Baldur's Gate 3 - Early Access Reviews

Really? I couldn't stand two hours of it. I just found it extremely boring. I wanted to return but GOG didn't have the money back policy at the time.

Outer Worlds was a similar case to me. I guess I just don't like recent Obsidian titles…

No offense intended man, I do respect your opinion ;)
No offense taken or meant either. We all have different tastes. As for Outer Worlds I agree with you somewhat it was a flawed game, but I found some enjoyment playing it.

Hope Avowed is better. Inxile also has 2 new RPGs in the works.

From "Ars Technica" - "Awkward, unsatisfying combat
Punishing dialog with frequent feat rolls practically demands save-scumming
Encounters often feel unbalanced and forced..."

WTF? This is literally the *best* version of turn based D&D combat I have seen since Temple of Elemental Evil, thank you Troika. It's literally a very, very well done PC version of D&D 5E combat.

You're a cretin who has obviously never played a proper tabletop game, so you have no business commenting on turn based games. I hope you don't get paid as a reviewer.

:)

This game is amazing and probably my GOTY even in early access. If you don't like this game, I can guarantee you're not a fan of D&D tabletop gaming. It's "hard" and you have to think and there's no easy mode. Shrug.

I am loving this experience. For $120 (the price I spent on the game for my wife and I) we could have a decent steak dinner with a glass of wine or two, and the memory would be of a nice 1-2 hour long steak dinner where we didn't have to clean dishes.

This was... $120 spent for hours of memories we'll be talking about for decades? Yes, please, more, take more of my money. Here *shoves fistfulls* ... take. Make more of this.

To bad Temple of Elemental Evil was a massive flop and Troika closed.:p

I'm kidding I'm just glad to see another D&D game with a Single-player campaign. Only so many times you can play Neverwinter Nights 1&2 over the last ten years.

Anyway I'm sure Larain will add an easy mode in the enhanced edition as usual.

Yeah I'm like reading the lore books in this.

And they're well written. I would *love* to buy a beer for their lead writer.

To bad Temple of Elemental Evil was a massive flop and Troika closed.:p

I'm kidding I'm just glad to see another D&D game with a Single-player campaign. Only so many times you can play Neverwinter Nights 1&2 over the last ten years.

Anyway I'm sure Larain will add an easy mode in the enhanced edition as usual.

I'm kinda glad I get to play without easy mode enabled. And yes I know I could turn it off. (To those people I say: Have you ever studied psychology, anthropology or human nature?)

Anyway, Temple of Elemental Evil was one of my favorite games ever. I still play it. A better turn-based rendition of D&D 3.5ish you'll never see.

And yes, not everything good is popular. Go listen to the most popular 10 songs right now and may God Have Mercy on Your Ears.

(Quick edit: Wow, if you listen to the 10 most popular songs right now PLEASE also listen to Gilbert Gottfried's rendition:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaF6NfyVqqs

NSFW? I have no idea anymore. But that's his rendition of one of the top 10 pop songs in the USA today so I can't be violating too many things.

It was a pita to get it to run through. I was getting a black screen trying to start it from my GOG version. Updated nvidia drivers and visual studio stuff but to no avail. I had to go to Baldurs Gate 3 directory/bin and hold down right shift and click run as administrator on the exe to get it to work.

Yes, many ran into the same problem, including me. It's really strange that such a program requires admin access on our system, and even more surprising they couldn't warn us about it.

After a long download, I was hoping to test it yesterday but couldn't because of this issue, that'll be for later I guess ;)

What is also weird is that in that long thread of people trying and failing to run the game again and again, there was no comment from Larian. Usually their support is very helpful, I have been pleasantly surprised about it in the past - well, they do have a history that required them to help customers a lot, so they must have had quite the training. But here, nothing, they must have been worn out by the EA release.

Most of the comments on actual game seems promising, looking forward. Complaining about bugs in early access seems pointless, but continue playing and reporting them. It will make better experience for us who wait for real release :iloveyou:

The bad
Awkward, unsatisfying combat
Your party hates you
All of the factions hate you
What have I said this Original Sin engine is total complete SHT for combat. Also in the hands of a lame and dangerously demented developer studio ruled by idiots.
Looks like an energy-draining vampiric operation, like many Hollywood movies nowadays = leave you like a nervous wreck with severe PTSD and psychosis.

It "began" with raw flesh eating cannibalistic elves in OS...

So far the only complaint I have is a technical one - the lack of camera rotation. There are a few times my camera gets stuck behind a wall or something. The lack of camera rotation stinks because you can miss a chest or other discoverable, like I did a few times. The interesting thing is that when I returned to the dungeon, the dungeon was viewed from a different viewing angle. So the capability is there, its just not enabled.

Being dnd 5e rules based adds some frustrations. I went to 0hp by myself really early and had to wait the death saves to complete. Then hit 0hp again and the saves failed before I could find the assist option for the other character.

So far the only complaint I have is a technical one - the lack of camera rotation. There are a few times my camera gets stuck behind a wall or something. The lack of camera rotation stinks because you can miss a chest or other discoverable, like I did a few times. The interesting thing is that when I returned to the dungeon, the dungeon was viewed from a different viewing angle. So the capability is there, its just not enabled.

Middle mouse button isn't it?

It does sound like its buggy as hell. Warning -- don't go read steam reviews in the negative category if you want to stay hyped about the game. Oof. And another common complaint is what has already been mentioned, that it feels just like a reskinned Divinity Original Sin 3 game, without much real D&D atmosphere.

I hope they take their time and even if it takes a year or two in early access to improve the game.

Back
Top Bottom