Far Cry 5 - About Joseph Seed @ TechRaptor

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Robert Grosso takes a look at the charismatic villain of Far Cry 5, the fanatical Father Joseph Seed:

Character Select: The Fate of Freedom

[...]

Far Cry 5’s charismatic villain, the fanatical Father Joseph Seed of Eden’s Gate, fits this role fully, and per Hay’s vision, the game’s entire being reflects that simple charge that is all too sinister for us: “what if he was right all along?”

Part of the charm of Far Cry 5 is how it does tackle extremities in the face of divisiveness. The setting is perfect to demonstrate this. Rural Montana is as exotic of a location you can find in the mainland United States. Sparsely populated and filled with savage beauty, it continues the trend of Far Cry games providing beautiful locales for its players. For many, Montana is a temporary getaway from urban life for a short excursion into the unknown. For others, it is an exaggerated portrait of their lifestyles and sensibilities.

Some of the criticism thrown at Far Cry 5 has been the lack of a political stance upon the game. Yet, the game is perhaps one of the most politically sound ever done by Ubisoft, mostly because of how it presents extreme ideology. The Cult of Eden’s Gate is as fanatical it comes as an ideological framework, but the Resistance movement, the denizens of Hope County, represent a more varied form of ideological beliefs that often reflect the extremities of the ideology thrown at them.

Part of this is how Ubisoft treats the characters of Far Cry 5 through extreme personalities. The world itself is populated by conservative stereotypes with conservative values, and for some, the fact that the game doesn’t tackle contemporary political divisions misses the point of their representation. The caricature of rural conservatives as fanatical “preppers” clinging to their guns as a safety blanket is strong for both gameplay reasons (prepper stashes and tons of guns in a first-person shooter) and through real-life sensibilities that have shaped how we view issues, such as gun ownership in a time where the U.S is currently grappling with the prospect of gun reform. It is a problem that needs addressing regardless of our beliefs, and the recent movements for reform to gun laws in the U.S. has become a political hot potato that is hard to ignore. But, a game like Far Cry 5 thrives on the use of guns in its gameplay, so it is disingenuous to say the game is pro or anti-gun in a political sense. What the game does achieve, however, is showcasing the malignant uses of guns as the tools they are on both sides.

[...]
More information.

They are not charismatic, they are just annoying and badly written. The plot is, if we can call that a plot, terminally stupid. Getting captured 9 times by omniscient idiots who never manage to kill you nevertheless is tiresome.

Actually the game is only really enjoyable when that retarded story is out of the way.

Yea. Wait for $10 Steam sale on this one.

Not even that price can make me buy it.

I went roleplaying Chien and watched someone else playing and recording a mission in FC5:

1. retarded mission scenario
2. a player who never uses F for takedown
3. a player who tries to burn objective levers, I mean, wtf
4. a player who, seems at least, deliberately stalls to earn more cash from viewers
5. or is that player that stupid?!

One mission and one twitcher was enough to make me sick of this sequel.
Also, I won't rp Chien again for a long long time after this. Have to be careful about my blood pressure, I'm not gettin' any younger. :)

Console player, he has sent 4 molotov on a metal door closed doing no harm to the door but burning himself during the process.

2. a player who never uses F for takedown

A lost opportunity to recruit for this site. This streamer's mechanic levels qualify him or her as a well fitting member of this site. He or she would have felt at home.

The plot is, if we can call that a plot, terminally stupid. Getting captured 9 times by omniscient idiots who never manage to kill you nevertheless is tiresome.

They value conversion over killing as cultists.

They value conversion over killing as cultists.

Yeah, the conversion of the Dragonborn?
Your char is a mere deputy and has no more value than the thousand of tortured civilian corpses you see in every houses in the whole game.
When you meet cultists they are generally in the process of torturing, burning and/or slaughtering anything moving, and that include the animals.

No. The character has great value as it stands out just after the intro. It is stressed when doing nothing.

The character is special to the cult.

Back
Top Bottom