What games are you playing now? - Page 705 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

August 9th, 2021, 18:55
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Oh, so that's how you get rid of them! Would have been nice if the game had mentioned that. Maybe it did and I missed it?
Or maybe you are just not at that part in the story yet. Many missions serve as a tutorial for the (side) activities in the game. I seem to remember a mission that made you go to a train/coach station to pay off your bounty. Maybe you have just not done it yet?

Voice acting has been excellent, too. The AAA comment was regarding all the other stuff going wrong. The gameplay doesn't feel very AAA to me.
Yes, business as usual for Rockstar and their sloppy PC ports *sigh* . The controls are abysmal in my opinion. The prime example would be the binoculars which are kind of required to "scan" the animals.

Instead of a hotkey like 'B', as in myriads of other games in the history of gaming, it is tied to the stupid item/weapon wheel so you have to hold down a key to open the wheel, press a key to navigate from weapons to items and then select the binoculars. That's not exactly as great as it could be.

And don't get me started on the issue that the game refuses to remember your horse and/or on person weapon loadout. It gets old very fast when you have to manually change your loadout all the time.

I generally did not like the gameplay very much. The mission ratings seemed unnecessary and stupid. They should've put that in a separate challenge mode but not show them during the story mode "campaign".

The gold and even silver medal criteria are often times ridiculous and really not at all achievable on your first time playing a mission. Why would you rush through a story mission like a monkey on crack just to make an arbitrary time limit for a high score? That is completely stupid and counterintuitive in a game that is supposed to be strong in story and immersion.

There are so many annoyances over all… like how the game contradicts itself by telling you on one of the first missions that you should take your time and loot all bodies after a shootout for loot and money… and then, when you actually do this and take your time looting every corpse later on, you will have the law on your heels if you did NOT leave the scene after 30 seconds even if there were no witnesses because the law is like Oblivion guards who simply know everything (OK, I think the in-game explanation is they supposedly heard gunshots from far away and rush to the scene to investigate but come on…).

That's why I focused on just finishing the story after some point. It became too annoying to deal with all the shortcomings.
As I said, the story does get really interesting after a while. In this regard, it is the opposite of many other modern games that are frontloaded for reviewers and streamers.
Story, exploration, immersion/atmosphere are the only reasons I finished the game. It is generally way overrated in my opinion.

Moriendor

Grumpy Cat

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
+1:

August 9th, 2021, 19:27
Finished Solasta. Solid game.

Managed to get back into Pathfinder: Kingmaker with a custom party, near the end of Chapter 5, with characters at level 17. The game is stupendously big.

Playing Baldur's Gate: EE with a friend in Multiplayer. Fighter/Rogue and one of my new favorites: Cleric/Mage. Trying to keep party size small with NPCs joining for quests. Got help from Kagain and Kivan for now. I never actually played ToB. Since we only have 2 hours to play each week, we might just be finished with the saga when BG3 comes out.
--
"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
Administrator
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 2 Donor

August 9th, 2021, 19:38
Originally Posted by Arhu View Post
Managed to get back into Pathfinder: Kingmaker with a custom party, near the end of Chapter 5, with characters at level 17. The game is stupendously big.
It is! Is it your first run? I thought you had finished it long ago… How many hours have you accumulated already?

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)

August 9th, 2021, 21:28
The darn game is huge, lol. And that's a huge part of the charm! Even if you paid one hundred bucks for it, no one could claim you didn't get value from it.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

August 9th, 2021, 23:58
Still playing ToEE when I have time. Also playing the demo for a survival-horror game called Biocide which is a sort of an homage to games like Resident evil. It's kind of rough right now, but it seems to have some potential.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)

August 10th, 2021, 09:35
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
It is! Is it your first run? I thought you had finished it long ago€ How many hours have you accumulated already?
182 hours according to Steam. That includes liberal Alt-Tabbing for character development planning, as well as the "Beneath the Stolen Lands" DLC, which I finished with a 3-character party.

I started playing after the game came out and stopped when I encountered two gameplay bugs: One that made Linzi's companion quest fail due to an important NPC not being present without my knowledge so I had to backtrack a lot, the other was with kingdom quests that caused kingdom stats to plummet weekly. Then came several patches and 2.0, but was never in the mood to get back in.
--
"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
Administrator
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 2 Donor

August 10th, 2021, 09:53
Originally Posted by Arhu View Post
182 hours according to Steam. That includes liberal Alt-Tabbing for character development planning, as well as the "Beneath the Stolen Lands" DLC, which I finished with a 3-character party.

I started playing after the game came out and stopped when I encountered two gameplay bugs: One that made Linzi's companion quest fail due to an important NPC not being present without my knowledge so I had to backtrack a lot, the other was with kingdom quests that caused kingdom stats to plummet weekly. Then came several patches and 2.0, but was never in the mood to get back in.
Ouch. The kingdom management issues are particularly frustrating, they should really not get in the way so significantly IMO.

Well, it's good you could get back in, and not have to start from scratch. Happy questing!

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
+1:

August 10th, 2021, 17:32
If I ever replay the Pathfinder: Kingmaker game, it will certainly be done with the kingdom management system either complete shut down or minimized in some fashion. I didn't find dealing with that any fun in the least.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

+1:

August 10th, 2021, 19:13
I didn't have any issues with it. I found it a good way to do something else once in a while.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)

August 10th, 2021, 20:19
Originally Posted by Shagnak View Post
…: FWIW, I prefer open world games to have harder encounters that you can stumble onto (just return later if you can't handle it), and the developers should at least be commended for having the option in there for if you stumble upon it early.
This. I remember the raptors in one of the Gothics. In the beginning I had not a chance at fighting them. But I could run faster (and longer) than they could. And when I came back later and stronger, and finally took out the first of them … yay!!!

pibbuR who aknowledges that his difficulties with said raptors may most of all be due to him not being very good at playing those games.

EDIT: Ouch. For some reason I thought this was a post from today. Well, well, I have experience in (at? other?) ressurection.
--
Over the mountain watching the watcher

pibbuR

Feeling … lonely?

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

August 10th, 2021, 20:26
Originally Posted by pibbuR View Post
This. I remember the raptors in one of the Gothics. In the beginning I had not a chance at fighting them. But I could run faster (and longer) than they could. And when I came back later and stronger, and finally took out the first of them … yay!!!

pibbuR who aknowledges that his difficulties with said raptors may most of all be due to him not being very good at playing those games.

EDIT: Ouch. For some reason I thought this was a post from today. Well, well, I have experience in (at? other?) ressurection.
You're not the only fighting those raptors and running away.

I couldn't even beat the scavenger at the pass the first time and died multiple times before running away to the two hunters.

I'd love the remake to keep true to that - potentially even with the same combat system. But I doubt that will happen.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

+1:

August 10th, 2021, 20:51
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
I'd love the remake to keep true to that - potentially even with the same combat system. But I doubt that will happen.
I don't have high expectations for the remake. That demo they released wasn't even close to being a Gothic game.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)

August 10th, 2021, 23:58
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I don't have high expectations for the remake. That demo they released wasn't even close to being a Gothic game.
What do they say ?

Hope springs eternal !

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

+1:

August 11th, 2021, 13:31
I'm all over the place, i just cannot focus lately

Driftland - A majesty'ish game of kingdom management among floating islands without direct control of your population of warriors.

Aggressors: Ancient Rome - really the first super-detailed historical approaching paradox-level of detail 4x game that I've been able to tolerate.

Jurassic World Evolution: I'm building my own Jurassic park, it's awesome

Warhammer 40k: Battlesector - I said I wasnt going to get this, but deep in my heart I know that I'm a fool to say so. I'm a sucker for TB 40K games. So far it's what's to be expected. A lot of explosions, rivers of blood, roman-esque space knights lookin for a fight. Blood Angels are an interesting faction. It's exactly what it says on the box so far, we'll see if it blows up into anything more

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

August 11th, 2021, 16:30
HOI 4 and Kingdom Come once again. Hopefully I finish it this time.
--
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." & "What is the secret to eternal happiness? To not argue with fools."

Couchpotato

Armchair Contrarian

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)

August 11th, 2021, 17:34
After finishing Final Fantasy one, I thought about immediately diving into the second game, then spotted a sale for extra content on West of Loathing, which I'd never picked up. Since I played the base game four years ago, I figured I'd grab the content and do a replay of the entire great game! I tell ya, if you're in the mood for a game that will have you chuckling like you're replaying Leisure Suit Larry games, West of Loathing can totally scratch that itch!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

August 13th, 2021, 10:04
Greedfall. After a slow start this one is a joy to play (for now). It seems to me Greedfall doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Very interesting setting and story setup. The sidequests were more than just fetch and I kind of like the companions + their backstories. The graphics and visual style are great too.

Negatives include the imprecise controls and sensitive camera + too many invisible sections when rounding corners. The combat is also quite easy for now, I hope it holds up.

I went for a firearms build, and as I saw that traps are kind of complimentary (both affected by accuracy) I also took that. As points are quite rare (especially talents) I was wondering if I should also invest in a melee skills? The better swords require investment in strength or agility I see. For talents I went for charisma and vigor (and maybe science if I enough).

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

August 14th, 2021, 01:34
Well, I played a 1-2 hours of Diablo 2 Resurrected, and it shocking how good of a remaster they achieved. It absolutely looks exactly how my mind's eye remembers it. There is a little bit of clunkyness, but I can't remember if that's how it was, or if it's due to the remaster.

One thing is certain, Vicarious Visions, the studio that handled it did a fantastic job of managing to run the same game engine but intercept graphics calls in order to render a 3D physically-based scene. Amazing technical job. I cannot imagine a better job than this.

The only thing that makes me sad is the fact that I'm sure the tech guys who managed this black magic were certainly not rewarded to the size of this achievement. But I may be wrong.

The only thing standing in my way of enjoying this further is that I don't think I have the time to go through this game all over again, if I think about how huge it is. And how I'm of the kind that has to lawn-mower every map, and explore everything. This may be a game for another time in my life.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
+1:

August 14th, 2021, 01:39
D2 Resurrected might just be the game to give me back the urge to play w/ other people online!

That was really the last "good times" in MP for me
(I dont really count the MMO years)

I gave the Arthurian chess-like TB game Pendragon a try last night, and… meh
I liked the story-building-roguelike aspect, but the game mechanics just werent very clear to me. There seemed to be a ton of reviews complaining, and I saw those complaints in my head as something that would bug me too. And compound on top of what was bugging me. When i couldnt refund, later on.

It was fun to try, and cool looking art, but not my style of game
Rare refund on my part

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

August 14th, 2021, 14:14
Is the remaster out yet?

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?