Wasteland 3 - Review @ Skill Up

I would play it - if it was single player, 3rd person, not turn-based, or strategy/tactical.

I would play it - if it was single player, 3rd person, not turn-based, or strategy/tactical.
There is it's called Fallout but yeah I would love to play that as well.:)

It is? Older Fallout games were turn based and newer ones are first person.
No modern gamer cares about Fallout 1&2.:p All hail the great Bethesda.:worship:

Though in all seriousness I wonder what would have happened if Bethesda didn't buy the Ip? As isometric RPGs did make a comeback thanks to crowd-funding this decade.

No modern gamer cares about Fallout 1&2.:p All hail the great Bethesda.:worship:

Though in all seriousness I wonder what would have happened if Bethesda didn't buy the Ip? As isometric RPGs did make a comeback thanks to crowd-funding this decade.

Yeah, hard to say. I can't remember who owned the Fallout IP before BGS bought it, so I don't know if they're doing such games now. Getting isometric Wasteland games feels like pretty close to the same thing to me now, minus the exact post-apoc trappings.

Yeah, hard to say. I can't remember who owned the Fallout IP before BGS bought it, so I don't know if they're doing such games now. Getting isometric Wasteland games feels like pretty close to the same thing to me now, minus the exact post-apoc trappings.
I believe it was Interplay. They did try to resurrect the Ip as it was part of the contract with Bethesda. Since they failed to release a new game all rights went to Bethesda.

The developer was Black Isle Studios the predecessor that lead to fired staff opening BioWare and Obsidian. Van Buren was part three and was made into New Vegas.

Well, other than being a bit buggy (for me, at least), so far I'm finding it to quite a good game. It's not a Fallout 1 or 2 replacement, but it's still seems damn good so far. There are some smaller QoL things I could complain about but that would be nitpicking; happy to have this game.

I remembered that this is technically true after I posted that, but I have a hard time imagining playing F3, 4 or NV in third person. I guess if you don't ever shoot a gun that would be fine.

Perhaps for you. I play it pretty much equally in both.

Also there is far more to those games then shooting guns. Combat is not the only thing you do. Combat is better geared towards first person no argument there, especially indoors. I usually do combat in first person although I also do melee combat (have a melee only character) and melee combat I find much easier to do in third person. Since he doesn't use any guns (only a crossbow and only for emergencies where there is no other way to get a turret) I am seldom in first person for combat.

That being said even when playing my sniper I am usually only in first person when I start to do combat but out of combat almost always in third person. But I slide in and out of both at will depending on the situation and circumstance. I also know many of my friends play this way. Which is, of course, ad-hoc, but no less valid than one person saying "I have a hard time imagining playing F3, 4 or NV in third person. I guess if you don't ever shoot a gun that would be fine"

There are also many other things to do in the games besides combat.

For you maybe you don't consider third person valid but I am in third person pretty much whenever I am not in gun based combat or workshop building mode.

In addition I saw massive uproar over C2077 going first person only from many who wanted it first and third which indicates there are many other players besides yourself that see third person as a common play style to mix in with first.

For me third person has always been the worst option.

I play with mouse and keyboard and third person games are usually optimized for controller.

First person is just more immersive (assumed everything else is working the same) and controls usually have been better. There are games I enjoyed playing which are third person, like Elex, Gothic 2, Insomnia...but controls in all of them were horrible up to the point that you basically just didn't some certain game play elements like melee combat as they just were terrible to use.

My introduction to third person was with the first Tomb Raider game. And I feel like 3rd person has always been stuck there. Clumsy controls, bad combat which is often dependent on aim assistance.

After two tries with Witcher 2, I gave up. The controls and combat was just too bad. Yes I could have played on a difficulty less than the hardest. But I usually don't do this as challenging combat is part of the fun in the games I play. In Witcher 2 I felt like I am mainly fighting against the controls. That's why I never even checked out Witcher 3, and was very happy to hear that Cyberpunk is going first person. I like the scenario, but would have skipped it as well, if it was 3rd person.

@wolfgrimdark; You seem offended, and I'm genuinely sorry if I offended you. Obviously I know there is more to do in those games than fight, since I've played them, but they seem to me to be primarily designed for 1st person. Not only because of the combat, but also because of things like the Pip-boy, which you raise up to your (virtual) face to look at from a first person perspective. Conversation is also conducted entirely in first person, IIRC. That doesn't make your way of playing them "wrong" or anything, of course, but it makes my original statement that the newer Fallout games are, at least primarily, first person games pretty valid, I think.

no, just no
It's a joke but it's the truth. Believe me I feel the same when I read comments about Baldur's Gate and RTwP. It hurts when Original Sin/Larian is the king nowadays.:(
No newer ones are first and THIRD person.
Yeah that's the point but he missed it as well. You can play every new Fallout in third person but the shooting feels off. Exploring in third -person is fine though.:nod:

That's why I never even checked out Witcher 3, and was very happy to hear that Cyberpunk is going first person. I like the scenario, but would have skipped it as well, if it was 3rd person.
Personally had no problems with the controls of Witcher 2 and Witcher 3. First-person might work though. Would be interesting to see it in a future Witcher game.

As for Cyberpunk 2077 the initial design was third-person, but it was switched during development. I still remember reading the the outrage when it was announced.

It's not that third-person isn't valid in Bethesda's games, it obviously is, but you can tell they didn't put as much into it as they did first-person. The animations are awkward, and it sort of feels tacked-on, especially if you compare it to games that are only or primarily third-person.

I liked the 3rd person perspective just fine in the Witcher. It makes sense in a game with sword fighting, jumping and horse riding. On the other hand, 1st person makes far more sense to me in Cyberpunk so I'm glad they went that direction. It makes far more sense to be in 1st person if you're going to make optical overlays and such a thing, and of course for the gunplay. I also think it imparts a better sense of scale (looking up at buildings, etc)

The argument that because the Witcher was 3rd person so should Cyberpunk 2077 be 3rd person didn't make any sense. The only argument I saw that I felt sympathy for was by those who get motion sick in 1st person games. For their sake, I hope at some point in the future CDPR can implement a 3rd person perspective as an option.

Back
Top Bottom