Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Feature Trailer - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Feature Trailer

Default Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Feature Trailer

August 11th, 2021, 20:10
Owlcat Games released a feature trailer and announced the release date of the console versions: March 1, 2022.

Feature Trailer | Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

loading…

In the new gameplay feature trailer, the beautiful and heroic Queen Galfrey will tell you what to expect from our game. Hope you enjoy it!
Thanks Redglyph!

More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)

August 12th, 2021, 00:01
From a person who never played Pathfinder Kingmaker:
Is Wrath of Righteous gameplay similar to Kingmaker's? Or did Owlcat try something new here?
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

August 12th, 2021, 02:02
Originally Posted by henriquejr View Post
Is Wrath of Righteous gameplay similar to Kingmaker's? Or did Owlcat try something new here?
It's still a party based, isometric RPG. I'm not sure how different you're looking for. There are changes, of course. Turn based mode is baked in from the start, for one. There are more class options (including the so called "mythic paths"). There is a larger scale combat mode where you command forces. And obviously the story is entirely new.

I feel like maybe there's a hidden question in your question (Given that I didn't get the first game, is this one going to be more appealing to me), but not knowing why you passed on the first one I don't think that question can be answered.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

August 12th, 2021, 08:04
That was a good trailer for me. Summarizes what it is about in a good way.

I'm looking forward to the release and reviews. I'll likely wait for a complete edition, since I often only play a game once, but maybe I'll not do that this time…

SveNitoR

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

August 12th, 2021, 09:47
Originally Posted by henriquejr View Post
They did!

As @JFarrell71 said. The differences were discussed in their Q&A, but to summarize what I saw:
  • Kingdom management is replaced by the crusader system. It's a mix of something new, armies that move on the same world map, and combat like Might & Magic. There is a minimalist kingdom management feature remaining, with much less hassle than in Kingmaker. Those can be "turned off" in the options and only run in the background.
  • Companions have a deeper story and interaction.
  • Story is much more epic than Kingmaker (difference in style), it's really about saving the world vs evil, this atmosphere is very present from the start.
  • A superposition of a ridiculous number of classes (25 classes, 144 archetypes, and 13 prestige classes so far), and the mythic classes that give supernatural powers and specific quests.
  • Growing animal companions and mounted combat.
  • Graphics greatly improved (models, weather system, dynamic lighting, UI).
  • Better and more varied areas.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)

August 12th, 2021, 11:18
How does mounted combat work?

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)

August 12th, 2021, 11:46
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
How does mounted combat work?
Your character fuses with his animal companion and they do movement and attacks as a single entity. Applying bonuses from related feats and gear. There is a class focused on mounted combat - Cavalier, a cross between fighter and palladin. Mounted charge on a horse with a lance does devastating damage.

domein

Vintage Brewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

August 12th, 2021, 13:12
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
It's still a party based, isometric RPG. I'm not sure how different you're looking for. There are changes, of course. Turn based mode is baked in from the start, for one. There are more class options (including the so called "mythic paths"). There is a larger scale combat mode where you command forces. And obviously the story is entirely new.

I feel like maybe there's a hidden question in your question (Given that I didn't get the first game, is this one going to be more appealing to me), but not knowing why you passed on the first one I don't think that question can be answered.
Thank you for your response. Rest assured there is no hidden question anywhere
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

August 12th, 2021, 13:13
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
They did!

As @JFarrell71 said. The differences were discussed in their Q&A, but to summarize what I saw:
  • Kingdom management is replaced by the crusader system. It's a mix of something new, armies that move on the same world map, and combat like Might & Magic. There is a minimalist kingdom management feature remaining, with much less hassle than in Kingmaker. Those can be "turned off" in the options and only run in the background.
  • Companions have a deeper story and interaction.
  • Story is much more epic than Kingmaker (difference in style), it's really about saving the world vs evil, this atmosphere is very present from the start.
  • A superposition of a ridiculous number of classes (25 classes, 144 archetypes, and 13 prestige classes so far), and the mythic classes that give supernatural powers and specific quests.
  • Growing animal companions and mounted combat.
  • Graphics greatly improved (models, weather system, dynamic lighting, UI).
  • Better and more varied areas.
Thank you, Redglyph!
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

August 12th, 2021, 13:22
I saw somewhere that console versions are delayed to next year. Hopefully Owlcat realized necessity to focus on PC release in time and we will get nicely playable version on release. Cross fingers …

Andrew23

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

August 12th, 2021, 14:05
Originally Posted by Andrew23 View Post
I saw somewhere that console versions are delayed to next year. Hopefully Owlcat realized necessity to focus on PC release in time and we will get nicely playable version on release. Cross fingers …
That is literally the first sentence of this news.

Kos

Watchdog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

August 12th, 2021, 14:44
I realise this is dangerous talk, but what I've seen of this isn't doing much for me. The whole world-is-on-fire-and-there's-demons-everywhere setting doesn't really appeal.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)

August 12th, 2021, 15:02
Originally Posted by Andrew23 View Post
My (somewhat selfish) reaction exactly

I've heard another team was in charge of the console port, so theoretically it shouldn't have interfered too much. But in practice we never know.

The console version of Kingmaker seems to suffer from a lot of performance issues, it's best they take enough time to focus on the console version too.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

+1:

August 12th, 2021, 15:07
It's true the setting and theme of invading demons has been done to death in fantasy, but I for one still enjoy it.

I like fighting different types of demons in these games, and they better have a large variety of different types of demons/devils/evil hell spawn/whatever, so it won't get stale.

One major "good thing" that makes me anticipate the game: The different avenues of power you can do, from being part of the Angels and being like divinely favored or something, all the way to the other end of being an undead necromancer, and other ones that I am forgetting, but they all sounded very interesting.

The big negative and one that makes me more cautious about the game:
the dumb shoe-horning in of some kind of battle management fantasy simulator into the game….*groan*. They didn't learn their lesson from all the complaints of players of the first game re: the kingdom management thing, so they did it again.

I don't want to touch any part of that awkward, or even "jarring" game style transition and un-fun gameplay, so I am hopeful they will put in an option to just bypass the damn thing for players like me, who just want to explore dungeons and fantasy war-torn cities, and fight demons and build up my party characters with loot and character leveling, and so on.
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
+1:

August 12th, 2021, 15:13
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
I realise this is dangerous talk, but what I've seen of this isn't doing much for me. The whole world-is-on-fire-and-there's-demons-everywhere setting doesn't really appeal.
Actually, if they follow the tabletop rpg campaign like they did for the first game the story is better than this trailer looks.
It's true than they make it look like if it was a mod of Diablo II.

Kos

Watchdog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

August 12th, 2021, 15:16
Originally Posted by Kos View Post
That is literally the first sentence of this news.
You are right, I was probably focused on trailer title, so missed that sentence completely.

Andrew23

Keeper of the Watch

+1:

August 12th, 2021, 16:07
I usually appreciate low level and more personal plots, but this is completely opposite approach and they seem to embrace epicness of the setting quite generously. So Im actually kinda looking forward to get out of my comfort zone in this case

Andrew23

Keeper of the Watch

August 12th, 2021, 17:14
I expect it'll be like most RPG plots: a dangerous, kingdom/world-spanning threat that gets convienently ignored for much of the play time in favor of sidequests, romancin', and helping out villagers.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

August 12th, 2021, 17:31
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
I expect it'll be like most RPG plots: a dangerous, kingdom/world-spanning threat that gets convienently ignored for much of the play time in favor of sidequests, romancin', and helping out villagers.
It's me playing Nehrim. I went for exploring dungeons, side quests and countryside before I even cared to get to the Monastery
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

August 12th, 2021, 18:11
It's quite hard to ignore for long, actually. Sure, there are companion and side quests so that it's balanced enough and not too oppressing, but there are battles and references at different points throughout the chapters to bring the point home regularly.

Companion quests usually require you to advance in the main quest, or open new chapters, to progress. Some are directly linked to the events. At some point you'll have to deal with those demons

@Ripper it really depends what bothers you about it. If that's the feeling of being "the chosen one that will save the world", I'm afraid there's a bit about that. The mythic path gives you powers that others don't have, for example. And your role is an important one.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Feature Trailer