Star Citizen Info Thread

Promise me you've signed some donation papers for your brain after your passing, joxer!

It's for science :)

Sorry, as usual I'm sticking with nature and it's own ways thus am gonna feed some worms instead. Or beasts. Or cannibals. "Science" that still ignores collective conscience can rot.

It was like Star Citizen - except without the manpower, craftsmanship and money.
Money is what might destroy Star Citizen. If it ever finally gets finished or abandoned.

Now now lets play nice. Though how much money has that game earned?o_O

It's not really a game yet :)

But they've raised around 190 million dollars in crowd-funding so far.

But I've created a thread for that. No need to derail this one.

It's not really a game yet :)

But they've raised around 190 million dollars in crowd-funding so far.

But I've created a thread for that. No need to derail this one.
Thanks this will be my last comment about Star Citizen in this thread, but damn I could make twenty traditional RPGs with that budget. Excuse me now moving on.o_o

Thanks this will be my last comment about Star Citizen in this thread, but damn I could make twenty traditional RPGs with that budget. Excuse me now moving on.o_o

They're not going for anything like traditional. They have 500 people working across 5 studios - and that's not cheap.

But, yeah, please use the SC info thread if you want to know more.

Not trying to knock SC, I just think it's crazy how much money they made and that over-funding of that magnitude can actually destroy companies and projects. Kotaku's(?) article on what's happened with them over the years is thorough and very interesting.

Not trying to knock SC, I just think it's crazy how much money they made and that over-funding of that magnitude can actually destroy companies and projects. Kotaku's(?) article on what's happened with them over the years is thorough and very interesting.

Yes and full of misinformation, lies and is more or less a complete fabrication created at the behest of Derek Smart - but, again, please use the appropriate thread if you want to have a conversation about SC :)

Yes and full of misinformation, lies and is more or less a complete fabrication created at the behest of Derek Smart - but, again, please use the appropriate thread if you want to have a conversation about SC .
It's Kotaku so yes it's full of misinformation, and a fabrication, but he has been right before. Just look at Fallout 76 he had the scoop months before it was revealed.

Anyway dammit I said I wouldn't mention SC again.:wall:

It's Kotaku so yes it's full of misinformation, and a fabrication, but he has been right before. Just look at Fallout 76 he had the scoop months before it was revealed.

Anyway dammit I said I wouldn't mention SC again.

You guys just can't leave it alone, can you :)

The reason I can't really invest so much in how people base their opinions on misinformation, instead of doing actual research - is that it's too common. If I invested in it and felt the need to point out every little bit of misinformation about Star Citizen - I'd go insane.

I will let the game speak for itself.

The closer it gets to being what I'm thinking it will be - the more people will cry foul and be upset - because it means they're that much closer to being utterly wrong.

That's how people react when they're in danger of having been mistaken in public :)

So, I can't wait for more fake articles or Glassdoor reviews by people impersonating former CIG employees. Only recently, John Pritchett had to publically state that "his review" of CIG as a place of work was done my someone impersonating him.

By a very strange coincidence, Derek Smart was very quick to point this review out on Twitter ;)

Not the first time he's done that, either.

It's really quite fascinating to watch that man slowly disintegrate. Not in a good way, though.

Yes and full of misinformation, lies and is more or less a complete fabrication created at the behest of Derek Smart - but, again, please use the appropriate thread if you want to have a conversation about SC :)
I guess we didn't read the same article, maybe it wasn't Kotaku. The article I read was full of original sources and the led dev himself answered several questions about the history of development and the reasoning behind his decisions.

Based on *that* article, I would give the game a 50/50 chance of both being released and not being an absurd clusterf*&% on completion. I personally think opening five studios in several different countries is absurd but it's not my money so whatevs.

I don’t know what you read, but there are certainly no guarantees :)

My attitude to this one has been the same for a long time - looks a lot like a trainwreck waiting to happen, but I'll be very happy if they actually deliver. I've bemoaned the lack of high-end PC games pushing the boundaries (like we used to get), so it does me no good if this fails spectacularly.

Having obligated themselves to a very open and public development process, it's not a surprise to me that so many people react with scepticism to the vast array of challenges, delays and changes in plans.

People are not used to seeing the sausage being made, and not everyone really cares about what goes on behind the scenes on huge and ambitious projects.

There are examples of other huge games with massive changes and scope alterations, and I recommend checking out something like the development of Bioshock Infinite and how much of the content they essentially ended up throwing out - or several of the bigger Blizzard games (where Titan is the most infamous and an actual failure) - even though we've only been exposed to a small fraction of what's usually kept hidden and internal.

The reason I have faith in Star Citizen isn't that I have this magical ability to predict the future.

I do have a lot of experience with the industry in terms of having been fascinated by all aspects of developing games since I was a kid - but mostly I've just followed the project very closely indeed, as have many of the more dedicated backers.

If some people think it's a cult or whatever, that's not a big issue for me. It's actually a little funny.

The majority of the public have only exposed themselves to bits and pieces of information - and it doesn't help that there's a sizable "anti-community" in place that actively creates false information in an effort to bring the project down. Sounds crazy, I know - but that's just what happens when things get bold and big on another level.

A lot of people are fascinated by such things and don't really care about "the truth" - and I guess I don't blame them much.

I do think the game will speak for itself - and I'm very confident it will eventually release and be very special indeed.

Obviously, it's still just a game - and not the perfect creation that some of the more passionate fans seem to believe.

I hope I'm right, but I'm perfectly capable of admitting my mistake when I'm not.

Certainly, like I said, there are no guarentees - even with the best of intentions or the most solid foundation.

In Star Citizen news today,

Due to the failure of a SC backer to secure a refund in small claims court, Cloud Imperium Games have updated their TOS agreement to force everyone to waive their consumer rights for refunds on any pledges over 2 weeks old.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/8ynrel/i_lost_in_court/

As usual, Derek Smart had enough comments to give Dart nightmares
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/1018126825598406656

Please remember the correct way to play Star Citizen to get maximum enjoyment from it:

1. Create an offline copy of your hangar log and other account details. CIG may close your account at any point in the process.

2. Calculate the expected refund amount. Subscriptions, tickets to events and shipped physical items are not refundable. Notice that if you have received any gifts, CIG will refund you only up to the amount you have spent yourself.

3. Check your payment details. If your last payment was made years ago, your information is likely to be out of date. The easiest way is to create a Paypal account for the refund. If you already have a Paypal account, make sure it's still valid.

4. Request a full refund via email or use this form. Be polite but firm. Include your RSI account name and the expected refund amount, and the up to date payment details if they have changed. It may take a few days before you get a response, or even longer during holidays and big events.

5. You may receive an email asking you to reconsider. There's no need to argue your position, simple "I would like to proceed with my refund" will do.

6. Once the refund is confirmed, it may take up two weeks before the funds appear on your bank or Paypal account.

7. If you don't get a response, or if your request is denied, let them know you're seeking external assistance and file a formal complaint with LA DCBA, FTC, CA Attorney General and BBB (if in the UK contact a local Trading Standards office). Contact your bank and initiate a chargeback process. If you paid with Paypal, open a dispute.

8. If all else fails, see a local attorney. Small-claims court may also be an option.

HA…HA……HA…sorry cant help but laugh at that huge Cluterfuck/SNAFU. Really it's getting so bad when you can't sue anybody due to some small clause added to the TOS.

It's distasteful how the backers are acting on the official reddit supporting this company.

I love these narratives and the fools who buy into them ;)
Yes same as the fools who blindly support a developer with a certain can do no wrong attitude. I seriously want to read the court documents to laugh my ass off even more.

Bottom Line: I'm glad I never backed this game for various reasons.:biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom