Fallout 4 Mods you use to make settlements fun and interesting

JackOfOwls

Sentinel
There's no real point to settlements in the vanilla game other than for harvesting resources and to cater to your freaky The Sims fetish. What mods do you use to make them fun, interesting and/or challenging?

I don't use many myself as I am overall fine with the vanilla setup as a foundation. On the other hand I don't get into extensive settlement building while some do treat it like a SIMS game (which is fine - everyone has different play styles and one plus with this game is it lets people play the style they want) so that might make it easier for me to like the vanilla base.

I also like things to be lore friendly that fits the theme of the world - that fits in with its own crazy logic and style. A lot of settlement mods pretty much turn settlements into a modern pristine urban settlement and not into those.

Anyhow my favorites:

Better Settlers - it adds variety to the settlers so more faces and more distinct looks. Can also have some more variety on outfits and weapons. Overall lore friendly and not over powered. While I don't use them the mod also offers other options to make settlers mortal and to let players get deeper into the attack aspects done on settlements.

CWSS - Adds a much needed layer of interaction and immersion with the settlers as well as the player and followers. Lots of options and styles to choose from for bathrooms and kitchen related furniture that is interactive.

Cooking Stations - Another fun mod that adds some more diversity to cooking and lets settlers interact with the cooking areas.

Junk Fences - An "ease of life" mod that adds attachment nodes to junk fences making them much easier to line up and build walls.

Think that is it. Some side mods add a few things - like Camping mod lets you add dog beads and some other options to settlements. I have a small mod that adds metal shutters to the Red Rocket.

Last edited:
I mostly use four mods to help with settlements.

Sim Settlements - http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21872/?http://
Allows you to build zone objects that tell the settlers what type of buildings to create in different areas of your settlement and they will do so. Includes a progression system, a more interesting settler needs system, and rewards to help settlements matter more.
Easier Settlements - http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20178/?
Easier Settlements for Far Harbor - http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21446/?
This is a mod for those who don't want to spend time every game creating and fixing their settlements. Some places such as Hangman's Alley have had a major overhaul.
Homemaker - http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1478/?
Homemaker is a mod that greatly expands on the vanilla crafting system for settlements, and adds over 1000 new, fully-balanced objects to craft, ranging from cars, to refrigerators to working street lights and everywhere in between! The mod also features a new Institute build set, with placeable snapping walls, floors, stairways and more! Whether you're a mad scientist, longing for the good ol' days, just trying to scratch out a new living in the wastes, or a sadistic raider, Homemaker has something for you!

I like the idea of mortal NPCs and companions (a huge complaint I have with vanilla Fallout 4 is the lack of them... I consider FO4 to be the worst of the Fallouts partly because of this reason, though at the same time it's still a very compelling game) so Better Settlers with the mortal patch will probably be my first settlement mod on a second playthrough. I'm currently at lvl 50 and just left The Institute on my first FO4 playthrough and have only a minimum amount of mods that don't change or add anything major to the vanilla game. One of my favorite Fallout memories was in New Vegas and forcing myself to protect a mortal companion, and when I lost her to death in a battle, it actually meant something other than save scumming & Reload Saved Game. I let her go.

Surprsied that I haven't seen this one mentioned but Place Anywhere is my must have mod for my settlements. Makes it so those annoying clipping walls can be placed more freely, I have built a 5 storey tower out of one of the buildings in Sanctuary. Some others I use-

CROP- Create your own Planter which makes planting food way easier and less space consuming.
BOC- Bank of the Commonwealth which is just a cool little thing to have your settlers working in
Repairable Sanctuary- I hated all those really broken looking buildings so used this to repair them; this particular mod ended up not getting updated too much thought so it became outdated but lots others are out there.

For those using Sim Settlements, how well does it work with other mods? I was going to download it when it first came out but was scared away by some issues and how long it would take to get properly running.

Back
Top Bottom