Gaming Music - Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Indie Retro News has posted about the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra playing over an hours worth of popular video game music.

Before the concert starts in the first video, there is a short interview in swedish, where one of the musicians (Håkan Björkman) talks about his experience of the show. He is not that much into videogames, but says that he appreciated the Mega Man music alot, and that it required alot of stamina to play that suite.

Journey - I Was Born For This: 06:00
Assains Creed IV: Black Flag - Suite: 14:05
Amiga Medley: 19:30
Final Fantasy IX - Suite: 28:40
The Last Of Us - All Gone No Escape: 38:10
Super Mario Suite (17 different parts!) - 42:15 And a personal favourite is at 45:06 and a few seconds forward! That face. :)
Bloodborne - Suite: 53:40
Megaman - Suite: 1:02:15
The Legend Of Zelda - Suite: 1:11:54
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - The Dragonborn Comes - 1:31:05
Final Fantasy VI - Aria The Mezzo Carattere: 1:37:55

Video by ornvik481 and thanks to Leffmann from the EAB forums for the heads up! ( Link )

Video by ornvik481 and thanks to Leffmann from the EAB forums for the heads up! ( Link ) - See more at: http://www.indieretronews.com/2016/03/score-beautiful-gaming-music-from.html#more
More information.

Thanks, looks fun. I'll check it out later.
But you know... no Rob Hubbard, no biscuit. :)

I went to the "We come in peace" (Sci Fi music) concert at the same venue last year. Excellent stuff, with Darth Vader conducting the Imperial march.

Nice concert. :)

But you know… no Rob Hubbard, no biscuit. :)

Haha, I concur good Pongo!

Just for you sir - keeping in the theme of Swedish video game covers, in case you and others haven't heard Visa Roster before, here's a delightful live rendition of International Karate from Live in Brighton. (I bought both of their albums some years ago incidentally; really fun original a cappella style!) :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAY_fJ4IHHE

Cheers also to Silver for the original post.

Last edited:
Have to say first, I'm not a music expert. However, I'm immune to mainstream junk music, I don't think everything exotic plain rocks and will never ever say something is great just to please someone else.

Still with me? Okay.

This whole thing is a joke. It's not gaming music - it's CONSOLE music. What's even worse, it's console mainstream.
I've already posted before for a game series I know that ports are available on PC so I played them. AC4 music is not bad. But it's just okay, nothing special and nothing memorable that'd lure someone into listening to it over and over. On the other hand, AC:Rogue soundtrack is a masterpiece. Not only that, but AC:Rogue is a game way better than AC4 - but it didn't sell that much copies and is not a mainstream*.

Good job with the concert, but Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra didn't deserve any respect from me. In fact, I'm utterly disappointed with the source they chose to cover. Sorry about that.

-----------------------------------------------------
* AC:Rogue is a musthave game. No, it's not RPG. Yes, it's uPlay DRM. But buy now. Don't buy The Division and other Ubi rubbish. Or better yet ignore this offtopic part, I promised ages ago to make a thread on AC games, will do later or tomorrow.

But you know… no Rob Hubbard, no biscuit. :)

Rob Hubbard is in there! Under the Amiga medley section.

Ahh yeah, well spotted Ripper. Admittedly this isn't his classic era though. C64 forever! ;)

Chris Huelsbeck's Turrican is in that section too; very nice.

This is sounding better and better! As soon as I get home from work the headphones are going on. :)

I've never heard of Visa Rosta, I'll check them out. Could you post a link to the IK tune please, Pessimeister?

Doh! Sorry about that. Added now. :)

Aaaand, just because one can never have enough Swedish C64 covered love in one's life, here's some Machinae Supremacy for good measure. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnYn2u-3Bbs

(Huelsbeck, Matt Gray, Hubbard…ahh yes! The International Karate cover starting at 5.25 still brings the shivers for me.)

Last edited:
Thanks Pessimeister, enjoyed the Machinae Supremacy link! Was that a bit of Last Ninja I heard before IK….? ;) Maybe we should start a separate thread on this stuff, I can happily reminisce on SID tunes (and the various covers) all day long.

With the OP, enjoyed the tunes (and particularly the Amiga medley…). I don't know how to rate orchestras particularly, but they sounded pretty awesome to me.

Back
Top Bottom