Persona 5

Anyone be playing this, currently? I'll be damned if I'm not tempted by it.

Not yet but I surely will. After I finish Atelier Firis which should be in a couple of days, next comes Torment: ToN, maybe after that it'll be P5, not sure. Too many games to play, too much time (and yet, right now more games than time).

Copied from the "Last game you finished" thread:

Just finished Persona 5. Played it in a PS4. It's a long game, took me about 125 hours.
Combat is turn based, you have a group of teammates, 3 of them can fight with you at any given time, and you can switch to others out of combat, or if a certain Confidant gets ranked enough you can do it during combat. There are no random battles (you can see them) and there is no enemy respawn as long as you don't leave the area you're in.

In short the story is that you're a high school student that gets on probation for a crime you didn't commit, and has to go stay under a guardian for a year. During that year you'll get to live the (more or less) daily life of a student while also going to the metaworld, a world where you go fight with personas you recruit and your teammates. Personas are basically monsters and creatures you can recruit from battles, each with different abilities, resistances and stats. They level up too but after 5 or so level ups they learn all their innate skills and you're better off fusing them with other personas to make new higher level personas who can inherit some of the skills from its parents. Sort of like you're constantly shifting gears. For battle you get to hold a certain amount of personas to use so there is a tactical decision of which personas to bring with you.
The second aspect of the game is that of personal relations, you have teammates and other important people that represent different Confidence types, as you get closer to them you get bonuses when you fuse personas of that aspect, plus your friends get new abilities or bonuses too (like, a teammate can stop a hit that would kill you or cure you of some abnormal status, or a shopkeeper giving you discount or access to special equipment, etc).

I loved the game of course, but it has a few things I didn't care for. One, they brought back Persona negotiations when getting a Persona. I prefer previous PErsonas where you just got them. Each Persona has a personality and you're supposed to pick responses depending on that but most of the times it didn't make sense to me which response was 'funny' or 'serious'. Another aspect I don't care for (and this is common for all Persona games) is that when the protagonist dies it's game over. At least in this game you can retry a boss battle which minimizes the effect, but specially in the first part of the game, an enemy may surprise you, hit you with your weakness, hit you again and game over.
But the thing that I really didn't like about this one is that in previous Personas I could plan what to do each day with little issue, but in P5 it feels like most days are scripted, so I stopped attempting to plan ahead early on and just went with the flow.
One more nit-pick perhaps is that this takes the "Yay we killed the boss! oh wait, there's more!" aspect of JRPGs to new levels, that's part of the 125 hour reason.
Still, great game, hope I don't have to wait a long time for P6 (just wish they made it a college game so I can finally order a beer!).

Last edited:
I've seen some screenshots from that game and to be honest I'm kinda not impressed. Not impressed enough to ask "when PC port". A question though, does it allow saving anywhere?

I've seen some screenshots from that game and to be honest I'm kinda not impressed. Not impressed enough to ask "when PC port". A question though, does it allow saving anywhere?

When you go to the metaverse (where you do the combat), you can save at the start, and in safe rooms (which is also where you can teleport from one safe room to another). You also can use 'go home' items that teleport you to the start though I never used it.

When PC port? :devil:

(Probably never so I've only been skimming most of the info on this game.)

When PC port? :devil:

(Probably never so I've only been skimming most of the info on this game.)

You never know. It seems Japanese devs are starting to take look at PC as a viable platform. For example the new Trail of Cold steel game is announced for PS4 and PC...

I'll definitely give it a proper look it if shows up.

Is it a good game for someone who has never played P3 and P4? Frankly, I did not even play a proper jRPG in a while, but I always loved FF VII-IX and Dragon Quests. What do you guys think? Should I try it?

Is it a good game for someone who has never played P3 and P4? Frankly, I did not even play a proper jRPG in a while, but I always loved FF VII-IX and Dragon Quests. What do you guys think? Should I try it?

They basically just share the concept of using Personas, but as afar as story they're all totally independent.
Having said that, if you can play P3 and/or P4 some day, do so, they're both great games on their own.

http://www.pcgamer.com/yakuza-and-persona-are-on-that-list-of-games-sega-want-to-bring-to-pc/

Yakuza and Persona are 'on that list' of games Sega wants to bring to PC:

"Of course it's something we're talking about it… that would just be incredible to bring that to the PC audience."
I don't care much about Persona games as, cmon, schooling? At my age?
I mean, all I can remember from those days are "sweethearts" and how silly I was (or better said, what stupid choices my hormons made), nothing else.

But I saw their completely crazy last Yakuza game, I want that one. Desperately!

Tis a glorious time to own a personal computer, if you enjoy the eastern rpgs. Looks like we just keep getting more and more, one day I hope we get some of their Wizardry releases.

I agree with wolfing, we can play Persona 5 without playing previous Persona games.
I myself have only played Persona 4 and since then I'm immediately fell in love with this franchise. My three most favorite aspects about Persona would be:
1) The concept of Persona: this is related to psychology, which I've learned a bit and it's quite interesting for me to analyze characters and the personas come along with them. There are tons of symbolism in Persona and it's quite fascinating. Take Persona 5 MC's Arsene persona for example, he's a famous thief which has a demonic look. But still this guy wears gentleman clothes with 2 black wings behind its back. the wings represent the cape and also refer to the freedom of thieves.
2) The storytelling: I haven't played Persona 1 & 2 so I can't really give much opinion about them. But I've watched Persona 3 walkthrough, played Persona 4 and 5 and I've to say the story is so intriguing. All of these games can get us involved deeply with the world, we felt close to the characters even though we know these characters are just fiction. And each I finish a Persona game for first time, there is always a feeling left within me which is hard to explain without spoiling (which I refuse).
3) The reflection of Japanese society: Each game of Persona is like reflecting a problem of Japanese society. I would like to discuss more about this but I guess we don't like spoilers for now so let's leave it for another day.

I would like to discuss more about this but I guess we don't like spoilers for now so let's leave it for another day.

Some info you feel would ruin a game for others you can put in spoiler tags. Like this (just without spaces before closing bracket):
[spoiler ]sdbsdfgbsdgvbdfivbdvbjdbfil[/spoiler ]

And it'll display like this:
sdbsdfgbsdgvbdfivbdvbjdbfil

Well, I played only Persona 3( almost finished, but unfortunately my save files were deleted...70 hours...) and currently playing Persona 4. Have to say, that those games are amazing. Combat system is pretty simple, but that doesn't mean that the game is easy. And those social links idea... I had doubts about it, before I played Persona 3 FES, but know I must admit, that this social life aspect and classic shin megami tensei style are mixed together very well. And I really hope, that Persona 5 will be released on PC.

https://rpcs3.net/blog/2017/07/13/persona-5-is-now-playable-in-rpcs3/

Is Persona 5 Really Playable?

Yes, a few people have already beaten the entire 100+ hours long game in RPCS3 so essentially every issue is known to the developers, and all of the critical problems have been fixed. As the game looks more or less fine, performs more or less fine, and is provably beatable now without any strange hacks and workarounds we classify it as playable, but not perfect. One important aspect of this is that the Persona 5 engine is “framerate unlocked” so to speak, that is the game runs at full speed at almost any frame rate, like most PC games do for example. The actual interval where it runs at full speed is 15 – 60 fps, and for example an overclocked Haswell i5 can expect to play the game at about 10 – 20 fps in school and around Tokyo, and at about 20 – 30 fps in dungeons and battles.

Don't say wtf.
Persona 5 is, I'll say borderline playable, on PC via an emulator.

I think I said already that I'm not sure about this game, I mean, I don't feel like it's something I'd ever buy if ported on PC, maybe eventually I would just to see what the fuss was about.

But here's some good news for those who don't own playstation vita nor nintendo wii u yet want to play outdated graphics games.

https://myanimelist.net/news/51722029

TV Anime Series of 'Persona 5' Announced

Persona 5 the Animation: The Day Breakers special event Junkissa LeBlanc Yaneura Sakusen Kaigi was held on Sunday and announced that a TV Anime series of the previously broadcasted TV Special will be aired in 2018. The game cast members will reprise in the TV anime series, in addition to the cast members that already appeared in TV Special. A-1 Pictures will be animating the series.

That's that.
I've already watched Zestiria instead of buying the grindfest game, and now A-1 is saving all of us who refuse to buy mushrooms.
What I want to say, I'm not interested in this game so much to wish it being ported to PC, probably wouldn't buy that port at all. It looks boring and I'm not even sure why it got so popular. But won't refuse watching anime series.

From hint on Atlus official site, it could mean exactly that:
http://atlus.com/atlus-and-emulation/
“We understand that many Persona fans would love to see a PC version. And while we don’t have anything to announce today, we are listening!”

But I believe the reason for rather harsh move with that takedown notice is some ongoing contract where they signed the game won't appear on PC for some number on years.
Whatever, I'm still not buying.

Back
Top Bottom