Greedfall - New Details

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
OnlySP reports that the Greedfall devs learned from the failures of Technomancer:

GreedFall Combat Learning From the Failures of The Technomancer

Jehanne Rousseau, the creative director of Spiders, the studio behind The Technomancer, has revealed new details on the developer’s upcoming project GreedFall.

In a recent interview with IGN, Rosseau mentions The Technomancer‘s flawed combat system, which the developer is looking to rectify in its next title, with the director going in-depth about the streamlining and changes the studio has been working on:

“For GreedFall we decided to create a story mode, where combat will be easier, and we removed the percentage system for a gauge system instead. Critical actions can now be used as soon as the gauge is filled up, and can be applied to any type of combat action. It can be used to transform a simple healing spell into a powerful group spell for example, or of course to give the deathblow to an enemy. These changes in the combat make it more tactical, and we hope it will improve our players’s experience.”

GreedFall, then, does not appear to be a sidewards transition, but a huge step forward for the developer. In terms of scope, the title is looking to improve upon The Technomancer, in both the scale of the world and the way in which players traverse it, with Spiders “[deciding] to greatly improve the size of the game to give more importance to the exploration.”

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

I'm expecting author B budget RPG like The Technomancer, and that's fine by me. As I enjoyed the developers past games. Just wish Focus Home would give more funding.

Is Greedfall connected to Mars: War Logs and The Technomancer in any way? I quite enjoyed M:WL for what it was. I still need to play TT.

Is Greedfall connected to Mars: War Logs and The Technomancer in any way? I quite enjoyed M:WL for what it was. I still need to play TT.
I don't think it's connected as the setting is colonial. One example is before the America Revolution with muskets and swords. Hopefully combat is better then the Risen games.

I don't think it's connected as the setting is colonial. One example is before the America Revolution with muskets and swords. Hopefully combat is better then the Risen games.

Ok, I just Googled it, and it looks interesting. 17th century setting mixed with high fantasy. I'll definitely keep an eye on it.

In a recent interview with IGN, Rosseau mentions The Technomancer‘s flawed combat system
Say what?
I don't remember any flaws with the combat system itself. What made it a chore were endless respawns.

I adored Mars, Technomancer was good, but sorry, I'm not buying GreedFall if plodding through all the same respawns over and over won't be addressed.
EDIT:
Yea, I knew I've already posted it before:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36785

I love Mars War Logs and played it three times, it was soaking with character, atmosphere and potential to set it apart from competition. I also like its combat system.

Not played the Technomancer, but if it is as good as MWL, then it is a good game and the combat in the videos look more involved. Rousseau seems to want to make the combat easier in Greedfall - I doubt this was the problem with the Technomancer as Joxer said.

I'm expecting author B budget RPG like The Technomancer, and that's fine by me. As I enjoyed the developers past games. Just wish Focus Home would give more funding.

Done. Greedfall has bigger budget than Technomancer.

First glimpse of Greedfall's world looked promising.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lIn5hdVJhk

SpoonFULL said:
Rousseau seems to want to make the combat easier in Greedfall

Not really. They want to add there "story mode".

I hope they will correct those respawns too.

Done. Greedfall has bigger budget than Technomancer.

First glimpse of Greedfall's world looked promising.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lIn5hdVJhk
Good but we'll see when the game is released.
Say what?
I don't remember any flaws with the combat system itself. What made it a chore were endless respawns.
That's the one thing about all their games I hate. They force you to constantly backtrack for quests, and the enemies always re-spawn in the same spots. Every damn time.

They went overboard with backtracking but combat was perfectly fine (in fact it was rather easy and fun once you got how it worked).

I've played The Technomancer three times and I loved it, looking forward to playing Greedfall. :)

Right, Technomancer combat was fine. It was pretty fluid, coherent, looked ok. Nice art on the aliens too :)

But those endless lengthy treks back and forth through the same corridors... respawns made them worse but it was quest and map design which needed improving.

Good but we'll see when the game is released.

Of course. The budget is still much smaller than budget for Horizon Zero Dawn or Andromeda. :) Focus is very economical company.

They force you to constantly backtrack for quests, and the enemies always re-spawn in the same spots. Every damn time.

Its mainly due to budget (and engine, I assume). There was very solid number of quests in Technomancer but maps were not big enough for such content. It also make perfect sense in terms of story to go back to the first town. But they should create some new areas there for second chapter.
Greedfall should be much bigger with big open maps.

The backtracking was caused by the budget. They had to recycle areas a lot and it wasn't fun after a while.

They have ambitious ideas but they've always lacked the means to make them come true.

If things work out with Greedfall it could really be something special.

Back
Top Bottom