Venetica - Steam Greenlight

Voted.
Not an epic game like trot, but still fun.

I really enjoyed Venetica, and would definitely re-buy to get on Steam :)

Defiantly supported!

why they have to go throu the greenlight process?
they are known designers.
one email to steam and its on sale.

May be it is a marketing move, because games on greenlight get kind of an Indie/Kickstarter image?

And threads on RPGWatch...:spotlight-left:

By the way I liked both Venetica and trot. :cool:

Where did you hear this? Steam is a closed platform. Indies, unknown developers (like Deck 13 on an international scale) and small publishers always had a hard time getting onto Steam.

You can thanks god to not have born female.

Chances are that had he been born female, his outlook on some things would be different. We each only have one perspective, and honestly accepting it - especially on something as trivial as a video game - is important. It is also why some of the awesome ladies here are not fans of the Gothic games due to inflexible male-only character.

Just to let everyone know, Venetica is now on GamersGate if you're looking to purchase it right now. Suprisingly, it's only $9.99.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-VENETICA/venetica

None of the previews I saw prior to release generated any interest from me, but after watching some gameplay footage on YouTube, I think I might have give Venetica a chance. It looks very "Piranha Byte-ish" in its atmosphere and environments.

We had a Let's Play thread somewhere.

Story driven game with a simple but very effective combat system on top. I enjoyed it enough to play it a second time.

And of course it has an attractive female main character. ;)

it's a pretty average game, but some fun t o be had.

My name is Jason and I'm a game hoarder. I must now buy Venetica for 9.99

If these were physical boxes, I'd be like one of those people on the hoarding shows.

While Steam is "contemplating", gamersgate decided to add it to their catalogue immediately. Dunno what were they waiting for…
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-VENETICA/venetica

The price? 10€!
Um... Where's the topselling stat on gamersgate? I bet Venetica gets to top10.

Chances are that had he been born female, his outlook on some things would be different. We each only have one perspective, and honestly accepting it - especially on something as trivial as a video game - is important. It is also why some of the awesome ladies here are not fans of the Gothic games due to inflexible male-only character.

So it's what I wrote, he was lucky to born male because there's many RPG with male only main character, Lands of Lore 1, The Witcher series, Gothic series, and many other.

Is it really that natural to accept only the same gender?

It seems to me like reading only books with male hero or female hero, viewing only movies or TV series with a male main hero or a female main hero, it makes no sense for me.

Is really games that different? Is really the identification process stronger in a game than in a book? Not for me.

For me any games, I'm not the main character, I'm not Geralt and I'm not Baldur's Gate hero and I'm not Venetica female hero.

EDIT: It's probably more about empathy than identification, and gender isn't a big deal when it's about the empathy mechanism.

EDIT2: If it's about kids or teenagers it's different because they are in a process of building their personality, and it's clear that games can be used more with the identification approach, but I think that this is supposed to disappear at adult age.

It seems to me like reading only books with male hero or female hero, viewing only movies or TV series with a male main hero or a female main hero, it makes no sense for me.

Is really games that different? Is really the identification process stronger in a game than in a book? Not for me.

For me any games, I'm not the main character, I'm not Geralt and I'm not Baldur's Gate hero and I'm not Venetica female hero.

For me, I would say yes, games are a lot different than watching a movie or reading a book.

When I play a game, I imagine the character I'm playing is an extension of myself. I can't do that with books or movies.

I'm sure that's the case for you - but that's not the case for me.

Identification with the protagonist is a huge thing for me, and I'm immediately turned off in practically any game if I can't identify with my character. I can't play robots, monsters, or RPG races that stray too far from humans.

I'm unable to identify with females. It's not a cerebral reaction, it's an empathic reaction. It's out of my hands.

But I'm not complaining about that, I'm simply stating that I can't play an RPG with a female only protagonist. I can't even play Diablo with a female character, despite the minimal RPG features.

The only games I've managed to play to a significant extent with a female protagonist - were some of the early Tomb Raiders. Mostly because they were incredibly impressive, technically, and I was able to focus on the puzzles/exploration - and the character interaction was minimal.

Interesting - I also very strongly identify with my character (hence my tolerance for RPGs relatively low on stats and with high degree of player skill involvment) but I can do that with pretty much any shape or gender of character. Robots? Hey I'll be a robot then. However I have a low tolerance for sinister roles (e.g. Assassins) see our recent discussion on GTA, AC, Hitman and their ilk. Maybe because I identify too much and the role than makes me uncomfortable?

Back
Top Bottom