Bioshock - PC Demo News

Dhruin

SasqWatch
From Cult of the Rapture:
After the appearance of the BioShock Demo on Xbox 360™ last night, I’m sure many of you PC fans wondered, “What about us?”
Here’s the deal.
A BioShock PC Demo IS coming. We tried as hard as humanly possible to get it out to you guys simultaneously with the 360 demo, but we needed to make sure that it was perfect -- that all drivers were ready, and that the game looked great on a huge variety of computers.
Currently, the PC demo in its final stages of testing and approval. We are pushing to get it out to you as soon as possible. It will be out during the month of August, and everyone is working at full capacity to deliver it to you before the game hits store shelves on August 21st. I will also let you know as soon as I have an exact date for the demo's release, so please stay tuned.
I cannot express enough how sorry I am for the wait. Thank you for understanding and your patience. Just remember -- only eight days left till you get your hands on the full game.
I’ll let you know where to get the demo as soon as it becomes available.
In other Bioshock news, CVG has a preview of an upcoming interview with senior designer Joe Donagh with some interesting insight into the fight to find a publisher:
Speaking to CVG about his role in its conception and development, McDonagh said, "Bioshock was a long time in the making. Ever since System Shock II the team had talked about everything they wished they'd done differently.
"Ken (Levine) spent years pitching the game to publishers but no one was interested, incredible as that seems now. I joined Irrational in December 2004 and my first job was to get a publishing deal for the game (I worked as the Business Development Director for the first six months). I remember pitching the game to one publisher who later told a friend of mine that it was 'just another fucking PC FPS that's going to sell 250,000 units.'

"This sort of attitude really pissed me off. System Shock II, for all its critical success, didn't sell very well which turned buyers off. Something I realised very quickly was that as much as your boss won't ever know that you turned down a future game of the year, he will know that you signed up a turkey. You don't get fired for not taking risks. That kind of mentality is driving the industry into a creative cul de sac."
Kind of ironic, given the current "Bioshock is an FPS" PR push.
You can also grab a new trailer from Worthplaying.
More information.

The game rocks on the 360 if you are interested.

The game rocks on the 360 if you are interested.

Not really.
Unless you tell us why and in which way it rocks, if it rocks all the way or in patches, how long it rocks, if it rocks in RPGish or FPSish ways, what your minor nitpicks with its geral rockishness are, etc. etc.

Not really.
Unless you tell us why and in which way it rocks, if it rocks all the way or in patches, how long it rocks, if it rocks in RPGish or FPSish ways, what your minor nitpicks with its geral rockishness are, etc. etc.
Well, since the game isn't out yet he is just talking about the demo ... but early reviews have been very favorable. What has me wondering is since there is so much talk about 'cerebral shooter' surfacing now that all details are ironed out yet it was just 'FPS' not too long ago ... I wonder what we'll get. I'm a shooter fan so I'm an easy sell ;)

A good shooter with an interesting story is nothing I shun. Just finally got around to play thorugh HL2 and Episode 1, and had a blast, linear as that thing is. If we get more wide open shooters with more environment and character interaction from this bastardization of the RPG genre, than I am all for it. Which reminds me I should play STALKER. Just as long as someone still does real RPG's...

Does anyone know where in europe one could buy the collectors edition?

Thers many types of editions around:

1. BioShock in a DVD case.
2. BioShock in a DVD case which is then in a tin (?). Some stores are selling this as their normal version and labeling it as Limited Edition, and when they run out of tins you just get BioShock in a DVD case. The tins are limited in number, hence some stores marketing it as a limited edition, as it is in a way.
3. BioShock Limited Edition (Special Edition/Collectors Edition at some stores). The real deal. BioShock with all the extras: Making of DVD, Soundtrack, Big Daddy figurine; and perhaps more.

Last edited:
Does anyone know where in europe one could buy the collectors edition?

Everywhere. I mean, most major chains in the Netherlands seem to have it, and the online stores had it in stock too. Dunno where in Europe you are, but I imagine all EU countries have at least one online store or store chain where you can buy it.

I already pre-ordered my Special Edition.

Everywhere. I mean, most major chains in the Netherlands seem to have it, and the online stores had it in stock too. Dunno where in Europe you are, but I imagine all EU countries have at least one online store or store chain where you can buy it.

I already pre-ordered my Special Edition.

I ordered it too but they emailed me and said that take2 is having delivery problems so they cant deliver. I checked amazon uk and all they have is the tincase version - that is a version that has only a tin case - nothing else is special. The shop has removed the game from its salelist and others shops have followed declaring it sold out.
<rant>
I dont like buying normal version because the empty plastic wraps seem like awful waste of shelf space. I could just as well download the game and storage it more efficiently using my dvd catalog if the product is basicly non-physical. I dont need plastic.

In the old days the gameboxes where full of stuff (i.e ultima) and never had to pay extra for limited editions even. Hell even C64 gameboxes had thick manuals (i.e red storm rising) even though the games costed like 10€.
</rant>
Perhaps in future they can develop more durable medias than dvd. That way they could sell the media alone without any extra covers.

Last edited:
Well, you can't preorder (online at least) the CE/LE in Denmark yet. Don't ask me why. Though Denmark is on the list of European countries, who should receive the CE/LE: http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/newsbit?newsbit=5785.

Does anyone know any UK shop with the "real" collectors edition with all the stuff like figurines? As said even though UK is on the list they are only selling the limited tincase edition.

On Gameplay.co.uk the one in a Tin case is just the normal one...in a tin case. It's limited edition in that, once they run out of tin cases, they just send the normal DVD cases instead.

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=64633

wow, that figure would look cool on my desk

I should go against my better judgement and preorder this, all the kids are doing it these days

Back
Top Bottom