Posting habits

crpgnut

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
I've noticed many people post something they're passionate about and then feel the need to defend that viewpoint to the death. Why? It's just your opinion. People are going to have differences. Are any of you actually being paid to back said opinion? Nope.

I personally will make threads and really only go back if somebody @crpgnut; 's me. I'll read a handful of posts, but if someone disagrees that's their prerogative. I guess I don't get arguing or endless debates just for the habit of it.

Just my 2¢ :D

P.S. I admit to staunchly defending Skyrim, but that's mostly in jest :biggrin:

It's not just posting; it's everything. And the word "passionate" is people's excuse to do it. I just heard one political commentator shout down someone on T.V. to their face, then excuse her own behavior by saying, "I'm sorry; it's just a subject I'm passionate about."

Everyone these days fights tooth and nail to the death about every damn thing. It hardly even matters what the subject is. You're not allowed to be wrong. You're not allowed to make a mistake, even though being wrong and making mistakes is how we learn. Only those who can demonstrate their purity of thought from the beginning of time are worthy of being heard.

It's all a bunch of nonsense.

I'll defend my mushrooms suck, grinding sucks, lootboxes suck, etc viewpoint till I die so there. :D

When it comes to actual tastes however... I said once, maybe twice that TW3 Triss>Yen. That's it. You don't agree, okay. Your choice. I know what I like, you know what you like.

About actual "posting habits"...
Some days I have absolutely no desire to write anything. Some days I have a need to comment even silly P&R stuff. And that's it. No rule.
However, even if I'm in the spam'n'troll mood, when a thread starts to bore me by being too long or discussing something over and over page after page, I start ignoring it.

I read an article the other day that nowadays we tend to talk instead of simply shutting up and listening. Listening to what the other has to say, to ask questions, not out of politeness but because you are curious about what the answer will be. Listening, but also to just say nothing for a while, to let any (un)comfortable silence be broken by the other one, to see whether s/he will say something unexpected. When people get the feeling you heard what they were saying they feel connected.

This talking, the article said, is everywhere, e.g. people on YT, Instagram, WA, to show the world all sorts of things about themselves, things that is happening to THEM, things that matter to THEM.

And I agree. Aren’t young ones being taught to be the center of attention, and that being quiet or having no opinion (yet) is dull, and only for losers? You must be able to speak up, speak up for yourself now before somebody else gets the spotlight. ;)

The article continued: when everybody is talking there is hardly anyone listening, hardly anyone paying attention to what is actually being said or done, so the need for recognition is even greater than before, at the start. Yes, I thought: you could see it that way: all in an emotional desert longing for loneliness to be lifted.

Anyway that or it must be something in the water. ;)

Mind you, @crpgnut;, the Watch is a place of discussion (well and news ofc). It would be a bit weird if people started to stimulate silence. So I’m definitely not doing that here. :)
Also, what you regard as ‘defending’, might be something different: people like to see others agree with them, and when that goal can not be reached: to be understood at least. When that does not seem to be the case, they get frustrated and double their efforts. Or blame the other one for not paying attention/being an idiot. :)

Last edited:
The article continued: when everybody is talking there is hardly anyone listening, hardly anyone paying attention to what is actually being said or done, so the need for recognition is even greater than before, at the start. Yes, I thought: you could see it that way: all in an emotional desert longing for loneliness to be lifted.

My grand mother used to tell me that too much of anything is bad. Too much happiness, too much freedom etc are all just as bad as too much sadness and too little freedom etc. She has always maintained that everything in moderation. I never agreed with her when I was young but I am beginning to see the wisdom in her words as I grew older!

Why I say this? I think we focus too much on the individual in the world now, specially the western world, instead of the society as whole. This has lead to very entitled new generation who only cares about THEMselves. Everything has to revolves around THEM. Since each individual is unique there are infinite numbers of these demand etc. They are no longer willing to give up something for others. This is why everybody is talking and no one is listening. Too much individual freedom got us here or at least that's my theory!

Having said all that, I don't think we will ever have nice equilibrium as well where the needs of the individual and the society are finely balanced! The pendulum will swing from one to the other, too much individual freedom too much authoritarian system etc.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with defending some thing you’re passionate about. Wether one should be passionate about video games, I guess is another story. There’s also a difference between defending something passionately and just being belligerent.

I actually don’t have a problem with someone defending their view point. It’s more annoying to me when posts don’t get responded to.

So much so I actually recently looked at my post history ( for this year) and found that I get a response to my posts about 40% of the time. So 60% of the time I might as well just talk to myself rather than take the time to type it. I’ll admit sometimes I post stuff that’s just one line and not really much to respond to but some of them were actually me quoting someone else.

Now don’t get me wrong I don’t take it personally or sit up at night wondering why no one will talk to me. :lol: However some of these post are long with quite a bit of thought behind them and it makes me wonder if I only get a 40% response rate is it really a good way to spend my time?

It's runaway egotism, and it's a subject I know a little something about. :)

I've noticed many people post something they're passionate about and then feel the need to defend that viewpoint to the death. Why? It's just your opinion. People are going to have differences. Are any of you actually being paid to back said opinion? Nope.

It's like Religion to people : To defend what one believes in. Crusade.
And this is what fanatism and radicalism makes so dangerous.

Also, it often is pure competition : The one who survives it (by defending it), wins.

df8597035c50c4c6da012304ff2737e4--medieval-hats-medieval-costume.jpg

get a response to my posts about 40% of the time.

That's actually a pretty good stat.

If you want to cheese this higher for the next period then just sit tight and wait for Dart's next account to drop by, then pounce and reply to five or six of his posts. Once you get to about 75% respond rate you'll soon be wishing you were back down in the 40s and you'll be cured.

That's actually a pretty good stat.

If you want to cheese this higher for the next period then just sit tight and wait for Dart's next account to drop by, then pounce and reply to five or six of his posts. Once you get to about 75% respond rate you'll soon be wishing you were back down in the 40s and you'll be cured.

We should make a competition where everyone guesses the date he pops up next. Bonus points if you can guess what his username will be :D

An office pool...I haven't bought squares in a long time...

I’ll easily win that one. Before approving his new posts I join the competition and answer both questions correctly. :)

So 60% of the time I might as well just talk to myself rather than take the time to type it.
NONONONONOOO!!!! Just because nobody responds doesn't mean nobody was interested in what you read! Please don't make me quote 60% of the posts you write and just give "yes, well put" as a response!

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with defending some thing you’re passionate about. Wether one should be passionate about video games, I guess is another story. There’s also a difference between defending something passionately and just being belligerent.

I actually don’t have a problem with someone defending their view point. It’s more annoying to me when posts don’t get responded to.

So much so I actually recently looked at my post history ( for this year) and found that I get a response to my posts about 40% of the time. So 60% of the time I might as well just talk to myself rather than take the time to type it. I’ll admit sometimes I post stuff that’s just one line and not really much to respond to but some of them were actually me quoting someone else.

Now don’t get me wrong I don’t take it personally or sit up at night wondering why no one will talk to me. :lol: However some of these post are long with quite a bit of thought behind them and it makes me wonder if I only get a 40% response rate is it really a good way to spend my time?

I am going to make it point to quote all your post, including this one. What more I will make sure I will tag you also @sakichop; :)

Jokes aside, I agree with many thing you say and sometimes wanted to respond but don't. I look at the forums mostly on the phone and its pain to respond but when I go home there are other things to do so never really look at the forums on a PC etc. So there are practical reason like this as to why people don't always respond.

We should make a competition where everyone guesses the date he pops up next. Bonus points if you can guess what his username will be :D

I don't understand why Dart deletes his account. If things get bit heated I tend take break from here and then I come back after couple months. But I guess its fun new game to guess his new username!

I don't understand why Dart deletes his account. If things get bit heated I tend take break from here and then I come back after couple months. But I guess its fun new game to guess his new username!

Me neither, but to each their own, I guess, from the amount of posts/comments he manages to make each time (in the span of just a few days), he is somewhat addicted (maybe too hard of a word) to this forum, or forums in general. Having to register a new account is like a hurdle keeping him from spending so much time here. I had something similar with Facebook 10 years ago; I had to delete my account because I was spending too much time on it. Now I have one for work but don't post anything and have un-followed everyone so I don't see anyone's posts (great feature, would have been useful 10 years ago).

NONONONONOOO!!!! Just because nobody responds doesn't mean nobody was interested in what you read! Please don't make me quote 60% of the posts you write and just give "yes, well put" as a response!

I agree, although that's kinda what the thumb-up button is for, I guess? ;)

Of course, that does not come with a notification.

I don't understand why Dart deletes his account.
Because he's deluded it'll help achieving whatever artificial goal he set that is not compatible with his character.
Won't go more details since he's not here so that'd be unfair. Have to write and save some txt to use as a post during his next visit, the other day he caught me unpreapred then left fast.

I enjoy arguments, as long as the participants are making valid points and not repeating themselves. I sometimes make I provocative statements because I want to see the counter-argument, not as a troll, I'm seeking validation or correction.

Back
Top Bottom