properly being able to get my teeth into Precursors… I was enjoying what I saw so far, even though I hadn't ventured much further than the spaceport, market and bar! Quite amusing helping a pissed-up bloke back to his long suffering wife, but I'm hoping side missions develop a bit further than fetching vodka for drunken bums etc. ;)

Whilst I'm waiting for the patch, I'm catching up on loads of great older games I've been playing on and off for the past 5 or 6 years… Morrowind, Freelancer, STALKER, The Witcher, Thief: Deadly Shadows, Dungeon Siege II and Risen… I've also got about a dozen more newer games lined up, all bought dirt cheap in the Steam Xmas sales… my social life is going to suffer this year methinks! Especially with the all the other good stuff coming out later this year: The Witcher 2, Deus Ex 3, SW: The Old Republic, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Portal 2, Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword on Wii and The Last Guardian on PS3. And hopefully, Half-Life 2 Episode 3. Please.

I just ordered a pair of 460s to replace my venerable ATI 4870s. The game still looked great and ran pretty well at highest settings until someone turned on a light, then it went from 20-30fps to 2.

goodbye ATI!

EDIT: Update - game runs perfectly with a single GTX460 (1g). Maxed settings with 2 in SLI and fps doesn't drop below 50, usually stays at 60 (where I have it capped in the ini)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom