|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Opinion - ME:A & Fallout 4: An Eerie Resemblance

Default Opinion - ME:A & Fallout 4: An Eerie Resemblance

November 16th, 2016, 06:15
@SugerBombed Dingo lists 6 resemblances between Mass Effect: Andromeda and Fallout 4.

Happy N7 Day, Dear Reader!
I know it's been some time since I've written to you (a little over three months, to be exact), but I managed to wrangle some free time from my increasinly busy schedule. I write to you today to share with you my observations regarding something I am finding increasingly peculiar--the eerie similarities between Fallout 4 and the upcoming Mass Effect Andromeda. We've seen it go the other way around, what with Fallout 4 "borrowing" the equivalent of the wheel conversation structure, and the inclusion of a rather large group of romanceable companions, and now it seems to have come full circle. Note that these observations are made from what amounts to less than ten minutes of actual footage, but ultimately, I've come up with what I feel are six solid reasons that MEA seems to be taking a page or two out of Bethesda's handbook.

#6: Mysterious Underground Vaults
We all know that part of the magic of the Fallout universe are the sinister Vault-Tec bunkers, called "Vaults" in-game, spread throughout the United States. The vast majority of these nuclear hideouts served as more than shelters, with behind-the-scenes experimentation focusing on the vault dwellers. The experiments ranged in scale, but almost always lead to one thing--the mass death of the residents. Looking at Fallout 4's starting vault, Vault 111, we see the perfect example of this, as only the protagonist and Shawn survive the Vault's experimentation. Despite this, however, Vaults are sought after by gamers for a number of reasons--to find hidden treasures; to discover more about the world of Vault-Tec; or maybe simply to take shelter from raiders and supermutants.

While we know very little about the Vaults in Andromeda, we see a few similarities. If you will recall, we were introduced to the Vaults during the Official 4K Tech Video--they're mentioned by name at the 2:07 mark. Prior to this in the video, however, we see the protagonist and his team exploring what appears to be a vast underground area, searching for hidden information. Upon discovering it, he posits that each point on the map could be a Vault on another world. So we already see similarities in these large, underground structures that have been hidden throughout the game world.
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

November 16th, 2016, 06:46
Hard to slip anything past these guys.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

November 16th, 2016, 10:59
FO4 = no MMO.
ME4 = MMO!

What resemblance.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)

November 16th, 2016, 13:02
What makes it a MMO exactly?

Yme

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

November 16th, 2016, 14:53
Originally Posted by Yme View Post
What makes it a MMO exactly?
joxer calls any game with an online component a MMO.
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

November 16th, 2016, 16:03
Ah, just a lack of dried frog pills then.

Yme

Sentinel

November 16th, 2016, 16:56
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
joxer calls any game with an online component a MMO.
Not really. Stardew Valley is not MMO for example - it was developed with singleplayer part as priority while multiplayer part got pushed back. This not MMO game sold more than a million copies.

MGS5 does have MMO component, a scammy one with pay2cheat microtransactions, but the game is not MMO - on PC at least you can finish the whole game, in fact you can 100% the game without ever going on line. Proof? Check my Steam achievements - I don't have only one and it's playing the MMO mission turd.

ME4, based on what's shown so far and on available to preorder editions, smells like Titanfall 2.
MMO with a brief solo (offline) mission.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)

November 16th, 2016, 17:57
So the author basically took an upcoming title about which we know relatively little, then looked around for an existing title that had some similar elements, and calls it an "eerie" resemblance. Err, no. That's not eerie.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

November 17th, 2016, 00:33
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Not really. Stardew Valley is not MMO for example - it was developed with singleplayer part as priority while multiplayer part got pushed back. This not MMO game sold more than a million copies.
FWIW, Stardew Valley has absolutely zero multiplayer/online components.

Morbus

Colonel RPG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

November 17th, 2016, 13:23
Of course ME4 has underground bunkers. It needs every excuse it can get to add lots and lots of crates and explodable cannisters.

Lynchden

Watchdog
Original Sin 2 Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Opinion - ME:A & Fallout 4: An Eerie Resemblance