Mass Effect 3 - Multiplayer Indications?

Dhruin

SasqWatch
CinemaBlend has noticed a job advert that would seem to indicate multiplayer will be a feature of Mass Effect 3:
Maybe "suggests" is too weak a verb - the BioWare Montreal opening (picture below) is for a "Multiplayer Programmer (Mass Effect Franchise)." Not much room for interpretation, there. The ideal candidate will have to come up with "solutions to deal with network latency, de-synchronization of data between networked machines/players, packet compression, cheating, and interrupted connections." They'll also have to "work with databases that allow for chat rooms, client/server games, player matching, player stats, etc.".
More information.

I'm guessing this is for a spin-off rather than an entry in the main series, seeing as it's the Montreal office and not Edmonton.

At least I hope so, I'd just like them to finish the trilogy without tacked-on multiplayer features.

It seems clear ME 3 will have MP. I hadn't expected (or wanted) that. I guess we'll see what they come up with.

I assume they will try to be creative. Not just a bunch of Sheperds in a TDM or something...

Another pointless addition/change instead of improving the SP experience and moronic GUI (on PC).

I have been replaying Dragon Age with the new DLC's (which suck, similar to crap like Kasumi's Memories with ME2) and what I enjoyed in that game visually wasn't the blur-fest console port we got in the end (considering it was hyped as "PC only RPG" at first) but the flashy GUI.

The interface in DA is just sexy, the special effects when you open the inventory (and quick fade out when you close it), the nice blood spill in loading screens or log backgrounds and the speed at which everything responds to your click is a welcome change from the usual crap BioWare throws at PC gamers with their console ports.. primarily, Mass Effect so far. Actually, it is the best GUI for a game on PC I have seen since DeusEx (change the colors and transparency.. woo).

So yeah, instead of MP make ME3 the BEST EXPERIENCE EVER ON EVERY PLATFORM. Of course that isn't happening..

Last edited:
I think a seprerate entry is more likely than MP in ME3. The anti-cheating bit appears to imply PvP. I think a spin-off is the most likely thing here.

I hope you're right, I think MP in ME3 would be a mistake. They need to concentrate on making the single-player better.

I likewise really hope they don't waste resources on MP - or even worse modify the game to shoehorn in MP - for ME3.

It will suck.

Nothing indicates that MP will be present in ME3 to be honest, the only thing we know is that they need a multiplayer monkey for the franchise : could mean they want to go MMO, or that they want to do a spin-off with co-op or.. who knows.

It's too soon to judge.

As long as it won´t affect quality of Mass Effect - The Movie, I´m ok with it.

Formula;
Singleplayer Quality = S-M

S: Accumulated Singleplayer development time
M: Accumulated Multiplayer development time

Just as;
RPG quality = R-A

R: Roleplaying Mechanics
A: Action Mechanics

A 27% attention to MP thus equals a reduction of 27% of potential singleplayer quality. Whether the MP is actually good, or bad, it's mere addition have reduced the quality of the SP experience due to the loss of SP attention.

That's too simplistic to be true. I might as well just write: Singleplayer quality = accumulated singleplayer development time and multiplayer quality = accumulated multiplayer development time.

Most of the time the multi-player team is a completely different group of people (sometimes located in a different location, even) from the single player guys, anyway. And it's not like they'll run into budgetary problems, I would think.

The only thing that will reflect reality, is to take every single factor into consideration. People can't do that, because they're flawed. Numbers and statistics will never reflect reality - unless we severely curtail our perception of that reality.

Overall, a game with both SP and MP, doesn't have to have an isolated SP experience and an isolated MP experience, and the two can complement each other quite well.

The end result is a GAME, not just a SP part and an MP part.

Look at Neverwinter Nights, for instance - and see how things flow together to create a strong long-lasting product, even when the SP initial campaign was weak.

That's too simplistic to be true. I might as well just write: Singleplayer quality = accumulated singleplayer development time and multiplayer quality = accumulated multiplayer development time.

It was meant to be funny. But ohwell. Your above example doesn't compute though as there is a limit of resources.

My Model said:
100 Credits = 100 Manhours
100 Manhours is divided into 0 manhours MP and 100 manhours SP
100 Manhours is divided into 27 manhours MP and 73 manhours SP
Conclusion; 100 -0mp = greater than 100 -27mp

Your model;
Your Model said:
100 Credits = 100 Manhours
+100 Credits = 100 Manhours
200 Manhours is divided into 100 manhours MP and 100 manhours SP
or
200 Manhours is divided into 0 manhours MP and 200 manhours SP
Conclusion; 200 -0mp = greater than 200 -100mp, and the bank is asking us for 100 credits

Doesn't that imply that SP and MP completely exclude each other? I'd imagine that it would be far less work expand a carefully constructed game to accept multiplayer than to simply leave the SP part alone and start from scratch… But I'm only guessing because the truth is I don't really care about Bioware's man-hours.

Also… it could be tricky to add multiplayer to a game that is has established a storyline that revolves around one particular character.

Also also… JemyM you made me spend a while trying to locate that post by the user named "Your Model" :lol:

Back
Top Bottom