Dragon Age: Inquisition - News Roundup

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Here is another roundup of news for Dragon Age: Inquisition. The first item of interest is a new hands-on review from idigitaltimes who calls the game boring.

EA, the publishers behind the latest entry in BioWare's RPG series Dragon Age, recently held a small press event in New York City to demonstrate some of their newest titles. One such game on display was Dragon Age: Inquisition. I was invited to play a demo featuring a large side-area, one not crucial to the main story, according to the PR rep who was on hand to answer questions. After getting past my initial wave of excitement from getting a new game in my hands, what I found was a boring and repetitive, but graphically gorgeous, hack-and-slash game.
The second article is from Polygon about the length of the game.

Dragon Age: Inquisition will take players between 150 and 200 hours to complete all content, according to BioWare producer Cameron Lee. Dragon Age games have always been long, meaty affairs, but the world has changed since the release of Dragon Age 2. Does BioWare think players who are a few years older and, more than likely, have more life responsibilities will come back to spend more than a full week's worth of time playing one game?

Well, yes. Lee believes that there is still a place for the long game in our current market, and Inquisition has been built with those players in mind. The customary "long game" of BioWare's stories has become something of a genre in and of itself.

"We want to give our players a real world to explore — we want to give them a BioWare story," Lee said. "A really vast, epic BioWare story. That's what we do, and it normally takes 20 to 40 hours anyway to tell the story we want to tell."
And for last thanks to GameBanshee I have two forum links from Bioware about why the game doesn't have healing from Patrick Weekes, and Lukas Kristjanson.

A few BioWare devs have taken some time off their schedules to explain Dragon Age: Inquisition's approach to healing and health management on their official forums, in an attempt to quell the discontent that is being expressed by a number of fans. Interestingly, neither of the two devs actually comes from BioWare's design department.
More information.

Well, yes. Lee believes that there is still a place for the long game in our current market, and Inquisition has been built with those players in mind. The customary "long game" of BioWare's stories has become something of a genre in and of itself.
Read as: "We filled the game with filler content and same trash fights in the manner of DAO and DA2. Now you will be enjoying same and repeating content until you finish it or you are ready to kill yourself."

Eh?
It's Dragon Age game, not SW:ToR.
There will be some repeating mobs for sure, but I don't think Bioware's singleplayer game suddenly went into a grinder route.

Eh?
It's Dragon Age game, not SW:ToR.
There will be some repeating mobs for sure, but I don't think Bioware's singleplayer game suddenly went into a grinder route.
You must have slept through DAO then. It was grindy as hell, full of areas where you kill same group of enemies all the fracking time.

And after reading their explanations for lack of healing spells, well it still stinks. Now, everyone will have limited supply of healing potions that you will get to resupply here and there (sometimes during dungeons when you find them just lying).
Nothing really changed, except all classes have same healing capabilities now.

I did not even know that they removed healing spells, but basically their argument for this is: "healing increased the complexity of combat balance, hence it got removed".

First, their argument is flawed, i.e. they assume health points are immeasurable with healing spells, even if in most games healing takes a finite time, during which any other action is prohibited, which both puts an upper limit on the number of health points available in finite duration combats and balances health gained with damage dealt. Second, they still allow potions, which defeats the original purpose of removing healing spells. Third, and most importantly, it is a cop out. Plenty of other games, including Bioware ones, have shown that combat can be kept balanced despite of healing abilities.

I hate to be harsh, since I like Bioware games in general, but them admitting that they cannot balance combat with healing spells essentially means that their skills as game developers have diminished, the creative fire has dimmed. Modelling combat with a wide variety of skills, including health management, really is at the core of what game designers should be able to handle. If they cannot do this without taking short cuts that significantly reduce combat complexity also for the gamer, it is a failing.

Now, I hope to be wrong, but reading about the blandness of combat in the first article seems to confirm that thesis. I must admit that I am much less eager to get my hands on the game now. I will wait for actual reviews.

You must have slept through DAO then. It was grindy as hell, full of areas where you kill same group of enemies all the fracking time.
Sorry but in my DAO game no mobs ever respawned nor I had to kill them over and over like in games that cover lack of different content with grinding.

Sorry but in my DAO game no mobs ever respawned nor I had to kill them over and over like in games that cover lack of different content with grinding.
Grinding and respawing are two different mechanics that don't always go together. I have not mentioned respawning.

Grinding is a boring, repetitive action whose sole purpose is to advance the player in some way through power or content and DAO was full of this. It was especially noticeable while in dwarven underground killing No. XYZ pack of same enemies.

Baldur's Gate a had a fair share of this, but not to this level. DAO was an "upgrade" for them.

Dragon Age: Inquisition will take players between 150 and 200 hours to complete all content, according to BioWare producer Cameron Lee.

Not bad.

Read as: "We filled the game with filler content and same trash fights in the manner of DAO and DA2. Now you will be enjoying same and repeating content until you finish it or you are ready to kill yourself."
Lumping DA:O and DA2 like that only means that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Lumping DA:O and DA2 like that only means that you have no idea what you are talking about.
DAO was better from DA2 in many things, but wasn't much different in fights diversity.
DA2 was just more irritating by spawning waves of enemies from thin air.

Really, the more I read about this game, the less I feel like I will regret my Origin boycott.

Article 1: "…but if all of the combat encounters turn into a slap fight with whoever has the most health points winning…"

I'm not sure really what he's saying, other than he's not a fan of basically the same RPG/MMO system that's been used for the last decade. Combat eventually gets boring, regardless, unless you are going to a full-tactical, turn-based system like Xcom, Jagged Alliance or, to a far lesser extent, Original Sin (but I'd argue even that became repetitive once you figured out the perfect combination of attacks).

Naw, 'epic' RPGs should be more about the story, IMO. If it's engaging and you care about what happens to your PC/companions, the hack'n'slash slugfest that inevitably will occur or the (hopefully) infrequent FedEx quests will have a bit more meaning, thus making them far more bearable. This to me is where Divinity: Original Sin failed— despite the above-average combat experience, the story sucked.

Now obviously we would like both an engaging story and epic combat, battle after battle. But I don't think I've ever seen it in a true, story-driven RPG (not named Mass Effect). You have to level and collect loot somehow, so unless you script every fight (impossible development time), you're going to have to grind waves of pawns over the course of the game.

As for the 200 hours of content— that is music to my ears, even if the combat is less than stellar. I'm really looking forward to this game either way.

Last edited:
I won't judge the game until I will see the reviews of real RPG sites.

Amen!

Now obviously we would like both an engaging story and epic combat, battle after battle. But I don't think I've ever seen it in a true, story-driven RPG (not named Mass Effect). You have to level and collect loot somehow, so unless you script every fight (impossible development time), you're going to have to grind waves of pawns over the course of the game.

As for the 200 hours of content— that is music to my ears, even if the combat is less than stellar. I'm really looking forward to this game either way.
So you cannot wait to grind waves of pawns for 200 hours? Really?!

I'm not entirely against the idea of making dungeons/what-not about a tough expedition rather than about particular tough fights. That was definitely an important approach back in the early CRPG days (see Wizardry for example or early JRPGs like FF1). However, I'm not sure why healing had to be entirely beat down to do so. Seriously, just do a better job balancing healing spells.

I'm fine with healing being a limited resource. It makes those "trivial" encounters more meaningful, because how well you handle them affects your resources going forward. Otherwise, every fight is done in a vacuum.

Also it sounds like barrier spells are party wide, which means it's likely even non-tank characters will want to move up to take some hits. Even though a tank would have better mitigation, nothing beats using a replenishable source of hp.

In principle, I see no reason to complain over these mechanics.

Back
Top Bottom