Winter and why....

Yeah thats tough. My wife and I run at least 3-4 miles a day, outdoors, 3 days a week, but in the fall/winter its really tough to do. I dont mind the cold so much as the darkness (although it absolutely does suck, dont get me wrong lol). By the time I get out of work, its pitch dark. And there is no way in hell I could could get up early in the morning before work to run :). Its probably dark at that time also, anyways

Yeah - suffice to say I *never* start my weekday runs in any sort of light. At this point it is getting to the point where it is dark for most of the run.

But at the same time, when it is about 20F outside, and there was fresh snow overnight ... there is an incredible magic and beauty to running that is just undescribable.

But at the same time, when it is about 20F outside, and there was fresh snow overnight … there is an incredible magic and beauty to running that is just undescribable.

I hear that. Your about 3 hours to the west of me (Im in Newburgh, about an hour or so south of Albany, an hour or so north of NYC, along the Hudson River) but I would imagine our weather is extremely similar.

I hear that. Your about 3 hours to the west of me (Im in Newburgh, about an hour or so south of Albany, an hour or so north of NYC, along the Hudson River) but I would imagine our weather is extremely similar.

Our winters can be described simply as 'colder than Buffalo/Rochester'Syracuse, with all of the wind and about 1/10th the snow' ;)

1/10 the snow in Buffalo would be something like 27 feet, right?

I'd much, much rather be hot than cold. When I'm old enough to actually pick my home without employment issues, I'll probably move somewhere cozy like Death Valley.

Don't get me wrong I love having all the different season where I live. Some area's the trees are already starting to turn, making for great fall camping and drives in the woods.

I lived out on the North West for 10 years after college and they had two seasons. Raining and not Raining.

Summer would be okay if it didn't get so hot with the humidity here. Some days are 34 C and with the humidex over 45. It is a little to much to take and lots not forget the real point FLIES

I hate hate hate the cold. I live in the deep south on purpose where I am in a tshirt and shorts for most of the year. I bike alot and while you can bundle up, biking in the 40s just sucks. I can run in the 40s tho. I guessing its the cold wind that makes biking that cold miserable for me. As I have gotten older I do have a problem with extreme heat now but that is 100+, 95 is still fine for me.

I love love love the cold. I wear a t shirt and shorts in the winter time (as long as it isnt very windy out, then I wear long pants.) I havent worn a jacket in years. Fall is my favorite, Winter second, spring third and i absolutely despise summer. Humidity is a killer for me. While I have no use for ice and snow either, I don't have to drive in it anymore, so I bought my wife a four wheel drive Jeep (with heated seats, she HATES the cold) so snow is no issue for her. I would MUCH rather be cold than hot. Like the OP said, you can always add a layer, once the underwear comes off and all the ladies stop screaming, I can go no further.

… I'll probably move somewhere cozy like Death Valley.

Just the place for you. :)

And for txa who likes to run. The Badwater Ultramarathon starts there.

But cold weather serve me best. And rain.

pibbur who on principle disagrees with outside temperatures higher than his normal body temperature.

Last edited:
Used to be a winter man myself but this year I dread it, especially the cold, dark November and February. The last winter seemed to go on forever. Autumn is pretty good but kind of depressing as well. The positive is that there's no bugs and I like to wear layers.

Well the last 3-4 days it has been 35 to 40 and I can't stand it any longer. They are saying there it will keep up to until Thursday and then it will be back to a livable mid 20's.

One thing you could do is pay a surgeon to remove your thyroid gland. This will slow down your metabolism, making you feel cold almost anytime. There are a few side effects which I won't go into, the main thing is that your internal heater slows down, significantly.

pibbur who is happy (and actually a bit surprised) that he still remembers some of his doctor's skills, even after all those years without thinking about patients (except in his nightmares).

Fall is the favorite season for me. Cool temperature and every day I know the Holidays are getting closer and closer, and I LOVE Christmas season.
Summer is too hot, Winter is too cold.
Spring has good temperatures like Fall, but every day that passes I know the temperature is going to get hotter and hotter, so psychologically I'm happy in Fall and sad in Spring :)

One thing I can say for certain is that I'd hate living in a place without significant seasonal changes. To me, that would feel all wrong - not to mention dull :)

Variety is the spice of life and all that.

Only if you moved there after you're old enough to remember. I was born near the Equator, and I saw the American movies with the seasons as a curious thing. Now I've been living in Atlanta, GA for the last 5 or 6 years and love the seasonality (though I would be perfectly happy if Summer suddenly disappeared).

Fall is my favorite month - no bugs and nice walking weather. Winter is second favorite as I love snow (as long as I have a nice warm home to go to afterwards).

The downside to autumn is that it's also spider season - it's when most spiders mature into adults and creep about looking for mates.

Back
Top Bottom