|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Obsidian Entertainment - Teasing a new game

Default Obsidian Entertainment - Teasing a new game

November 9th, 2017, 22:19
A new Obsidian game is fine by me. Just, for God's sake, forgo Sawyer and his B-team.
--
"… thing about Morrowind is we did far more than we could, far less polished than we should. It's a miracle that it works at all… there's too much, and it's like jazz… a product like Oblivion - far better software… but Morrowind… oh there's so much delicious nonsense in that." ~ words of wisdom by K.Rolston

luj1

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

November 9th, 2017, 23:03
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
Probably connected with game that Cain and Boyarsky are working on. Hoping for some Troika level magic (but less bugs)
Have they hinted at what type of game they are working on?

I'm interested in anything Obsidian puts out. I'm a fan.

DarNoor

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

November 9th, 2017, 23:06
If they made Pathfinder+NWN I'd be excited.

Generally however I'll sit on the fence and watch. Obsidian doesn't automatically mean awesome for me. Happy to see more rpg-ish stuff though for sure and I much prefer their offerings over the big corporate console, so called rpg, offerings.
--
"You will find your death pleasant, but your fate unbearable." - Hionhurn the Executioner

KaosWarMonk

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

November 9th, 2017, 23:27
Curious myself, Besides Bethesda, and now Pirahna Bytes, Obsidian is one of the last developers I like. I counted up my favorite games through the years and 90% of them are by Beth, Obsidian, or the now defunct Bioware. Guess maybe PB can replace Bioware (which as far as I am concerned no longer exists) for position in my top 3 developers.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
+1:

November 9th, 2017, 23:32
Originally Posted by DarNoor View Post

I'm interested in anything Obsidian puts out. I'm a fan.
I think they might have mentioned it being something new, not based on PoE engine.

Archangel

SasqWatch

November 9th, 2017, 23:44
Originally Posted by DarNoor View Post
If it's indeed Tim's and Leonard's upcoming "dream game" , this is what I've gathered insofar…
  • it will be a 3rd person RPG in realtime
  • brand new IP
  • post-apoc and/or steampunk
  • will target consoles as well
  • they want it to be a mainstream success as well as a respectable RPG in a classic sense (impossible in my book but w/e)
  • it wont be crowdfunded
  • Unreal Engine 4 most likely
--
"… thing about Morrowind is we did far more than we could, far less polished than we should. It's a miracle that it works at all… there's too much, and it's like jazz… a product like Oblivion - far better software… but Morrowind… oh there's so much delicious nonsense in that." ~ words of wisdom by K.Rolston

luj1

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

November 10th, 2017, 00:32
Wow.. why so much hate for Obsidian? I'm not a big fan myself, but most of their stuff has been decent or better.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

November 10th, 2017, 00:35
Hoping it captures some of that Troika magic. That would be great. Anyway, I'm in. Make it something good, Obsidian.

Fluent

Transfer Companion
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
+1:

November 10th, 2017, 00:56
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
I'm just not into the Obsidian style of gaming. I've never finished one of their games, though I backed Pillars, stupidly.

I have the CE sitting on my desk to remind me never to back one of their products again. I WOULD buy another Fallout collaboration, but that's it.
We have like exact opposite tastes. I finish practically every Obsidian game I try. I have never been able to finish a Bethesda game. Even my beloved Fallout franchise, loved 1 & 2, couldn't get into 3 or 4, yet loved New Vegas. Guess it just comes down to their storytelling styles.

Either way, Obsidian is the more hardcore developer, and as such are clearly and objectively superior.

rossrjensen

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

November 10th, 2017, 01:00
I liked some of their games better than others. Was not that happy with POE (mechanics or story); but they have done some games in the past I really liked. Btw I'm probably the only person on the face of the world that found dungeon siege 3 interesting.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
+1:

November 10th, 2017, 02:23
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
Probably connected with game that Cain and Boyarsky are working on. Hoping for some Troika level magic (but less bugs)
You know I was coming into this thread being negative reading the title because I feel that Obsidian have become a c-tier game dev, but seeing that Cain and Boyarsky are possibly making it gives me new hope and a lot of hope. Their Arcanum game is still amazing today and Cain's MMO is very good albeit not for me. If they are making the game, it is guaranteed to be a b game or above.

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

November 10th, 2017, 04:31
I liked PoE and I liked Tyranny, but if this is a third person real time RPG (i.e. Bethesda wannabe) not interested.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

November 10th, 2017, 06:23
Bethesda is more first person to me. But if Obsidian wants to try a PB style third person, I'm for it

Or a first person SureAI style. Now THAT would be something.

Fluent

Transfer Companion
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

November 10th, 2017, 09:18
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
It's a forum asshole. Everyone posts their opinion. Even your insignificant one. If you post about someone being cynical, you reap the rewards. Please don't cry too hard, you're flooding poor Seattle.
Don't try too hard, sir! Everyone knows why you don't like anything related to Tim Cain - you wrote it and we remember. Even if your post got deleted.

BTW: Calling other watchers names won't lead me into liking anything churned out by Pete Hines.
--
blackcanopus:
Steam is out of question. It's not convenient, it's not easy to use, it's not simple and fast. It's terrible.
"Where STEAM fails, the PHOENIX rises"

Sir_Brennus

Planeswalker
Original Sin 2 Donor

November 10th, 2017, 11:52
Originally Posted by luj1 View Post
If it's indeed Tim's and Leonard's upcoming "dream game" , this is what I've gathered insofar…
  • it will be a 3rd person RPG in realtime
  • brand new IP
  • post-apoc and/or steampunk
  • will target consoles as well
  • they want it to be a mainstream success as well as a respectable RPG in a classic sense (impossible in my book but w/e)
  • it wont be crowdfunded
  • Unreal Engine 4 most likely
Thanks. The one thing on that list that concerns me is when they say "mainstream". We know what that means. I look forward to learning more about it.

DarNoor

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

November 10th, 2017, 14:51
Originally Posted by Sir_Brennus View Post
Don't try too hard, sir! Everyone knows why you don't like anything related to Tim Cain - you wrote it and we remember. Even if your post got deleted.
I know nothing about this. Fill me in!

screeg

floating head

November 10th, 2017, 15:02
Nothing to see here. Please carry on.
--
blackcanopus:
Steam is out of question. It's not convenient, it's not easy to use, it's not simple and fast. It's terrible.
Last edited by Sir_Brennus; November 10th, 2017 at 17:24.

Sir_Brennus

Planeswalker
Original Sin 2 Donor

November 10th, 2017, 15:03
Originally Posted by screeg View Post
I know nothing about this. Fill me in!
It may have something to do with this.
--
blackcanopus:

Sir_Brennus

Planeswalker
Original Sin 2 Donor

November 10th, 2017, 15:46
Well now I'm confused just like @screeg I guess.
That's about someone's personal life, not about gamedesign talent (or lack of), products they make or products we expect.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)

November 10th, 2017, 17:24
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Well now I'm confused just like @screeg I guess.
That's about someone's personal life, not about gamedesign talent (or lack of), products they make or products we expect.
That actually IS the point. Nut went into a homophobic rant about TC when the forum topic was about games by Troika. The bile he has for TC and Obsidian after TC joined them is probably based on the aformentioned rant.

Well, or so I suspect.
--
blackcanopus:

Sir_Brennus

Planeswalker
Original Sin 2 Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Obsidian Entertainment - Teasing a new game