Kenshi - Has Sold Over 1 Million Units

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
TheGG reports that Kenshi has sold over 1 million units worldwide.

Bristol, UK - 30 September 2020 - "Kenshi", a single player RPG set in a vast and atmospheric 'Sword-Punk' style open world, has hit the milestone of 1 million global sales this summer.

Developed over 12 years, with 5 of those years under Steam Greenlight's Early Access program, Kenshi released in December 2018 and remained among the top 100 most played games throughout 2019 with many players clocking over 1,000 hours of playtime.

[...]

More information.

I vaguely remember trying that game many years ago. It hadn't managed to hook me back then but I would be curious to try it again to see how it has improved, after all those years.

I tried it shortly after release and struggled to get into it. The cumbersome camera in particular was big turn-off. I've seen enough positive comments to want to give it another try though.

I got it on release as well, and couldn't play more than half hour. Still today I'm not sure if it's:

A) The kind of game that you need to invest time on so it grows on you
B) The kind of game that sounds cool and everyone hypes but nobody plays

Either way, I think this train has passed for me as it sits in my Steam library far low in the priority of games I could potentially play anytime soon.

That's incredible news! It's always lovely to see indie RPGs getting excellent sales.

Congrats to Kenshi and the mostly one guy who made it. Can't say I disagree with anything anyone said in this thread, though I think it's a brilliant game. Hope the sequel doesn't take as long.

Count me as another who bought it, played it for a few hours, and shelved it.

Doubt I'll ever replay it either as it's not my type of game.

It's not for everyone. Make your own adventure type.

I can get into those types of games at times, but now is not that time. I'm not even trying this game since I don't feel like making my own adventure these days.

But, grats to the dev/designer(s) - always nice to see indie game success stories even when I'm not into them.

Not my thing these days but grats to the dev/designer(s) - always nice to see indie game success stories even when I'm not into them.

It's not for everyone. Make your own adventure type.

I can get into those types of games at times, but now is not that time. I'm not even trying this game since I don't feel like making my own adventure these days.

RimWorld is an amazing game that I used to play a ton but I haven't had any desire to play it lately either, or anything like it.

Very pleased for the guy. He put all those years into it, which could easily have been in vain, and now he can probably retire. Great to see.

I still play Kenshi occasionally, it's a lot of fun. It's bizarre, open-world and occasionally empty feeling, but when you hit on the right combination of getting a secure base, trading, and mercenary-band building it's really quite like no other game experience out there. It does take "time to get into" I'd say.

But the emptiness is an integral part of the Kenshi mindset. It's like staring into the Grand Canyon or the cosmos. It reminds you how small you are, how insignificant, how the stars will continue to spin and the sand will continue to blow long after your bones are dust.

Back
Top Bottom