Kingmaker - Interview with Chris Avellone

I'm also thinking about pledging. I loved Evil Islands and HoMMV. And Silent Storm was also pretty good. And I can never have enough RTwP games ala Icewind Dale/Baldur's Gate. And the fact that they're using an already established world, means they can't screw that up.

EDIT: I was feeling generous and I just backed it at the 95$ level. I hope I don't regret it.

I thought about pledging, but I'm going to hold off for now. I've never played the Pathfinder PnP game, but it looks extremely derivative of D&D.

The thing that gives me pause about this though is the art style. It looks overly cartoony to me in both the monster design and color palette. It doesn't seem to be bothering anyone else, but I'm not a fan of that style at all.

Yep, that was my reaction as well. And I'm very picky about stuff like that. So you are not the only one.

That said, its cool that others like it and are pledging. I'm always in favor of the rpg community kick-starting independent games like this. (lol, definitely have my "diplomacy" hat on here, at least in this thread... :p)

I'm having a sword coast legends flashback. Great rule set and setting but poor dev talent. I'm holding out hope but we will see. Why are the D&D and Pathfinder licenses going to these relatively obscure dev / publisher teams?

Swoard Coast Legends issue wasn't poor dev talent. Not being a 100% accurate implementation of D&D doesn't mean the devs couldn't have done that. Sword Coast Legends design happened because it wasn't originally a D&D game and WotC doesn't give a shit about D&D rules implementation in games…unlike some of their rabbit fans.

The is very few not obscure studios that do not belong to a big publishers who wants to own IPs and who consider a failure anything that doesn't sale over 2m copies in the first week, something the obscure D&D and Pathfinder IPs can't do.

Also, obscure devs don't cost as much, especially Russian ones, and Paizo/WotC aren't that rich.

WotC isn't rich? If true, some huge money mismanagement was involved.

WotC isn't rich? If true, some huge money mismanagement was involved.

Hasbro is rich, WoTC isn't and Hasbro doesn't seems interested in rain money on them to make video games for something they don't acknowledge to exist [D&D]. Hasbro only care about Magic The Gathering.

edit: in fact, looki here what was announced today (and technically it's a recruiting announcement).

Last edited:
oldchris.jpg

I'm bloated and washed up and need your moneys please

Back
Top Bottom