Fallout 3 - Review Roundup #2

Re: Nikus

Hear, hear!

nessosin do you not notice that he does not think its a fallout game? How do you explain to those who have played FO1 and 2 and find it to be a great successor to it? I'm really curious as to how you ignore the fact he thinks its not Fallout....

I am not ignoring the fact he thinks its not a Fallout game and I cannot explain why he says so. But the answer to your question lies in what made previous Fallout games legendary which FO3 lacks -/not. So you should be rather asking him than me simply because I wasn't fortunate enough to have a go at the game.

You qouting VD makes any of your other arguements worthless. He has a huge axe to grind with that game, he has posted conversations out of context to make them look bad and he has generally lied. So if that makes it better to believe him, it shows that you as well have an axe to grind.
Generally lied? Proof please. As for "posted conversations out of context", that's laughable. I posted dialogue screens. They either exist or they don't.

Like I said anything and I medan anything VD has to say about FO3 I would take with a grain of salt the guy is on a mission here.
*rolls eyes.

That comment doesn't even come across as him thinking its a pretty good FALLOUT game....and thats really the point right?
What makes it a Fallout game? Familiar names like super mutants and brotherhood of steel? That's all it takes?

nessosin do you not notice that he does not think its a fallout game? How do you explain to those who have played FO1 and 2 and find it to be a great successor to it?
I'll explain it in details in my review. If anyone here thinks that FO3 is a great successor to the original games, I'll be very interested to hear their arguments.

I'll explain it in details in my review. If anyone here thinks that FO3 is a great successor to the original games, I'll be very interested to hear their arguments.

A lot of people seem to be missing the point. FO3 doesn't need to be a great successor to the original games, just a great game by itself.

VD sure they were conversation screens but you skip between them to make them seem off. I ask you this....why is not a fallout game? You ask me to tell you why....is it because it misses turn base combat, your choices have no weight(they do btw), its not top down....

So, I should take your opinion of what makes a fallout game over my own or anyone else's for that matter? I'm well aware of all your old posts about fallout, all of a sudden we can ignore those and think you are comming at in a neutral unbiased way?

I'm really enjoying it.

Crash count is way too high for my liking, but I'm betting that's down to either something at my end or Live! - there's no reason the same engine should be much buggier in F3 than Oblivion. Only other negative is the aweful NPC animations again.

But the rest of the game more than makes up for it.

Hey Kalniel not sure if this will help but try running the exe file from within the man game folder instead of using the launcher I heard that makes a difference. I have had one crash so far and that was on exit of the game not while playing.

Hope that helps....

Anyone else have that holy crap moment when you open a door and someone is there....whats even better you even have that choice as a dialogue choice.

VD sure they were conversation screens but you skip between them to make them seem off.
The screens show the quality of writing, not the flow of dialogues. Surely, you realize that. Overall, writing is the weakest aspect of the game. Inexcusably bad.

I ask you this....why is not a fallout game? You ask me to tell you why....is it because it misses turn base combat, your choices have no weight(they do btw), its not top down....
None of the above. A Fallout game doesn't have to be turn-based or isometric. Personally I prefer TB and iso, but I'd never label a game bad just because it doesn't have these features.

It's not a Fallout world. The setting is completely different. I'll explain it in details in my review, like I said.

So, I should take your opinion of what makes a fallout game over my own or anyone else's for that matter?
Did I say that? Did I come here to troll and tell everyone that the game sucks and that you shouldn't buy it?

I'm well aware of all your old posts about fallout, all of a sudden we can ignore those and think you are comming at in a neutral unbiased way?
I don't care what you think, rune. Your bias toward me is well known. My name can't be mentioned on these forums without you jumping in to bash me.

I stated openly that I think it's a good PA game (too heavy on the action side, but what isn't these days?), but it's not a Fallout game and it's inferior to Fallout in pretty much all important aspects (character system, writing, dialogues, quests, character, main quest, etc). What you make of it and whether or not you agree with it is entirely up to you.

The screens show the quality of writing, not the flow of dialogues. Surely, you realize that. Overall, writing is the weakest aspect of the game. Inexcusably bad.

None of the above. A Fallout game doesn't have to be turn-based or isometric. Personally I prefer TB and iso, but I'd never label a game bad just because it doesn't have these features.

It's not a Fallout world. The setting is completely different. I'll explain it in details in my review, like I said.

Did I say that? Did I come here to troll and tell everyone that the game sucks and that you shouldn't buy it?

I don't care what you think, rune. Your bias toward me is well known. My name can't be mentioned on these forums without you jumping in to bash me.

I stated openly that I think it's a good PA game (too heavy on the action side, but what isn't these days?), but it's not a Fallout game and it's inferior to Fallout in pretty much all important aspects (character system, writing, dialogues, quests, character, main quest, etc). What you make of it and whether or not you agree with it is entirely up to you.

I guess we will have to respectively disagree on it not being a fallout game. To be honest I felt more immersion with this then the first two and I loved the first two. But in this one I honestly felt I was in a wasteland after leaving a fallout bunker. Is all the writing awesome? No. It wasn't in the old fallouts either. Thats not to say I didn't like FO2 but to say it had perfect writing throughout is simply not true. Surely as you have played thrfough FO3 you have noticed some good writing? I enjoyed the Ant Scientist for instance, well written. As for all the quests and main quest etc I will have to pass judgement on it at a later date.

One thing I do feel it has done much better then the originals is that you feel you can walk out and just head off in any direction and explore. The original did this to a pointg but the immersion factor was nowhere near the same level.

Launching from the folder didn't help stability :(

And bugs in the hacking game don't help! :p Saying that SEALING and PASSING only share 3 letters *mutters*

Wha-hey?

Oh man oh man oh man and I asked you to do the NMA review shiznit.

(just kidding...but please do adapt to the NMA hivemind ASAP)

It's a good game.

Now that I've finally got around to playing it I can't help but concur. It's certainly not a great game, and as with Oblivion I find myself wondering what these reviewers are smoking, but it's definitely an improvement on Oblivion, and - if you ignore the whole "this is supposed to be a Fallout game" thing - it's pretty good. Got its moments. Got its down-moments too, but hey, gotta take the good with the bad.

Yep it's a good game.

I havn't had one screen hitch or lag, no freeze ups, no bugs, F3 runs as smooth as a baby's bum.
I toyed with the idea to play as a green eyed brunette named Beauty and didn't realise that the speech and sexual inuendo would be any different for a female...but it is!
Beauty can use her charms to affect speech suggestiveness as an added perk, i never thought for one moment that i would be playing like this! - but rather that restart, i think i'll continue and see how things progress. :D

Grudging praise from BN and VD? Looks like I will be playing this after all.

But probably after SoZ, if it's coming out this month.

I wonder if the impression that they did great job with FO3 will last for long. Cause I still have fresh memories when I thought Oblivion was a great game and with hours invested in it my actual score for the game lowered.

PS. This post is not aimed at Oblivion.

Back
Top Bottom