Wasteland 3 - Release Day

What's the name of the game Mercy is working on? I beg your pardon but if he already said it here, I must have skipped his post, so if anyone can tell me, I'd appreciate that.
Don't know as he never said the name as he never replies back.

He does post updates on Twitter though.
SSI Gold Box-style game, we are working on.

In case this helps others - I managed to get the game in a playable state* in high settings by fully disabling these items in the game's options:

- Antisotropic Filtering
- Reflections
- Motion Blur
- Anti-Aliasing

Game still fun, just kinda regretting I'm playing it now instead of waiting for a few patches, but again, for just £1 with gamepass first timer deal, still a win.

* Playable for me means 3840x2160 resolution at 60+ FPS while in full screen, without freezes, stutters, shimmering, or any random graphical weirdness, which is what my rig is built for.

Now the game has decided to just randomly screw all my characters by resetting their skill and attribute points, rendering them useless. I have 0 skill points to spend and actually -7 attribute points to spend while I have just 3 skill points spent and a random mix of attributes that I definitely didn't choose.

https://imgur.com/90riiEg
https://imgur.com/0gKabmm

So, it took me a while to realise this, until I was actually in combat, and my quicksaves and autosaves are all corrupted, so I had to backtrack to a 2 hour old manual save, far before I did tons of inventory management, conversations, quests, and stuff that honestly, are making me consider seriously whether this game was worth the £1 price. Wouldn't have been that much of a problem if this game didn't have the ridiculous limitation of 1 autosave and 1 quicksave, but hey, who am I to speak about basic quality of life features in a 2020 videogame. Not even going to mention the myriad of smaller annoying things I've encountered because this seriously takes the jackpot and I can't care anymore.

Definitely don't get this game until it's been thoroughly patched. If you paid the £54.99 tag for this, you have my most sincere condolences.

Definitely don't get this game until it's been thoroughly patched. If you paid the £54.99 tag for this, you have my most sincere condolences.

Condolences rejected as unnecessary (paid $60).

Runs smooth as heck for me, and my only gripes so far are the floaty/rubber-bandy camera, and the soul-crushingly long saved game load times.

Sounds like a good game that just needed a little more time in the oven. I probably won't be getting it for at least a few months.

Too much stuff on my plate right now, and I want to play through Wasteland Remastered and Wasteland 2 first anyways.

floaty/rubber-bandy camera, and the soul-crushingly long saved game load times.

It's kind of funny that I'm always one to be dissatisfied about long loading times, but this game is so buggy and unpolished that it became kinda unimportant compared to the game-breaking bugs that I've found and I hadn't even mentioned it in my list of aggravating flaws.

I backed the game on fig years ago but yea, gonna wait for patches before I dive in. Standard procedure for me.

I'm enjoying it just left the main city.:)

Though I agree about the GUI, camera, micro-stutter's, and load times. Most of these will probably be fixed in upcoming patches. Now excuse me I'm going back to play.

@Nereida it's called Consolification you can tell this was designed for consoles in mind.

Although MS has tried to optimise fullscreen windowed mode, there is still a fundamental difference - the Windows display manager is in control of what is drawn to screen, whereas in true fullscreen mode the game has full control of the GPU. Fullscreen windowed is generally fine these days, but there's still more potential for other things on your system to complicate things.

Apparently the bug that breaks your characters, and effectively your game is known and reported, and it's caused by removing your originally created characters from the party at any point. This will not only break the "main" characters (ie, it will randomise their ability points and reset all skills to 0 without refunding any skill points as in the screenshots I posted above), but will also make other custom created characters in your roster to randomly appear and disappear from the roster manager.

This is a gamebreaking bug that completely ruins the playthrough for you if you didn't notice as it's also a bug that sometimes doesn't manifest immediately and by the time you notice, all your saves are already corrupted and the only known way to fix it currently is restarting the game from scratch, as I had to do.

So for now, restrain yourselves from benching your two original characters for any reason, be it to improve your party, use a weaponmod/armourmod char instead while you're in your base, etc. as it will break your game irreversibly.

Apparently the bug that breaks your characters, and effectively your game is known and reported, and it's caused by removing your originally created characters from the party at any point. This will not only break the "main" characters (ie, it will randomise their ability points and reset all skills to 0 without refunding any skill points as in the screenshots I posted above), but will also make other custom created characters in your roster to randomly appear and disappear from the roster manager.

This is a gamebreaking bug that completely ruins the playthrough for you if you didn't notice as it's also a bug that sometimes doesn't manifest immediately and by the time you notice, all your saves are already corrupted and the only known way to fix it currently is restarting the game from scratch, as I had to do.

So for now, restrain yourselves from benching your two original characters for any reason, be it to improve your party, use a weaponmod/armourmod char instead while you're in your base, etc. as it will break your game irreversibly.

Yikes! That's a seriously bad bug. Thanks for posting it here!

Sounds like the same bug from Wasteland 2.:(

Had problems with stats and companions with that game also.

For now, I'll refrain from even playing the game for the first time, which is very sad to me :( Given the bugs reported here by you and other members, I see no other option besides awaiting a little more.

Good to know. I likely would never have come across it as I have no interest in creating new custom characters beyond the first four, but still.

Normally I don't either, but this game's setup promotes that you create "skilldump" characters (ie, one with max armormod, one with max weaponmod, one with max barter, etc) for stuff you can do when you're safe in your base and you don't really need in combat or exploration situations, when those skills become really wasted skillpoints that help neither with combat, exploration or RP situations - so swapping these skilldump characters into the party in between missions to bench them again before leaving back into the wilds is a very intuitive thing thing to do, and tons of people are losing their saves because of it, especially those playing in higher difficulties that want to get the most efficiency out of their party.

It's how it happened to me, hopefully it won't happen to anyone in RPGWatch knowing it.

I play with my first 4 - they have to be jack of a few trades then.

Just to inform that min specs are false.

I run the game on my 7 years old laptop with:
i7 3630QM 2.4 GHz
16 gb ram
GeForce 750M

Run it on lowest graphic options and 1920x1080 resolution very smooth and without any issues.

Also have very slow hard drive and loading times are not that bad.

So I am very happy with optimization. :)

PS.
At the start of the game it warns me that my trash laptop is below minimum, but still let it run smooth.

Back
Top Bottom