The Witcher Netflix series begins production.

Someone who actually understands and cares about the games might be a nice boon, but I can't say I think much of this guy as an actor. Also, I think he has the wrong look for Geralt - but that's minor.

I don’t think it should be that big of a deal.

Make up artist, effect people can make anyone look however they want. So he should look as much like geralt as the producer wants him too.

As for mannerisms, he’s an actor he should be able to adopt them, again if that’s what the producer wants.

Voice may be more difficult but who knows. Most of the walking dead actors are British but you’d have no idea they were when watching the show as the all talk with an American accent. I think it’s better to go with a seasoned actor than to try and find someone who matches Geralt’s voice but might not be as good an actor.

As for how good of an actor he is? I don’t know. I didn’t know who he was by name as I don’t pay attention to actors. I also don’t pay enough attention when watching movies. An actor would have to be extremely bad for me to really notice. I watch most shows or movies while simultaneously surfing the web on my iPad so unless I think a show or movie is really good it doesn’t get my full attention anyway.

Lastly, I don’t have any emotional investment or loyalty to the video game version or the book version so I don’t really care how closely it translates. I’ll watch it and judge it on its own merits. If it entertains me, I’ll like it. if it doesn’t, I won’t.

So, what you're saying is that all actors are essentially equally good at all roles - and that nothing really matters anyway? ;)

That's cool.

Until you remember that this isn't really true - and that there are movies, games, books or other kinds of entertainment that you actually DO invest in - and that's when things start to matter for you :)

Anyway, I'm not invested in Witcher games - much less the books or any potential TV show.

I'm just pointing out that this guy seems a little off for the part, but it's definitely true that such a thing doesn't have to be the case - and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

So, what you're saying is that all actors are essentially equally good at all roles - and that nothing really matters anyway? ;)

That's cool.

Until you remember that this isn't really true - and that there are movies, games, books or other kinds of entertainment that you actually DO invest in - and that's when things start to matter for you :)

Anyway, I'm not invested in Witcher games - much less the books or any potential TV show.

I'm just pointing out that this guy seems a little off for the part, but it's definitely true that such a thing doesn't have to be the case - and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Nah, I’m simply saying that I probably won’t be paying enough attention to know if he’s truly good or not.:)

I do believe however, that if the producer and actor are good enough they can overcome the perceived deficiencies mentioned in this thread. I was replying to the overall thread not solely your reply.

Having said that though, I admit I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to acting or what makes a good actor as I don’t really care and have never invested any time or effort to educate myself. So I could be totally wrong.

I typically just watch and if it entertains me then great, if not then, oh well. I definitely don’t critique performances as I don’t pay enough attention.

So basically I’m stating my opinion and admitting it’s based on very little.:lol:

Nah, I’m simply saying that I probably won’t be paying enough attention to know if he’s truly good or not.:)

I do believe however, that if the producer and actor are good enough they can overcome the perceived deficiencies mentioned in this thread. I was replying to the overall thread not solely your reply.

Having said that though, I admit I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to acting or what makes a good actor as I don’t really care and have never invested any time or effort to educate myself. So I could be totally wrong.

I typically just watch and if it entertains me then great, if not then, oh well. I definitely don’t critique performances as I don’t pay enough attention.

So basically I’m stating my opinion and admitting it’s based on very little.:lol:

You don't need much formal education to guage the quality of actors. You probably do need to care about how human beings work, though.

From there, it's a simple matter of whether or not the people in question seem plausible as human beings - and in terms of human behavior.

Assuming that's what they're portraying, obviously :)

Cavill has portrayed a variety of characters. The only reason I say I haven't been impressed by him - is exactly that. He's never made an impression on me - in the 3-4 roles I've seen him portray.

That's usually how I take note of an actor, so there's no actual judgment about this guy at this point.

Some actors I consider just plain bad - but that comes after paying attention to them for a while.

For instance, I think Keanu Reeves is a terrible actor for the most part - though he's gotten better with age. Better in terms of picking the right roles for his range :)

Even the worst actors usually end up finding a match for their range, which is arguably another way of being a talented actor, I suppose.

For my part, I usually look at the variety of roles - and to which extent they can transform in terms of what I consider rich diversity of personality types.

For instance, I don't think Kevin Spacey is all that good, because he's essentially always the same sarcastic and nihilistic character. He's great AT THAT - but not much else, and I've seen him in many roles.

Joaquin Phoenix is a master, in my opinion - because his range is vast - and I've never seen him in anything where he was less than totally convincing. Even as mundane characters, he manages to come across as utterly real.

You don't need much formal education to guage the quality of actors. You probably do need to care about how human beings work, though.

From there, it's a simple matter of whether or not the people in question seem plausible as human beings - and in terms of human behavior.

Assuming that's what they're portraying, obviously :)

Cavill has portrayed a variety of characters. The only reason I say I haven't been impressed by him - is exactly that. He's never made an impression on me - in the 3-4 roles I've seen him portray.

That's usually how I take note of an actor, so there's no actual judgment about this guy at this point.

Some actors I consider just plain bad - but that comes after paying attention to them for a while.

For instance, I think Keanu Reeves is a terrible actor for the most part - though he's gotten better with age. Better in terms of picking the right roles for his range :)

Even the worst actors usually end up finding a match for their range, which is arguably another way of being a talented actor, I suppose.

For my part, I usually look at the variety of roles - and to which extent they can transform in terms of what I consider rich diversity of personality types.

For instance, I don't think Kevin Spacey is all that good, because he's essentially always the same sarcastic and nihilistic character. He's great AT THAT - but not much else, and I've seen him in many roles.

Joaquin Phoenix is a master, in my opinion - because his range is vast - and I've never seen him in anything where he was less than totally convincing. Even as mundane characters, he manages to come across as utterly real.

I assumed it doesn’t take a PhD to understand it.;)

I think though, you may be underestimating what I mean by “ don’t pay attention “ I really don’t. I’ll often watch a movie but then can’t remember the name of it or largely what it was about the next day if I try to tell my friends at work. I’ll often have to look it up and jog my memory and even then it’s hit or miss.

Of the actors you mentioned I only knew Kevin spacey and that’s only because Pay it forward is one of my all time favorite movies. ( I challenge anyone to watch that movie without shedding a tear) the other 2 I had to look up but then I knew them when I saw them.

I assumed it doesn’t take a PhD to understand it.;)

I certainly hope not - as I go around telling myself it's the kind of thing I'm pretty good at :)

I think though, you may be underestimating what I mean by “ don’t pay attention “ I really don’t. I’ll often watch a movie but then can’t remember the name of it or largely what it was about the next day if I try to tell my friends at work. I’ll often have to look it up and jog my memory and even then it’s hit or miss.

Hey man, we all enjoy different things for different reasons. There's no law about how you should be enjoying stuff.

In a way, I sort of envy that approach to entertainment - as I have an unfortunate tendency to take it all a little too seriously, which means I'm almost never happy with what I'm supposed to enjoy.

With that said, it does have the advantage of being very significant and profound for me when it DOES live up to my unreasonable expectations :)

Of the actors you mentioned I only knew Kevin spacey and that’s only because Pay it forward is one of my all time favorite movies. ( I challenge anyone to watch that movie without shedding a tear) the other 2 I had to look up but then I knew them when I saw them.

That doesn't quite fit with the description you just gave of yourself and never paying attention :)

I will refrain from commenting on that particular movie - but I must concede it's one of the few roles Spacey did that was a little different from his normal routine. Also, K-Pax was refreshing in the same way.

But I really do think he's very one-note in most cases. It was just an example off the top of my head.

I would call him competent, but not a favorite of mine.

Again, though, I'm very demanding in general when it comes to entertainment.

It's a sickness resulting from having way, way too much time dedicated to such things at a younger age.

I certainly hope not - as I go around telling myself it's the kind of thing I'm pretty good at :)

Hey man, we all enjoy different things for different reasons. There's no law about how you should be enjoying stuff.

In a way, I sort of envy that approach to entertainment - as I have an unfortunate tendency to take it all a little too seriously, which means I'm almost never happy with what I'm supposed to enjoy.

With that said, it does have the advantage of being very significant and profound for me when it DOES live up to my unreasonable expectations :)

That doesn't quite fit with the description you just gave of yourself and never paying attention :)

I will refrain from commenting on that particular movie - but I must concede it's one of the few roles Spacey did that was a little different from his normal routine. Also, K-Pax was refreshing in the same way.

But I really do think he's very one-note in most cases. It was just an example off the top of my head.

I would call him competent, but not a favorite of mine.

Again, though, I'm very demanding in general when it comes to entertainment.

It's a sickness resulting from having way, way too much time dedicated to such things at a younger age.

Sorry, bad habit of mine. Using absolutes such as “never” when I don’t really mean it. Almost never or very rarely is what I should have said.

Basically when I watch a movie at home I’ll be doing other things simultaneously. Such as surfing the web, posting here, thinking what to have for dinner the next day, thinking about a game I’m playing, talking to my wife,etc.

I’ll be watching enough to process what I’m seeing but not really retain it. If the movies interesting enough to Grab my attention or some major twist grabs me I’ll start paying more attention and watch the rest. If it really grabs me I’ll even start it over so I can give it my undivided attention. Even then though I take it at face value and enjoy it for what it is. I don’t really critique it or scrutinize the performances.

It’s easy for me to not be critical when watching movies because I’m usually not really invested or don’t care. I’m just passing a couple hours. Games are much harder however.

"It's appears they're casting a non-white actress for the role of Ciri in Netflix's Witcher series"

https://www.cbr.com/witcher-tv-ciri-changes/

I have no words for this madness….

nbba189ne1l11.png

picard-facepalm.jpg

Last edited:
"It's appears they're casting a non-white actress for the role of Ciri in Netflix's Witcher series"

https://www.cbr.com/witcher-tv-ciri-changes/

I have no words for this madness….

Link - https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/...ast-bame-ciri-and-fans-have-had-enough/68596/

Also let this soak in everyone.
What’s worse is that the original author of the books, Andrzej Sapkowski, is working with the production team on the show.

Andrzej Sapkowski, is working with the production team on the show.

It basically means he approves of the butchering taking place.

Last edited:
Meh, big deal. As if the quality of the show depends on the ethnicity of the actors. People are probably going to complain with every character that does not look like the character in the games. Even if the looks of the characters in the game are just an interpretation of somebody at CDPR, based on the books (if the character existed in the book at all).

Bringing Sapkowski on as a reference isn’t really supporting any form of outrage. Sapkowski thinks of the Witcher games as something that is only loosely based on his books and the world he created. In his words: The games are a free adaptation containing elements of his work. Something he was not involved with.
So, in short, the games are absolutely no reference to base anything on as the series would be about the world created in the books, which is different from the Witcher games.
I don’t think the skin color of a character will have much of an influence on the world or the story being told.

By the way, Guinevere in the Merlin series was black and it wasn’t a lesser show because of that.

I don't care about ethnicity, and I'll keep an open mind on this one until I see it, but I do think miscasting can be a problem. For example, I think Jennifer Lawrence is a terrific actress, and the film Mother had some interesting ideas, but she has such a such a strong and feisty energy, I just didn't buy her portrayal of a very meek and crushed character.

This is so f…. Ridiculous…….. I could scream….. Cant these people simply leave politics and agendas aside and simply do their jobs…

Last edited:
Look at other fantasy series based on books... Game of thrones or lord of the rings.... if they would have made such a fundamental change in a major character .... Sheesh......

By the way, Guinevere in the Merlin series was black and it wasn’t a lesser show because of that.
I don't think any works suggested her ethnicity so… :p
Maybe they screwed the hair color though. :)

Anyway, just as I hate whitewashing I hate forced political correctness and in this case it's obviously forced. They're actively searching for specific skin color without respecting the original work (I mean books, not games).

If the case was anyone can try to get the role regardless of their skin, I wouldn't mind it. I mean, who'd refuse feasting eyes on something like this:
tumblr_o5bqeg1DCz1tr7uilo3_500.gif

But no. It's forced. So here's middlefinger whoever forces diversity instead of making sure there is so called "chemistry" between actors.
How is Ciri's appearance described in the books?
Ciri has ashen grey hair and green emerald eyes, a trait that runs in her family.
Emma Stone perhaps? Amanda Seyfried? Dunno.

Last edited:
Meh, big deal. As if the quality of the show depends on the ethnicity of the actors. People are probably going to complain with every character that does not look like the character in the games. Even if the looks of the characters in the game are just an interpretation of somebody at CDPR, based on the books (if the character existed in the book at all).

Bringing Sapkowski on as a reference isn’t really supporting any form of outrage. Sapkowski thinks of the Witcher games as something that is only loosely based on his books and the world he created. In his words: The games are a free adaptation containing elements of his work. Something he was not involved with.
So, in short, the games are absolutely no reference to base anything on as the series would be about the world created in the books, which is different from the Witcher games.
I don’t think the skin color of a character will have much of an influence on the world or the story being told.

Yes well I'm getting tired of movies and TV shows recasting different ethic characters just to fill a certain diversity quota. Then give an absurd response of how it's not forced.

Anyway joxer already beat me to it she is white in both novels and games.
From the Witcher novel Sword of Destiny page 416. “She had fair hair, ashen white complexion and large impetuous green eyes”
So there you have it. An actor should look like this.

lht5uwgjhjbz.jpg

Last edited:

The quality of the show does not depend on the ethnicity of the character or the actor.

Whats happening here is that they are making a political statement, that is a book from Poland is racist since it does not have none white characters so they (show runners) are going to remove this racism by casting a BAME (non white) actor!

Look at it another way, say you are a white girl actor from Poland and you want to play Ciri but tough luck since you are white and the casting people will not even consider you since they have decided Ciri will on BAME. If this is not racism what is it? The actor for Ciri will be chosen based on the ethnicity of the actor and not the just on talent. This is racism!

Here is the irony of all things, Polish people are one of the most discriminated people in Europe! Here in London at least they have it worse than black, Indians and Chinese people! They do the worst jobs and the low paying jobs....

I am person of colour, I am not white and I find this whole thing abhorrent because what they are doing is racist. I have faced racism personally and I won't wish it on anyone, even my worse enemy. Please pick a person for their talent and their suitability to the role, leave everything else aside.... I hope that's not too much to ask

Damn you said it better then I could lostforever.:party:

How is Ciri's appearance described in the books?

We know who her real parents are and they are clearly white… so if Ciri is not white then her parents are not white and a country which was supposed to be stand in for Germany is not white anymore. The witcher books are simply not just fantasy, they are a commentary on Europe….

Back
Top Bottom