Skyrim - First "In-Game Look" Coming

There were some impressive shots in the trailer. Quite nice. The pacing seems quite a bit faster this time, in combat at least. As a mage player, I liked seeing the spell zip across the screen instead of taking its precious time.

novacaine, novacaine, la-la-la! I liked the dragon shout effect, and the wide open vistas which def have more detail at a distance. Also liked the zapping staff...I wonder if they've changed the way staves work, or whether the system will be the same as Oblivion's?

It looks pretty good, I have to say.

I'm particularly pleased that they seem to have an improved stealth mechanic - or at least more fun for the assassin type character :)

Looks very nice overall. Some movement seemed a bit weird, oblivionstyle but I was happy to see villagers working with cutting wood etc. Hope the levelling is slow and the game full with more content than Oblivion.

Characters/animations still have that Bethesda stutter about them, but the audio sounds like it'll be the best they've ever produced, assuming the in game soundtrack matches the trailer.

Vistas and some of the shadows were quite impressive, but some bits looked a bit rough graphically, like the flowing water.

the audio sounds like it'll be the best they've ever produced, assuming the in game soundtrack matches the trailer.

Interestingly, you can hear the main theme from Morrowind in the trailer, albeit sped up somewhat with the additional Lord of the Rings-derived, chorus chanting. (from 1.10 onwards from the 'dragon shout')

I love the frost-bitten wintery atmosphere and hope they'll give the Nordic lore the focus and depth of role-playing opportunities that it deserves. I won't get too optimistic yet though…still need to see and hear some more. ;)

I'm really thankful that we actually got to see some ingame footage and not another trailer. Maybe publishers/developers are realizing that that is what gamers want to see. Not a CG trailer that an animation house has made.

I'm a bit worried that the nordic setting will feel boring after a while but they did say something about different climate zones in an article?

Interestingly, you can hear the main theme from Morrowind in the trailer, albeit sped up somewhat with the additional Lord of the Rings-derived, chorus chanting. (from 1.10 onwards from the 'dragon shout')

That style is derived from Carl Orff's Carmina Burana:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmina_Burana_(Orff)

It's used in almost every fantasy RPG, movie, etc. Just a friendly FYI.

I've got a boner.

And re: Skyrim theme: had you watched the dev interviews before, you wouldn't be talking bs. The theme is the universal TES music, not Morrowind's.

Last edited:
Pretty disappointing stuff. I was hoping that the game would actually be "unveiled" with a developer walkthrough or something. Instead, we get an in-engine trailer with about 10 "flashes" of what looks like "in-game" footage (though it's impossible to confirm it). I'm not saying that what I saw was bad, just that I didn't see a whole lot to begin with.

If they want to hype it up, why not just show us some actual gameplay. Let us know what you're trying to do with the game. I want to be excited about a new "big" RPG, but I wish developers took their time to sit down and talk to us. Oh well, we'll see what the next trailer brings...

So far I'm looking forward to the game. After recently finishing Divinity 2 DKS I hope Skyrim will have more puzzles to solve in the world and add little mysteries and 'easter eggs' to compel the player to search out every nook and cranny.

Pretty disappointing stuff.

Actually, stuff like this is what I would consider disappointing, no matter what side of the debate you might be on.

I see a lot of posts attacking Bethesda as the 'master of all hype machines.' But the way I see it, they've actually taken a big step to tone the hype down - namely by revealing the game at the 12th month as opposed to the 2+ year mark for Oblivion.

I found this trailer quite surprising actually with all that it did show and appropriate to the amount of time left prior to its scheduled release date.

With the exception of perhaps Peter Molyneux, gamers are their own biggest hype machines.

Actually, stuff like this is what I would consider disappointing, no matter what side of the debate you might be on.

I never said the footage itself was disappointing, I said that the lack of information was disappointing. I had just convinced myself the unveiling would be more than a simple trailer, since the game is already pretty far along in development. So it's my own fault in a way, yes. But that's still how I feel.

I'm still excited for the game, but this trailer just had zero impact on that, that's all I wanted to say. I'm not a hater. There's no need for such a low blow :(

EPIC

I just think how pathetic this makes Bioware look , and what they accomplished with Dragon Age.

Its like

Bioware 0 : Betasheda 1000

The funny thing is that TES and Gothic are actually similar in so many ways. I enjoy both, and I've never quite understood how anyone could love one and hate the other.

A much better example of contrast would be TES vs Bioware games.

You nailed it. I HATE Bioware games and love, one player, open ended games like Elder Scrolls and Gothic series games.

That looks great!

It seems 3/4 of the people on this board only post to complain about something. So I'll do it too! My only critique of what I've seen is that I'm not a huge fan of the northern, snowy, "Nordic" looking setting. But that's just some personal bias and opinion on my part.

People complain perish the thought. Its a open rpg forum for people to express there love or hate. Sorry to see you think we cant hate a game or feel we wont like it.:rolleyes:Cant we all just get along.:p

I never said the footage itself was disappointing, I said that the lack of information was disappointing.

I guess had they shown more gameplay features I wouldn't look away. But there are still many months left - they can't give it all away this soon.

Back
Top Bottom