360 or PS3 for console RPG?

Hm, i have been thinking of a handheld system for some time. But in my view it was more or less the PSP. The DS i never thought off.

I love both systems, but don't know that anyone would claim the PSP has a better library for anything but racing and sports games ...

I'd say it's a no-brainer if all you're interested in is RPGs, the 360 would be a better choice than the PS3. In fact, even the Wii would be a better choice than the PS3.

Just looking at the games DS is the best to go for rpg nutters. As a rpg nutter can you order The Dark Spire from anywhere in the UK? Or do I have to ebay it, anyone?

I would say neither really. PS2 and Nintendo DS have tons of RPG's but I cannot mention a single title on 360 or PS3 that I know of, that isn't available on PC.

Oh, as for PS3 or 360 for rpgs then it has to be 360. The PS3 just doesn't have any really, even if it is a overall nicer piece of kit as Gorath stated, but I wouldn't recommend either console for rpgs tbh. If you have other tastes you might want to look into some other titles the consoles have out or coming out. Like Uncharted 2 or the downloadables on each system.

Almost forgot... if you could actually manage to find one of the older PS3 models that is backwards compatible, then that would be a great choice.

Yeah, have to agree with JDR, here. Having the ability to run PS1-PS3 games in one system is key. I'm pissed they took out both the hardware AND software compatibility for PS2 games in the later models - they first claimed it was to 'save costs' (although I don't see how the software increased costs)... and then randomly admitted it was because they wanted people to buy PS3 games instead of PS2 games.

There are some RPGs for the PS3 (exclusive or multiplatform). That I know of:
- Enchanted Arms (multi)
- Fallout 3 (multi)
- Disgaea 3 (exclusive)
- Valkyria Chronicles (exclusive)
- Eternal Sonata (multi)
- Cross Edge (exclusive) (playing this ATM)
- Sacred 2 (multi)

and coming 'soon'
- FF XIII (multi)
- White Knight Chronicles (exclusive)
- Alpha protocol (multi)
- Demon's Souls (exclusive)
- Dragon Age (multi)

Last edited:
Almost forgot... if you could actually manage to find one of the older PS3 models that is backwards compatible, then that would be a great choice.

That's a no-brainer! :)
PS2 is probably the best system EVER for RPGs (followed by perhaps the SNES, then PS1?)

That's a no-brainer! :)
PS2 is probably the best system EVER for RPGs (followed by perhaps the SNES, then PS1?)

I actually still consider the SNES to be the king of console RPGs, but I guess it's just a matter of personal taste. The PS2 certainly had a lot in terms of quantity.

I actually still consider the SNES to be the king of console RPGs, but I guess it's just a matter of personal taste. The PS2 certainly had a lot in terms of quantity.

Well that's certainly debateable.

For years SNES was king for me (and still a very close second) but nothing on the SNES can compete with Persona 3 & 4 (especially 4). Then you have Dragon Quest VIII where we finally get a presentation on par with gameplay (actually exceeds it, not a huge fan of Toriyama but the graphics engine was just so lovely and the voice acting was very good).

Then FFX and FFXII. FFIV will probably always be my personal fave but FFX and FXII for me are up there with Square's best. And FFXII's system beats random encounters ANY DAY.

On the strength of those 5 titles alone (FFX, XII, DQVIII, Per3/4) the system is a powerhouse. You also have sequels for Suikoden and Wild Arms plus the Xenosaga trilogy, Star Ocean III, and others.

But wait there's more: PS1 backward compatibility means FFVII, IX, Suikoden 1/2, Persona 1/2, Chrono Cross, FF Tactics, Vandal Hearts, Xenogears, Star Ocean 2, Grandia, Lunar (awesome special edition too), DQVII, AND ports of FFIV, FFV, FFVI and Chrono Trigger (only the SNES' cream of the crop!).

So really, PS2 is the RPG gamer's system.

Well that's certainly debateable.

For years SNES was king for me (and still a very close second) but nothing on the SNES can compete with Persona 3 & 4 (especially 4). Then you have Dragon Quest VIII where we finally get a presentation on par with gameplay (actually exceeds it, not a huge fan of Toriyama but the graphics engine was just so lovely and the voice acting was very good).

Then FFX and FFXII. FFIV will probably always be my personal fave but FFX and FXII for me are up there with Square's best. And FFXII's system beats random encounters ANY DAY.

On the strength of those 5 titles alone (FFX, XII, DQVIII, Per3/4) the system is a powerhouse. You also have sequels for Suikoden and Wild Arms plus the Xenosaga trilogy, Star Ocean III, and others.

But wait there's more: PS1 backward compatibility means FFVII, IX, Suikoden 1/2, Persona 1/2, Chrono Cross, FF Tactics, Vandal Hearts, Xenogears, Star Ocean 2, Grandia, Lunar (awesome special edition too), DQVII, AND ports of FFIV, FFV, FFVI and Chrono Trigger (only the SNES' cream of the crop!).

So really, PS2 is the RPG gamer's system.

uncharted waters 2 > all that. Shame that the sequels were never translated due to religious content or something. I badly want to play rota nova.

Uncharted waters 2! I forgot about that game! I downloaded it for the virtual console on the Wii but I keep forgetting to play it.

Yeah, have to agree with JDR, here. Having the ability to run PS1-PS3 games in one system is key. I'm pissed they took out both the hardware AND software compatibility for PS2 games in the later models - they first claimed it was to 'save costs' (although I don't see how the software increased costs)... and then randomly admitted it was because they wanted people to buy PS3 games instead of PS2 games.

I purchased a ps3 about a year ago and it plays ps2 games. (I have not tried psone games yet.) Did they remove compatability on all the new models? When I first bought one it was 40gb and it did not play ps2 games, so I returned it for the 80gb model which did. That is gone now too? That really blows. Although it is sony so I am not surprised. They generally do not give a shit about their customers.

Yup. It's gone on all new models, sorry to say. PS1 games work in every model. The original 60 gig PS3s have the PS2 hardware inside, so 100% compatibility. The next wave of models had *software* compatibility - so not as good, but it worked.

...then they just removed the software from all future versions because they are jerks.

My favourite games are Might and Magic 4 and 5, Lands of Lore, Betrayel at Krondor, EoTB: Darkmoon, FF 12, Storms of Zehir, and KB:TL. Which console do you think suits me?
Judging by your taste in games, PS3. Demon's Souls managed to build a reputation of a very hardcore dungeon crawler. It won't be released in USA until autumn, and only gods know when Europe will be getting it, but Chinese version has English text (both menus and subtitles), so you may want to import it.

So really, the PS2 is my kind of RPG system.

And that's a fact! :)

So really, the PS2 is my kind of RPG system.
And that's a fact! :)

Mine too :) Turn based RPGs are all but gone (except for some indies) in PC while the PS2 has more than plenty. (The handhelds also have their share, but as I said, I don't like playing on a 3" screen with two tiny internal speakers when I can play on 50" with 6.1 speakers)

nothing on the SNES can compete with Persona 3 & 4 (especially 4).
Not even The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past or Chrono Trigger?

I love isometric or 2D games like that with carefully crafted pixel art. The SNES was perfect for that, consoles before were not good enough, consoles after were too advanced and only had "3D". The only modern game I can think of that had the same charm was King's Bounty - The Legend on PC. (Although - granted, I don't play too many (console) games).

Speaking of excellent pixel art, there's the Metal Slug series for Neo Geo, but I guess that was not really a great console for RPGs, right? ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom