Fallout: New Vegas - Dead Money Released for PC

Not showing up for me, I assume it was a glitch they had up for a moment and then took down.

It will probably be back up tomorrow at about 10AM Pacific time.

Might be location thing. I can see it in the store as a placeholder but it says "There is no downloadable content available for this game" for me if I dig into the menus for it. (US West Coast)

9,99€ ? Considering that the reviews for the x360 version was less than favourable I'll think I just pass on this. (or at least wait for it being on sale)

Might be location thing.

It is. It was early for Dhruin because of time zones obviously, should be unlocked for most time zones now though. But it might be more difficult for regions with specific publisher deals (like Poland and Cenega).

I'm a huge fan of Obsidian, but at this point it is too little, too late. I might give it a go the next time I'm replaying New Vegas, but for now I'm not buying it.

I'm still hoping for an actual add-on to New Vegas though - the game is more than worthy of a proper expansion.

I'm still hoping for an actual add-on to New Vegas though - the game is more than worthy of a proper expansion.

That seems unlikely. Currently the plans are for a total of four DLC of this size. It's possible we'll get more of them if they are really successful, but there's no plans for expansions or larger DLCs. I think Bethesda likes this model for DLCs.

That seems unlikely. Currently the plans are for a total of four DLC of this size. It's possible we'll get more of them if they are really successful, but there's no plans for expansions or larger DLCs. I think Bethesda likes this model for DLCs.

Unfortunately, I suspect you're right.

Not available here. I play the English version of the game and want to buy the English DLC but no, apparently they don't want my money. OK, I won't pry...

As the DLC seems to have everything I hate, I'll pass that one.

Yes I read alot of negative reviews and comments from those that have played the xbox version.. Mostly about the game being to hard and annoying in some parts.

Well, I just finished it and I can say that those people suck!

Just kidding. The combat will most definitely depend a lot on what level you are when you go in. I went at 24 and didn't feel too threatened by the enemies.

Furthermore, the stuff about the traps being unfair and all that... If you run into everything like a madman, then yeah, I could see how that might be. But Dead Money really encourages you to be careful and vigilant, and if you are, you should really have no problem with it. There was *one* section that I got annoyed with and had to re-load 2 or 3 times, but that was it in terms of the good ol' "having to go back and try again".
That said, because it *is* a very "survival" type of gameplay, I don't think I'll replay it anytime soon because... Well, a lot of the tension comes from a first impression type of deal I think.

On the other hand, the companions, story and backstory presented here are really top-notch. You can definitely tell that Avellone wrote this thing, there is quite a lot of dialogue and text (especially considering that this is "just" a DLC) and seemingly a few different ways you can handle companions and the main quest. And quite a large number of skill-checks as well, featuring some skills that are not used too much in convos otherwise. There is also an ending slide for the DLC similar to the main game, though obviously a lot smaller in scale.

If we are to compare to the Fallout 3 DLC, I think this one easily trumps them in terms of quality. Point Lookout can compete in terms of quantity and things to do but it's hard to compare since they are rather different in design.
This is the only time, along with Mysteries of Westgate, I felt somewhat invested in a DLC of any game and much of it has to do with really great writing and the tense atmosphere.

Still, while there are a lot of tie-ins to New Vegas itself, older Fallout titles, and even lots of hints for the upcoming DLC for the game, it still has that DLC feel where... Well, it just feels like a separate thing you know? It feels as if your character steps into another dimension for a spell, and then returns again.

But yep, I certainly enjoyed it. Of course, if one has other games to play I'm sure there'll be an ultimate edition down the road with all the DLCs and all that packed together.

Well, I just finished it and I can say that those people suck!

Just kidding. The combat will most definitely depend a lot on what level you are when you go in. I went at 24 and didn't feel too threatened by the enemies.

Starwars, how long did it take you to finish?

Dunno, didn't really keep track. I'd say 6-8 hours, somewhere in that vicinity. You could cut a decent amount of that off if you click through convos or don't bother talking at all. Alternatively, you could also squeeze more time out because you can actually explore a fair amount (I didn't do that a whole lot) in the game despite that it's rather "closed in" so to speak.

I played an hour or so... too surprisingly in love with Bulletstorm to keep playing right now. It seems good though, the dialogue with Dog was great and the enemies are suitably creepy (though not that hard). I get weird performance issues when looking at the poison clouds, but hey it's Gamebryo what else is new.

And I actually like these meaty "mini-expansions." It allows them to try multiple ideas where as an expansion would likely center on one idea. Also I find 8 or so hours to be quite a meaty piece of content.

I would prefer an expansion pack mainly because it really feels like something I can dive into, while at the same time allowing the developers to really stretch their designer wings a bit (Mask of the Betrayer is an excellent example).

I'm still not a huge fan of DLC because it still feels very bite-size, even though I like Dead Money a lot. But it's true what you say, and even Avellone himself said in a recent blog-post of his that you could try riskier ideas.

I would prefer an expansion pack mainly because it really feels like something I can dive into, while at the same time allowing the developers to really stretch their designer wings a bit (Mask of the Betrayer is an excellent example).

I'm still not a huge fan of DLC because it still feels very bite-size, even though I like Dead Money a lot. But it's true what you say, and even Avellone himself said in a recent blog-post of his that you could try riskier ideas.

At the end of the day I prefer real expansions as well, I am just saying I am not opposed to quality DLC of a good length. With Fallout 3 I really liked The Pitt and Point Lookout... would I have rather had Point Lookout as a 30+ hour expansion though? Certainly.

Back
Top Bottom