Eschalon: Book I - Review @ Linuxforums.org

magerette

Hedgewitch
Linux Forums has posted a review of Basilisk Games' cRPG, Eschalon: Book I, with a scoreless but positive look at all the details:
The first thing that strikes you about Eschalon is the music. It's soothing, calm, makes you feel comfortable while playing. And play you will. Alot. This is not the kind of game you can finish in a week then move on to another turn-based game. You'll give up your social life, you'll start arguing with your girlfriend about going to sleep late and in a few more day you'll be calculating everything in turns. I swear to God I was seeing tiles on the street by the third week.
Conclusion:
Eschalon is the perfect example of how a turn-based game should be made. The number of creatures you'll encounter is not as high as in other games of the genre but they're five times harder to kill. You'll spend countless hours battling, resting and battling again. Furthermore, Eschalon will make you use your brain because completing a task will not be just about how much blood you can spill. There are cryptic riddles to crack and an incredibly large map to explore. I'm impatiently waiting for Eschalon: Book II that's coming out this year. It will also have a Linux port, a redesigned interface, support for higher and better graphics and a larger game resolution. Thumbs up to the people at Basilisk Games.
More information.

Enjoyed everything about the game...except "poison" to which I had zero resistance or ability to dispel. I enjoyed the storyline (that which i uncovered) and trying to explore as much of a map/region as I could...

But the salamanders eventually proved too daunting and sucked the fun as well as the life out of me :(

Bought the full game, perhaps I'll try it again and see if it plays out the same....or if I can think of different ways to combat them with my Fighter character.

I do think there is a market for such games and am glad they are working on Book 2 ;)

There's ways to cure poison, but I agree, it was a pain!!

Looking forward to Eschalon II. Poison was a pain until you boosted your Alchemy skill high enough to create good cure poison potions.

It's nice to see this game still getting coverage.

Shaf

Couldn't you just hop to a priest, pay an inordinate amount of money, and be cured?

Couldn't you just hop to a priest, pay an inordinate amount of money, and be cured?

Sure...but i didn't have an inordinate amount ;)

I was trying to follow the quest line as I received them (or close) and was trying to recover an item (key?) from the cemetery/ crypt...

Perhaps if I when in search of another quest in a different loc there wouldn't be as many poisonous salamanders around.

I wasn't able to lvl enough to put points into Alchemy, maybe if I only did that skill from the start...

Will boot it up and mess with it some more, been almost a year since I played...all I know is I didn't get very far (lvl 3?) trying to play as a Fighter ;)

Try it again; poison is one of the few challenges and the game is quite fun!

Back
Top Bottom