Anyone Here Play Zelda Breath of the Wild?

Look - this isn’t your type of game, never will be. So perhaps you ought to stay out of threads that are of no interest to you in the first place. The forum already has one ChienAboyeur.

Limiting posts to what products have expresed interest about could be troublesome on this site:
which a high disdain for anything gameplay related, with a leaning to play products made for streamers without streaming them or watching them being streamed, it is quite to be hard to find the expression of an interest. Quite the opposite.

Maybe scripted story oriented products and yet...

At least one poster showing interest about products. One is not a crowd and not enough to sustain a forum.

You ‘hear’ from idiots.

Look - this isn’t your type of game, never will be. So perhaps you ought to stay out of threads that are of no interest to you in the first place. The forum already has one ChienAboyeur.
Eh?
Comic artists are hardly idiots and internet is flooded with Switch Zelda jokes about cooking/climbing/itembreaking like these:

XUjsj12.png

bsYjajs.jpg

That aside, almost every thread outside of mmo section is of interest to me. As you might have noticed, I don't post anything in mmo section. If I do, that's usually good news like server shut down. :)

Not sure about that Chien reference. I do not watch paid streamers. Generally, either I play a game or *read* impressions and reviews. If not in the mood for googling, then I ask here. Just like in this case.
Rarely I do watch a review (AJ's because it's more of a show than a review) or peek at some video if unsure about a game (the new Star Wars wallswalking gameplay vid made me not to buy it).

I don't like the weapon breaking in botw because it's too much of a departure from the Zelda formula. Since botw is more like a sandbox game and less of a narrative game, I understand why the devs came up with this mechanic. I think there are better approaches though that would satisfy both those who prefer the Zelda formula from the past and those who enjoyed the mechanic in botw.

I'd propose that weapons don't break but you can find materials in the game that could affect your weapons in ways you prefer to combat. Something along those lines. But the breaking of the weapons became hugely tedious for me after just a few hours and I spent much of the game just running away from trash mobs because I didn't want to destroy 2 or 3 good weapons on trash mobs.

Players who always are between products, content drainers, content browers etc usually feel any design feature that hinders their goals.
Non issue features appear as an issue as they do not support their consumption habits.

Eh?
Generally, either I play a game

It takes the product to be a game.

That was the point though. This site reports quite a lot about made for streamer products and yet so few actually spend time either streaming them or watching them being streamed.
Which makes the interest dubious. Already known that this site has no interest in gameplay. It adds another stone.

A guy who buys a racing car and use it to race might be seen as having an interest in car racing. A guy who do not buy a racing car and watch cars race might be seen as well.
Guys who buy a racing car to use it to go to the grocery store, well, it is quite a bit more difficult to see their interest in car racing.

Limiting posts on this site to their interest would be troublesome.

A guy who buys a racing car and use it to race might be seen as having an interest in car racing. A guy who do not buy a racing car and watch cars race might be seen as well.
Guys who buy a racing car to use it to go to the grocery store, well, it is quite a bit more difficult to see their interest in car racing.

To counter your point (?):

There is a distinct difference between someone who plays a competitive sport (football/basketball/hockey/etc.) and someone who watches those sports on TV every week. There is little confusion between them - nobody believes the 300lb obese dude on the couch whose only weight lifting is cans of beer is the same as the 300lb guy on the field who can benchpress a truck.

And yet, in the 'real game' there are loads of concessions made to ensure that the guy on the couch stays tuned to the game. And not just superficial things either - rules to keep up the pace (baseball) and tons of technical 'assists' to guide viewers.

And yet the games themselves at their core remain basically the same as 100 years ago.

Same for video games ... yes there are changes made for monetization, new revenue sources (twitch streaming), multiplayer, mobile, and so on ... but for the most part, especially in a niche genre like ours, it is fairly stable.

The weapon breaking ideology almost made me put the game away more than once. I eventually got past that, but man, that's simply a maddening mechanic, in my opinion. Honestly, had I know about that in the first place, I may have avoided the Switch console entirely.

The weapon breaking ideology almost made me put the game away more than once. I eventually got past that, but man, that's simply a maddening mechanic, in my opinion. Honestly, had I know about that in the first place, I may have avoided the Switch console entirely.

I bought the Switch and botw when they first became available. I played botw for maybe an hour and decided I really hated weapons breaking and shelved it until this past October.

I don't like the mechanic, but that alone is not game breaking enough for what is an otherwise fun game.

That all said, there are certain mechanics and other aspects of the game of which if any make a return in a sequel, will keep me from making a day 1 buy, if at all.

These are:

-The feeling that you don't need to do that much in-game to beat it. It's possible to skip tons of content and beat the game. This seems odd and unfulfilling to me.

-Introduce item abilities throughout the game, each of which must be earned, just like past Zelda games. Why? Because it's fun and creates a better sense of character progression. Botw gives away almost all abilities right from the start limiting exploration discoveries to materials and korok seeds which are too repetitive given the size of the game world should you choose to fully explore it.

-Weapon breaking - ugh, it's just awful and completely negates the "specialness" of the Master Sword and Shield when a) some weapons are more powerful and b) the master sword can become useless for a time and the shield can actually break. I have a lot of ideas that might work as I'm sure others do too.

-Shrines as the pathway to greater health and stamina - I really don't want shrines at all actually or at least have them extremely limited next time around. Replace with fewer, full sized dungeons that are all thematically different from one another. Shrines made mini-games of the games physics which is okay and fun for a bit, but there's not anywhere close to 120 shrines worth of fun in that.

-Can't see the game world most of the time (see my original post). Atmospheric effects can create nice ambient effects but they are way overused in botw and I felt I could hardly ever clearly see the beautiful world they created. The game quite literally gave me a number of headaches from my eyes perceiving this as "blurry" vision.

-Can't climb during the rain. This is okay for a time but it should be something the player can overcome at some point. I really thought some gear set would have allowed for climbing in the rain at some point but there is no such thing as it turns out. I spent a great deal of time waiting for rainstorms to pass because I worried that if I didn't climb the thing in front of me NOW that I'd forget about it and never do it later. So I sat and waited a lot for rain to pass. I'm not up for this again in botw2.

-Cumbersome crafting (botw NEEDS a recipe list for recipes you've discovered). Crafting in botw wild, unlike too many other games, is actually useful. But in a botw2 do I really want to a) open my inventory, b) individually select each ingredient, c) tap a button to toss them into the cook pan, d) watch the animation and e) do this over and over again for every single cooked item... no thanks. Once I discover a recipe, put it on a list and let me select it from the list - if I have the ingredients the item is made, if not, nothing happens.

Back
Top Bottom