Felipe's cRPG Book - Open call for reviews

Fluent, these are positive reviews, not only from the Codex, but from many CRPG fans and devs all over the world.

The book is for all audiences, so I don't allow foul language.

Also, it will cover all relevant & influential games, including some bad ones like Dungeon Hack, Dragon Age 2 and Pool of Radiance 2, but never being edgy or just bashing the games.

Just wondering, are there going to be negative reviews in this book? I remember someone mentioning a Top 10 worst list or something. Also, will it have a lot of foul language and general Codex-like behavior? Or is everyone on good behavior for it?

I just have some hesitation contributing to something that originated on the Codex. :-/

I think that's a little silly, Fluent. Although the opinions and behaviours vary widely different between Watch and Codex, both groups are enthusiastic about RPG. From what I've read so far, most of reviews are passionate and appropriate.

It's for the good cause, Fluent! I think you should participate as an RPG lover ;)

P.S. Just off topic. I went to see Gordon Ramsey (the well known chef, also known for swearing a lot on TV) on one of the live cooking shows. I heard whispers in the line, that people are worried he is going swear the way he does on TV. On the contrary, he was very professional and pleasant. I think he swore on TV show Hells Kitchen a lot, because he was genuinely frustrated with people who can't run their restaurant because he's passionate about it. Thought maybe there's similarity between him and Codex :) I may not find their attitude pleasant all the time, but I can see they are passionate about games.

Sorry, it's just hard for me to trust stuff from the Codex. I've seen some really vile things come from that place.

But if this book is for the "good cause", then I will participate. I'll start working on my Oblivion review sometime soon. :)

I think that's a little silly, Fluent. Although the opinions and behaviours vary widely different between Watch and Codex, both groups are enthusiastic about RPG. From what I've read so far, most of reviews are passionate and appropriate..
I have to disagree as my opinion and dealing with them is very negative so Fluent has a valid point with his question. I trust felipepepe though and like his reply to the question.
Sorry, it's just hard for me to trust stuff from the Codex. I've seen some really vile things come from that place.

But if this book is for the "good cause", then I will participate. I'll start working on my Oblivion review sometime soon. :)
Don't be sorry Fluent as I agree with you. I also look forward to reading your articles.

felipe, Can you refresh my memory for what I signed up for? Just Oblivion?

I think it was Oblivion & Nehrim.

PS:
@Fluent & Couch
Don't take the trolls coming here as a 'pars pro toto' for the whole Codex.
As purpleblob said, most Codexians care about CRPGs and have a lot of knowledge about them.

I'm sure most of them care about CRPGs, but some of the stuff I've seen from that site has been nothing but negativity. That's why I don't frequent that forum. I much prefer this site which is a lot more laid-back. :)

Caring about them and participating in a mature constructive conversation are totally different though.

Felipe happens to be a member who can do both and all my interactions with him regarding reviews (and reading the others in the preview) have been very professional.

It's a fan book. Which means that all articles are written by people who really like the respective games. That's also true for games that are generally not liked on the Codex, like Fallout 3.

I don't think a "worst" list makes much sense. Most games that really deserve that label remain mostly unplayed and forgotten.

I think it should be a pointer that it's you who will write the Oblivion review. I don't think there was anyone on the Codex who wanted to do that.

I don't think a worst list is a good idea, either. Let's keep the book positive. There's no need to bash games that the vocal minority dislike (most people enjoyed Dragon Age 2, for example).

So, I think a worst list should be skipped. But that's just my humble opinion. You're detracting from the goodness that the book is delivering if you do that...

Yeah, I abandoned the idea of a worst list some time ago... as Turjan said, the really bad games are forgotten. What remains are the controversial ones.

Even Ultima IX has a somewhat positive review, with Kenneth from Ultima Codex explaining the development history and the technical innovations. Of course that he also point out what a disappointment the game was, but that's not the reason why the game is there.

Filipe

I noticed you were looking at those "Genesis" era games of the 1970's that started it, like Ubliette, after our discussion. I know their opinion of Wizardry isn't too favourable and with good reason.

I volunteered to write something short about these games if possible. Have you thought about writing it yourself?

Ubliette, as readers may or may not know, has now been ported to mobile.

Other early games include Pedit5 and dnd. dnd, for example, inspired Telengard, Ultima, and Rogue. The former two started off as 3rd party ports.

Yeah, I'm thinking about writing it myself now... or contacting someone from Cyber1. I all these months I researched a lot on the subject and managed to get a Cyber1 account and play most of them.

I even made a thread about them on the Codex: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-why-wizardry-and-akalabeth-are-posers.94690/

I honestly liked Avatar a lot. I wish there were more info on it... the simple fact that it's called "Avatar" already destroys Richard Garriott's claim that he invented the term.

… the simple fact that it's called "Avatar" already destroys Richard Garriott's claim that he invented the term.
It's a term from Hinduism anyway, and it's used in pretty much the same way in his games as it is there. He might have read the Bhagavad Gita or even just about it. Indian stuff was a fad when he was little, so it's very likely he got it from there.

Last edited:
It's a term from Hinduism anyway, and it's used in pretty much the same way in his games as it is there. He might have read the Bhagavad Gita or even just about it. Indian stuff was a fad when he was little, so it's very likely he got it from there.
Yes, I'm aware, but Garriott constantly likes to boast a bit more than he should... like, in this interview at 2:00, he states he:

1 - Invented the first RPGs on computer;
2 - Ultima I was the first game in a box;
3 - Ultima IV was the first time that there were virtues in a game;
4 - Ultima V was the first time that there were NPCs with schedules;
5 - He began the use of the term "Avatar" for in-game player character;
6 - He created the concept of MMORPGs.

And only 3 & 4 are actually true... of course, gaming journalists are allergic to research and will simply re-print all exactly as he says.

Felipe, I love you. No, seriously. What you just put into words in that article is EXACTLY what I've observed and felt about gaming for some time now. Thank you so much for writing that. I hope others will read it and learn a valuable lesson from it.

Excellent work, man. Truly! :)

Edit - However, I would have ended on a more positive note. Instead of being cynical, let's continue doing what we do and spreading the knowledge of older games as much as we can. Let's hope that the future will start to realize that games of the past have lots of value. Heck, let's even press the fact that old games can still be fun today! (Something I've been saying for a long time, now)

I hope by playing these old games, showcasing them on sites like YouTube and the like, new gamers will become curious about these old games and try to learn more about them, watch them and play them themselves. Who knows, maybe someone will even be inspired by these old gems and look to build something new in the same spirit. I can hope and dream, right? :)

But yeah, let's push the idea of gaming is art every chance we get. It rests on our shoulders now, so we should try to progress as much as possible. The book you're working on is a step in the right direction. :)

It came to my knowledge that many Watchers have NOT fulfilled their promise to write an article for felipepepe yet.

Please don't let him down!

You can be part of a wonderful book about CRPGs.
The previews are looking really good already.

Get with it!

Back
Top Bottom