Divinity: Original Sin II - Sir Lora & Quercus Video

Eh, I don't mind it. It don't think it'll kill immersion for me.

Most people like Minsc and Boo, so I don't see how this is any different.

The difference is that Baldur's Gate didn't have a whole lot of humor. Minsc and Boo were one of the very few pieces of comic relief in a series that was otherwise pretty grim. D:OS on the other hand already has quite a bit of humor.

I wonder how many Larian fans are genuinely pleased with their approach to humor?

Personally, I'm a fan of their games despite of the humor, not because of it.

In fact, I think I would enjoy them significantly more if they just dropped the whole thing.

The difference is that Baldur's Gate didn't have a whole lot of humor. Minsc and Boo were one of the very few pieces of comic relief in a series that was otherwise pretty grim. D:OS on the other hand already has quite a bit of humor.
Not to mention the fact that we were never really sure if Boo really WAS a miniature Giant Space Hamster -- or, even if it was such a thing, what that really entailed -- or whether it was just another manifestation of Minsc's already-too-frequent encounters with blunt objects to his head.

This element from Larian feels quite different to me in terms of execution, level of detail... In fact, I see it as being similar only in the fact that the focus of the joke happens to be a rodent.

That said, I didn't find the level of humour in D:OS (1... haven't played 2 yet), to be all THAT off-putting. I made it to the final battle, after all, before calling it a game (couldn't be bothered to keep the deity-who-dies-at-the-drop-of-a-hat alive). I'm still Larianed out when it comes to that brand of humour in RPGs, though, so I can't see myself playing D:OS2 any time soon. This DLC will simply keep me away a little longer than I'd anticipated.

I wonder how many Larian fans are genuinely pleased with their approach to humor?
I'd call myself a Larian fan and I think their humor is great. Refreshing change of pace from the typical grimdark over-dramatic stuff going down in the vast majority of RPGs. Hope they never change.

I'd call myself a Larian fan and I think their humor is great. Refreshing change of pace from the typical grimdark over-dramatic stuff going down in the vast majority of RPGs. Hope they never change.

That's fair enough.

I'm not a huge fan of "grimdark" personally, but I think there are better alternatives than going silly. Thankfully, Larian toned it down for DOS2.

For instance, I think PoE was too grimdark - but PoE 2 is much better and balanced between the serious and less serious material, without ever becoming farcical.

Anyway, to each his own :)

It would be great to see a 100% serious (maybe even grimdark :lol:) RPG done by Larian too, in a separate franchise. But I like Divinity the way it is.

DKS was pretty serious for the most part. It was also fairly dark both in atmosphere and art direction. There's some humor of course, but it's nowhere near as prevalent as it is in D:OS.

It's probably not coincidence that DKS is still my favorite Larian game, though to be fair, I haven't played D:OS 2 yet.

Beyond Divinity didn't seem to have much humor either, but I could never bring myself to play very far into it. That's the one Larian game that just doesn't appeal to me.

I dont mind the "humor", but find it problematic and somehow typical of DoS2s combat, that this dragon creature in the trailer *of course* stands beside some nice convenient poison barrels (surrounded by patches of fire…) Hmmm, what to do..

A Larian game without a sense of humour would be a terrible sight to behold. Baldurs Gate was light hearted as well but at times went silly. Bioware just had a better sense of when they could get away with silliness. Of course all the story elements were taken seriously as they should be. As long as there is fantasy realism (ie consistency) I have no issue with some silliness.

*There is nothing I dislike more than a fantasy universe not taking its own rules seriously, which alot of modern iterations of science fiction and fantasy seem to have a problem with.

Seeing the videos picture, it reminds me of "Ice Age <n>" - well when I was 3 years old, it would have been funny. IOW: It's a provocation. Everybody loves Larian despite their humour. I know that because I know many people (me) who agree ;-)

Back
Top Bottom