Things you don't need to know...

Just wanted to post the 2000th reply in this thread. :p

To some degree I like beer. Naturally I think beer from our local brewery is the best (after Belgian beer, nothing beats Belgian beer).

This summer the brewery launched a new type of beer, at least here in Norway: IPA with mango:

anntheresesamuelsen_mangoipa-720x405.jpg

Some of you may find this a travesty, but like it. Problem is: So do everyone else in Norway. Which means that there isn't enough of it, and people have started hoarding. I now routinely examine the beer shelf every time I'm in a grocery store. So I did I the other day, but I only scanned it remotely. A woman was standing in front of the beers, and these days I try to keep my distance from women.

Bad choice

Because when I came to the place-where-you-pay-for-your-goods, I discovered that the guy standing (properly distanced) behind me had 10 cans of said beer. I asked him if there were any left. He said no, he had taken all of them (Which was a bit selfish, I would certainly have left one can). I considered bribing him, intimidating him or boldly attacking him outside the store, but I decided against it. I'm not that desperate, and his damage potential was most likely stronger than mine.

pibbur who observes that now there is no shortage of toilet paper, which probably is more important than the lack of beer.

PS. The beer is a so called limited edtion, which means that they don't intend to make more until next summer. :( DS.

Last edited:
PS: Now that Dart isn't here, which watcher has most posts? DS.

@JDR13; has the most posts. You can check this by going to the members list and sort on posts

This summer the brewery launched a new type of beer, at least here in Norway: IPA with mango:
PS. The beer is a so called limited edtion, which means that they don't intend to make more until next summer. :( DS.

FYI: Today I found 5 sixpacks in my favourite grocery store. Bought one of them. Yay!

a pibbur who expects to stay sober.

I like Belgian beers for their variety, but I find them often a bit sweet for my liking. I like a crisp German larger for a cool drink, and English bitter for an ale. Harvey's Sussex Best for preference.

SUSSEX_BIGHERO.jpg

No offense meant pibbur so don't get offended but this is the perfect thread to announce I hate beer especially American beer. To sum it up it looks and tastes like horse piss.

Can't see how people can drink it. Give me a glass of wine instead.:)

Not sure where to post it, but this made me laugh:
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...y-includes-zelda-video-game-monsters-in-novel

John Boyne, the award-winning author of The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, has acknowledged that a cursory Google led to him accidentally including monsters from the popular video game The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild in his new novel.

Apparently he was researching poisons online and hadn't realised he'd accidentally accessed a Zelda crafting guide rather than a serious webpage. :) He seems to have taken it in very good humour though, so hats off to him.

No offense meant pibbur so don't get offended but this is the perfect thread to announce I hate beer especially American beer. To sum it up it looks and tastes like horse piss.

While I agree that American beer is among the worst in the world and that wine, especially a good red, is far better, the question I MUST ask is how on earth do YOU know exactly how horse piss tastes?? :)

While I agree that American beer is among the worst in the world and that wine, especially a good red, is far better, the question I MUST ask is how on earth do YOU know exactly how horse piss tastes?? :)
Don't ask a question you don't want a reply to.:p

Joking aside its just slang for your beer taste terrible. Not a new one either.

IMG_0493-700x325.jpg

Horse Piss is a blonde ale, not my favorite beer genre, but not down in the lowly depths where I hold the farmhouse ales. This beer pours golden yellow, the color that the name might imply, with a thin white cap of foam that quickly dissipates.
See things you don't need to know.:biggrin:

Well, that is the name of the thread after all!! :)

An article on The Verge (don't know anything about the site) tells about how genes have been renamed because of incompatibilities with MS Excel.

Some human genes have been given names (or rather abbreviations) like MARCH1 (Membrane Associated Ring-CH-Type Finger 1), OCT4 and so on. Problem is, if you enter them into an excel spreadsheet, MS happily converts them to dates, Mar-1, Oct-4. To avoid the problem, the genes have been renamed, since, as the article points out: "Sometimes it’s easier to rewrite genetics than update Excel". So, MARCH1 became MARCHF1.

More on this in the article: "Scientists rename human genes to stop Microsoft Excel from misreading them as dates" (https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/6/21355674/human-genes-rename-microsoft-excel-misreading-dates)

For the record: Gene names have been changed for many other reasons as well.

a pibbur who (fortunately) is always presented as a "pibur" (unless there's a typo).

FYI: Badwater 135, the 217 km ultramarathon going each year in the middle of july from the Badwater Basin to the Whitney Portal was cancelled in 2020.

I hope those of you who would be participating aren't too disappointed. Fortunately you are guaranteed a spot in next year's expedition.

a pibbur who anyhow hadn't planned on doing the race this year.

PS. Fortunately a 24H running feast (runner's version of Le Mans 24), AKA "24 hours in hell" (https://iau-ultramarathon.org/) will be held in september and is not cancelled (yet), so welcome to Norway. And the world championship willl, unless something happens, take place in France the 24th of october. DS.

OFFENDED? ME OFFENDED? I NEVER GET OFFENDED. HAH!

Eh….

Don't know about horse piss, but there are beers that IMO tastes like dishwater. Then there is one particular Norwegian brand (won't give the name), that I'm certain IS dishwater.

a pibbur who doesn't drink dishwater in any form (except when coming back as rain).

PS: Her's a list of funny beer names:
  • Apocalypse Cow.
  • Pork Slap. …
  • Panty Peeler. …
  • Ill Tempered Gnome. …
  • Pigs Ass Porter. …
  • Old Leghumper. …
  • Polygamy Porter. Brewed by Utah-based Wasatch Brewery, this 4% brown ale with notes of chocolate won a silver medal in 2006 from the North American Brewers' Association.
  • Hoptimus Prime. Brewed by Legacy Brewing Co. …

Found this by googling for "Funny beer names". There are more…
DS.

Last edited:
I managed to get drunk from a single bottle of beer a few years ago. Two factors came in : I'm not used to alcohol (that was a once-in-a-year occasion) and I drank the bottle too fast, as inexperienced as I am.

Personally, I like alcohol-free malt beer very much (German beer like "Vitamalz").

And I often wonder whether that brew used in the end of Monkey Island I is also alcohol-free ...

Macaulay Culkin, the Home Alone kid, just turned 40.

Back
Top Bottom