Mass Effect 3 - What We Want @ IGN

Dhruin

SasqWatch
I guess these "What We Want" articles are filler as the real news winds down for the holidays. Head to IGN if you want to know what they think should feature in Mass Effect 3:
The Normandy is one of the most recognizable ships in video game science-fiction. Acquiring control of the SR-1 in the original Mass Effect was a turning point in the game's narrative, and the reveal of the SR-2 was just as inspiring in Mass Effect 2. As players battled the Collectors in Shepard's second journey, the Normandy was not only a home for the heroes but an ever-growing weapon to be used against the Collectors in the final mission. One would assume that controlling the Normandy in this thrilling battle would be a fantastic opportunity for gameplay, but players were restricted to flying the vessel slowly around the galaxy map. Tragic!
Piloting the Normandy would be a perfect addition to Mass Effect 3. We'd love take direct control of the Normandy from inside the cockpit and traverse the galaxy in the same way you'd fly a plane in a traditional flight simulator. Even if this addition was confined to specific sections during the story, steering the Normandy could still be used as a plot device and a way to reward gamers that have been disappointed by the limited interaction with the Normandy in the past.
More information.

God, no. I do not want to directly pilot the Normandy. Who are these people? It's a RPG not a space flight sim!

God, no. I do not want to directly pilot the Normandy. Who are these people? It's a RPG not a space flight sim!

Agreed! I never wanted to pilot the Normandy and hated the "pilot the shuttle" DLC.

I think it was a good article. The LOOT one was good.

They work for IGN.

Everyone should know by now that IGN is a console only fanbase.The pc has just a token support on the site.The editors even admitted they dont like pc gaming.

Why dont they like PC gaming ??? they cant even install a fukin game... IGN Reviews huh

I believe major reviewsites have contributed to the decline of gaming overall. While ocassionally reviewing titles that managed to get popular by other means, none of them have a section dedicated to indie companies and upcomers where all the innovation are. Thus the contribute nothing to the market, they only preserve the titans by presenting only the AAA titles where innovation plays an extremely minor role, instead the bulk of an AAA title correspond to the investment in expensive engines and marketing.

They are a part of the structure that show how the "free market" quench variation as effective as communism with only a few brands.

Please dear god not more minigames. The best improvment of ME2 was the nearly complete elimination of this stupid buggy. And the most annyoing thing was the planet scanning minigame.

So if they want to improve ME3 then take the combat from ME2 and improve it (but do not, I repeate DO NOT go back to ME1 combat), don't integrate any minigames at all and improve the RPG aspect of the game (the importance of stats and skills and perks, I don't care about the loot).

I think they made some good suggestions, though I could do without the salivating Bio-asskissing attitude.

Oh, and I think I'd enjoy controlling the space ship - if they could make it work. I wouldn't want some half-assed space game to get in the way, but something genuine would make the game more interesting, I think.

If they could give me the sensation of true space exploration, it would definitely be a step up.

I believe major reviewsites have contributed to the decline of gaming overall. While ocassionally reviewing titles that managed to get popular by other means, none of them have a section dedicated to indie companies and upcomers where all the innovation are. Thus the contribute nothing to the market, they only preserve the titans by presenting only the AAA titles where innovation plays an extremely minor role, instead the bulk of an AAA title correspond to the investment in expensive engines and marketing.
I disagree. Gamespot? Maybe. IGN? Maybe.

PC Gamer? Nope. At least in the UK (And on their website) they frequently push indie games and indie developers in both the magazine and on discs. Also, Destructoid, Kotaku and The Escapist all mention indie games, both PC and console, with some regularity. But Destructoid sucks so we can ignore that one.

I stand corrected.

The article basically states what's been said on numerous sites over and over again. The more common examples are that the complete removal of both the Mako and the inventory, instead of trying to fix them, was stupid and Bioware should implement them back.

The gamers market is in a bad way. The casual gaming market is booming , what they dont realize is that casual gaming loves to play when its popular the hardcore gamers so to say love it for the hobbie and stay interested for many years . The market doesnt realize yet is that it cant survive with out hardcore gamers . The gaming market will soon crash and the indie devs will pick up the pieces using the good old PC as the tools.

My thoughts on the various elements:

Want
- Space Combat: I don't really agree. I suppose it could work out okay, but I suspect it would take far too much resources to get right.
- Loot: Agreed.
- Paragon: I actually consider Paragon the most fun way to play the game already, so I don't really agree with this.
- Decisions with an impact: Agree completely.
- Vehicles: Well said.

Do not want
- Multiplayer: Indeed.
- Linear combat: Yep.
- Loading screens: Agree yet again.
- Starting from scratch: Another reset would be silly, but I fear it'll be the case.
- Planet mining: It certainly was boring, yes.

So all in all I mostly agree with the article, as I agree with 8 out 10 of their suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom