Outward very early impressions

Maybe they will cave to demand and implement fast travel checkpoints. It could "cost" consumables to travel to maintain the survival element.

I doubt it. That would ruin the game but more importantly, they'd probably just tell you "this is not the game for you" as they've stated in the past and in their FAQ.

Well Fluent we will see how much of their target market they can alienate and stay afloat.

Their target market is already established. Those who want those features were not their target to begin with, as stated directly by the devs who stated "this game is not for you" when someone asked about fast travel and the like. It's also selling really well and has 75% positive reviews so they are doing well.

I don't have access to sales figures so I'll have to take your word for it in terms of sales volumes. Sounds like you are in the know.

Just started the game and played a few hours. I can definitely say it has a lot of open terrain that turns the game quickly into a walking simulator. Don't shoot the messenger.

On the Plus side yes it does remind me the Gothic games but the story is not this games strong point. Just finished paying for my house and I'm stuck where to go next.

Apparently I have to choose a faction and go to three different cities.

Just started the game and played a few hours. I can definitely say it has a lot of open terrain that turns the game quickly into a walking simulator. Don't shoot the messenger.

On the Plus side yes it does remind me the Gothic games but the story is not this games strong point. Just finished paying for my house and I'm stuck where to go next.

Apparently I have to choose a faction and go to three different cities.

Yep, you now have to choose a faction. You can explore the first area (Chersonese) or you can head directly for a city for a faction. The innkeeper gives you directions. Just make sure you're prepared for your journey!

@Todd, it had 11k+ players in game yesterday, which is pretty nice for a 10 man studio debut release. I've heard from other forum-goers there that it has sold well, and they are more in the know than I am (they follow the Discord).

I kind of enjoy the way they implemented the pistols. High damage, incredible long loading time for a single shot. But you can easily have 5 or 6 loaded pistols in your "belt" (quickslots).

I am having a blast with runic magic, so far I have 220 Mana and only 80 Health and Stamina. :p But hot dang, some of the battles are HARD and heart-pumping. I just survived killing some armored horror thing while a bunch of illuminated horrors were spitting acid at me in a tight corridor. I needed the chitin and got it, but it took me about 5 tries of having to sleep in the tent, get KO'd, come back, etc.. But wow, what a battle!

Runic magic is fun when you run around dropping arcane traps behind you as the enemies chase you. Also, the healing spell is handy in a pinch and having an ethereal sword or decay claymore for easier enemies is great fun, too. I'm basically full mage at this point and even have Mana regen. I also Reveal Souls which means any dead body you come across (even skeletons) can have souls you can use to regain Mana. Very useful.

Quick, let's add fast travel to trivialize it all! :D

And at least Couch played more than 5 minutes, so his opinion is a legitimate one. :)

Last edited:
Fluent do you sport embroidered underwear for Outward? Or do you just don an Outward superhero suit anytime you're at keyboard?

What are you even talking about? Who here is gushing about the game? It seems like people around here like to project things.

I hope you're not speaking from personal experience. I've heard about you guys in Columbus. ;)

No, when I was around 19, I worked out at this gym and a body builder told me how his kidneys were failing and he was always in pain. He was around 30 years old. This scared me straight and I always went the natural route.

Maybe the Ann Arbor football team should do roids so they can beat OSU this decade ;)

Cowardly gear, *tzk*.

You know what cowardly gear really is? Hiding behind layers and layers of full plate mail. If you want to be bold, wear nothing but a 20 kg gold chain around your neck into battle.

Anyways, I like my master trader garb, for running, and for the additional pouch space. :D

I've read this thread and many others on Outward. Also watched a number of youtube videos. There is a lot of information about the game's various mechanics (survival, crafting, combat) and visual presentation. But there's very little info in the way of quests and story. Is there a real story going on here? Or is the game largely just about survival for the sake of survival?

The game is often compared to Gothic. Gothic had a story behind it and the ultimate goal was to escape the barrier. Is there any kind of substantive story in this game?

I've read this thread and many others on Outward. Also watched a number of youtube videos. There is a lot of information about the game's various mechanics (survival, crafting, combat) and visual presentation. But there's very little info in the way of quests and story. Is there a real story going on here? Or is the game largely just about survival for the sake of survival?

The game is often compared to Gothic. Gothic had a story behind it and the ultimate goal was to escape the barrier. Is there any kind of substantive story in this game?

Yes. Once you join a faction you start taking place in the story and learning the lore of the faction.

Back
Top Bottom