Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Daeran the Oracle

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Learn more about Daeran the Oracle in Kickstarter update #63 Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous:

Daeran: After me, the flood

Stories about good-hearted outcasts that rebel against the corrupt and unjust ways of society are not uncommon in folklore and literature. But this is certainly not the story of Daeran Arendae - a young and spoiled Mendevian noble who lives a life of debauchery, in a constant little war against the knightly, almost exalted, ideals of his homeland.

A decade before the events of the game, young Daeran was the proud scion of a thriving noble clan, one of the oldest in Mendev. His ancestors rose to power long before the Worldwound opened and forever changed the fate of their home country and the whole world. Rich and powerful, the Arendae family was touched by celestial forces, with each generation being blessed with one or two aasimar children, Daeran among them.

But it all came to an end when a powerful lilitu demon decided to invite herself to Daeran's birthday feast. When crusaders opened the gates of the Arendae family estate a few days later, they found nothing but desolation and death. All the guests had been killed by a demonic plague, with the young count, now the last member of the Arendae family, being the only survivor.

An unknown divine intervention saved Daeran's life, granting him the powers of an oracle (you can read more about the Oracle class in one of our previous updates). On Golarion, oracles don't choose their fate - they are chosen by cosmic forces and receive a gift that is also their burden. Daeran's gift was the healing power of the Life mystery, combined with a curse that makes him freeze in situations that require immediate action, but also protects him against sudden attacks by treacherous - or even invisible - foes (the Powerless Prophecy curse). He is a valuable addition to the team, a talented healer who can also use divine power to assist allies or crush foes.

Today, if you hear Daeran's name, it's either followed by curses, news on the count's latest scandalous endeavors, or flattery and praise of dubious sincerity. Joining the crusaders seems to be his latest excess, done either out of boredom or for the sake of scandalizing society. Keeping company with Daeran is an adventure all its own, as his main gift is, perhaps, the ability to bring some rampant festivity even to the harsh reality of the crusade!

[...]
More information.

He is worth having around for his jacket alone lol.

Daeran is turning out to be an interesting character - I hated his guts in the beginning but starting to warm up to him having completed some of his personal quests. He is also damn good healer too :)

So how is the game shaping up so far @purpleblob;?

From what I've seen so far, it's even more enjoyable than Kingmaker. Owlcats are doing great job on mythic paths - I played 3 paths so far but would like to try all 9 eventually. Each path offer unique class building + story telling. Companions are fantastic too - only experienced stage 1 of their companion quests but I feel so attached to them all. Main plot is very engaging so far - very curious on what the villain is planning. The game also does excellent job of showing the suffering of people and animals in Worldwounds - particularly loved all quests in Wintersun area (btw this is an outdoor area - you do get to explore outdoor areas too, not always just demon trashed buildings). Army management is shaping nicely too but I think its too intense atm (difficult to meet army objectives/too much army combat), hope it can be balanced out via alpha tester feedback.

Owlcats said WotR will be shorter than Kingmaker because WotR will have more replayability - imo, WotR does have very high replayability but I'm not sure if it will be much shorter than Kingmaker. Its packed with so much content!

Latest alpha update added chapter 3 which seem to be the biggest chapter yet (I haven't finished it because I'm so short on time these days) :/

Its in alpha, so there are still bugs and other issues but I'd say chapter 1 & 2 are very stable, chapter 3 needs some more polishing at this stage.

Can't wait for beta so I can finally share more info/preview!

From what I've seen so far, it's even more enjoyable than Kingmaker. Owlcats are doing great job on mythic paths - I played 3 paths so far but would like to try all 9 eventually. Each path offer unique class building + story telling. Companions are fantastic too - only experienced stage 1 of their companion quests but I feel so attached to them all. Main plot is very engaging so far - very curious on what the villain is planning. The game also does excellent job of showing the suffering of people and animals in Worldwounds - particularly loved all quests in Wintersun area (btw this is an outdoor area - you do get to explore outdoor areas too, not always just demon trashed buildings). Army management is shaping nicely too but I think its too intense atm (difficult to meet army objectives/too much army combat), hope it can be balanced out via alpha tester feedback.

Owlcats said WotR will be shorter than Kingmaker because WotR will have more replayability - imo, WotR does have very high replayability but I'm not sure if it will be much shorter than Kingmaker. Its packed with so much content!

Latest alpha update added chapter 3 which seem to be the biggest chapter yet (I haven't finished it because I'm so short on time these days) :/

Its in alpha, so there are still bugs and other issues but I'd say chapter 1 & 2 are very stable, chapter 3 needs some more polishing at this stage.

Can't wait for beta so I can finally share more info/preview!
Sounds promising! Thanks for taking the time to answer in quite a lot of detail :)

@purpleblob;, did they add anything in this alpha besides fighting demons in destroyed buildings? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
@purpleblob;, did they add anything in this alpha besides fighting demons in destroyed buildings? :rolleyes:

Morrandir, there are plenty more than just fighting demons if you choose not to ignore it ;)

Lots interesting lores/stories/dialogues to read. Also, you didn't seem to read my earlier post that there are outdoor areas :)

Why would I choose this character over, say, Ember?

Because Daeran's story is very interesting? It is also very difficult to play Witch class properly in RTwP (if you go TB, I heard Witch will be very powerful class though).

Morrandir, there are plenty more than just fighting demons if you choose not to ignore it ;)

Lots interesting lores/stories/dialogues to read. Also, you didn't seem to read my earlier post that there are outdoor areas :)
Just goofing around - partly. ;)

In the first alpha phase there had also been outdoor areas. So obviously it's not all in destroyed buildings.
Yep, and of course there's interesting stuff to read and especially characters/companions to meet and interact with.

But that doesn't change the general theme and atmosphere of the game. Of course that's only a consequence from Owlcat selecting this adventure path. There's only so much you can do when everything takes place in a demon infested region.
I'm just a little sad that it'll be this one instead of another adventure paths that was more to my liking.
However the demons won't keep me from playing this game. And I'm sure I'll enjoy it.
And I'll try to be less grumpy about it.

I was always more fond of low level, intimate or personal stories in RPGs, rather then epic battles for the fate of the world.

For example, beginning of first Baldurs Gate was absolutely stellar in this way. Of course, later story developed into battle for the fate of the world anyway, as we all know. But thats what brings money to the table I suppose.

Anyway, with Kingmaker (330+ hours played and counting), Owlcat earned first-day purchase from me on their next game. And I have no doubts it will be good investment. Lets just hope most significant bugs will be removed BEFORE release.

Looking forward to hear more news about development.

My personal opinion is I prefer Pathfinder:Kingmaker over this style of RPG. :(

Not saying I wont enjoy Wrath of the Righteous it just doesn't tick all my boxes like Pathfinder:Kingmaker. Owlcat's next unannounced sci-fi game has me more interested.

Link - https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45617

As for bugs I expect the same amount as the last game. Multiple hot-fixes incoming.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Do you start with a level 1 character like in Kingmaker, and what's the level-cap expected to be?

Not sure how I feel about the army management. It sounds like a lot of busy-work tbh.

Do you start with a level 1 character like in Kingmaker, and what's the level-cap expected to be?

Not sure how I feel about the army management. It sounds like a lot of busy-work tbh.

Yes, you start at level 1. Not sure about level cap but I think it will be 20 just like Kingmaker - I finished chapter 2 with level 10-11 party.

Army management is definitely more fun and engaging than Kingmaker's kingdom management. People often compare it to HoMM (I never played HoMM so I can't make that comparison). There is no separate difficulty setting for army management in alpha but I'm hoping it will be implemented in future so those who don't enjoy HoMM style combat can whizz through it.

Yes, you start at level 1. Not sure about level cap but I think it will be 20 just like Kingmaker - I finished chapter 2 with level 10-11 party.

Army management is definitely more fun and engaging than Kingmaker's kingdom management. People often compare it to HoMM (I never played HoMM so I can't make that comparison). There is no separate difficulty setting for army management in alpha but I'm hoping it will be implemented in future so those who don't enjoy HoMM style combat can whizz through it.
Wow, you never played any HoMM game? Did you try King's Bounty?

Back
Top Bottom