Matt Chat - Bronze & Silver Age RPGs

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Matt Chat published three new videos about the Bronze & Silver Age RPGs.

Silver and Bronze ages happen after a Golden Age

The Silver Age, or rebirth of PC RPG's, happens with the publishing of M&M6 or Diablo. They follow after the Age of Console and the birth of MMORPG's. We are currently in a Crowdfunded Age following the heals of the Dark and Gritty Era.

What he calls the Silver and Bronze Age, I would call the Birth of RPG's which is marked mainly hackers and even open source. The Golden Age starts with Wizardry I.

Why can't they just call it "my childhood" instead of trying to put value markers on this stuff.

Silver and Bronze ages happen after a Golden Age

The Silver Age, or rebirth of PC RPG's, happens with the publishing of M&M6 or Diablo. They follow after the Age of Console and the birth of MMORPG's. We are currently in a Crowdfunded Age following the heals of the Dark and Gritty Era.

What he calls the Silver and Bronze Age, I would call the Birth of RPG's which is marked mainly hackers and even open source. The Golden Age starts with Wizardry I.
That same logic should apply to comics but it doesn't either.:nod:

I lost track of how many ages there are.

Golden Age of comics is the 1930's and 40's. Its really the Golden Age of superheroes, but that's also when sales peaked.

It was followed by the trend in Horror Comics thanks to EC which got inspired the Comics Code Authority which virtually shut EC down.

The Silver Age starts with a reboot of the superhero comics, Flash, Green Lantern, etc. and the Stan Lee's Fantastic Four.

What is sometimes called the Bronze Age most people think of as a continuation of the Silver Age. Its a push to an older audience with more mature themes without being gratuitous. It starts with the Dennis O'Neil and Neil Adam's Green Lantern/Green Arrow. Eventually Marvel followed suit with their new X-Men but you can see the trend a lot earlier in Spider Man. This ends with the collapse of superhero comics in general as a tradeable commodity and the death of Marvel.

With the death of retail we started seeing the Manga trend in reprints at bookstores, very similar to what happened to the video game industry. The comic market started selling to a group that before was only niche: girls.

However, we've all seen a revival with superheroes thanks to the movie industry. There's no name for this yet, and its odd because the focus is on the movie (and tv) but it keeps the comics going as its source material. I would say it even extends comic's Silver/Bronze Age.

But there is a name for it in the Movie industry - its the Superhero Movie era.

Man, those pictures bring back some wonderful memories. Those early days, Wizardry the first and even before then, were simply glorious for the computer and gaming nerd in me.

I think as gamers, we've become too demanding. Everything is awesome now, yet we complain about the lamest things in games. I look back and have the fondest memories of games that look and play like pieces of poo.

I think as gamers, we've become too demanding. Everything is awesome now, yet we complain about the lamest things in games. I look back and have the fondest memories of games that look and play like pieces of poo.
Yep and that's why graphics are not the most important part of a game for me. Yet developers spend millions on the latest tech, and staff to focus on just that one area.

I don't think everything is awesome now. It's awesome compared to what was possible in the past.

In the past, there was a lot of non-awesome things as well.

I just got an NES Mini and I am remember that thing was mostly a place for arcade ports as most games in that era were. Looking Might and Magic and the Gold Box ports, wow, such poor graphics compared the PC versions. Wizardry is a surprisingly good port but Ultima is barely Ultima. In fact, Ultima V is ported to look more like Ultima 6.

I don't think everything is awesome now. It's awesome compared to what was possible in the past.

In the past, there was a lot of non-awesome things as well.

"EVERYTHING" isn't awesome now, but everything is awesome now.

If anything, these days we seem to be seeing several steps backwards in computer gaming, rather than forward. Not in all released projects, but the general trend doesn't seem to be exactly promising.

If anything, these days we seem to be seeing several steps backwards in computer gaming, rather than forward. Not in all released projects, but the general trend doesn't seem to be exactly promising.

I think we're seeing more steps forward than backwards.

But I agree that appealing wide has its costs.

Who has been disparaging Ultima 2!? (About 28 minutes into the 3rd video)

I think if you correct for inflation, I paid more for U2 than any other game that didn't have a subscription/hourly fee. Consequently, it was awesome. Chuckles T. Bumble 4ever.

I think we're seeing more steps forward than backwards.

But I agree that appealing wide has its costs.
Yes players current trend on wide huge RPG is a huge cost on quality and diversity. :)

The only hope was crowd funding and still is but more and more uncertain with too many low sells. And it's not Bard's Tales IV that will change it, its sub genre ensures its destiny, sells big fail past backers.

What was one of the rare crowd funding sells success, another The Witcher/Skyrim clone, I really don't care, AAA already try this genre.

The next video was posted.

Back
Top Bottom