What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Fox released the first X-Men: Dark Phoenix Official Trailer

I just watched the almost 4 hour directors cut of the watchmen.

well if you can't tell my tag I am a fan this made me wish it was the film i saw the first time.

well if you can't tell my tag I am a fan this made me wish it was the film i saw the first time.
Actually that tag made me think you were a fan of Planescape Torment.

Another trailer this time it's the Aquaman Extended Video.

That looks… pretty forgettable. Standard superhero movie trailer for what appears to be a formulaic reluctant [super]hero movie.

Early Man - by Ray Park.
Makers of Wallace & Gromit.

I just watched the almost 4 hour directors cut of the watchmen.

I had exactly the opposite reaction - was a fan of the original theatrical release but after I saw the director's cut I was, like, "I can't believe I thought this movie was so great!"

Regarding Sophie Turner as Phoenix I kind of liked her take on the character in the previous X-Men movie, more than Famke Janssen's interpretation at least. I have no interest in watching the new one though given how bad X-Men: Apocalypse was.

I'm fascinated by the character of Patrica Highsmith's Tom Ripley so I watched Ripley's Game with John Malkovich as Ripley. Wow, Malkovich is a favorite actor but this has to be one of the worst adaptations of Highsmith's famous anti-hero. As far as I'm concerned Matt Damon played the definitive (and boldest) interpretation of the character, followed by Dennis Hopper in Wim Wenders' The American Friend. I still need to see Purple Noon though. Barry Pepper was by far the worst Tom Ripley. I lasted 10 minutes before I gave up on him as hopeless.

I'm fascinated by the character of Patrica Highsmith's Tom Ripley so I watched Ripley's Game with John Malkovich as Ripley. Wow, Malkovich is a favorite actor but this has to be one of the worst adaptations of Highsmith's famous anti-hero. As far as I'm concerned Matt Damon played the definitive (and boldest) interpretation of the character, followed by Dennis Hopper in Wim Wenders' The American Friend. I still need to see Purple Noon though. Barry Pepper was by far the worst Tom Ripley. I lasted 10 minutes before I gave up on him as hopeless.

We had her novel "People who knock on the door" at school in our English language course.

We had her novel "People who knock on the door" at school in our English language course.

You poor thing. I read the synopsis for it and it sounds awful, not at all what you'd expect from a Patricia Highsmith novel. We had to read a hardcore christian literary horror called The Cross and the Switchblade back in junior high for our morbidly obese english teacher Mrs. Robillard . When she'd shamble through the halls of our school, you could literally hear the amorphous mountains of flesh of her thighs grinding against each other, like a skinned cat slapping against wet leather, like a shoggath. She was a good christian woman, or so she kept telling us.

Lots of good movies playing this week might even see one but probably not:
Old Man and the gun
A Star is Born
The Hate You Give
A Simple Favor
Searching
-
then way down near the bottom of the list
Venom

Venom

It's a bit strange that the feedback about Venom is so contradictory. The critics suggest it's a load of "tosh" but the public seem to be scoring it fairly high. What I have read suggest that they have packed too much in too little time so it does not hang together. Probably means it requires watching with a pause button.

Interested to hear what other people who have seen the film think. Especially as I might go and see it on Wednesday.

Back
Top Bottom