Larian Studios - RPG Player Survey Results

I hope Larian won't take the results too seriously and morph D:OS in a horrible hybrid, like the abhorrent Dragon Commander. The Dragon Knight Saga was also quite bad. I mean, if you really want to make an action RPG, at least make it as good as Dragon's Dogma.

Well we're all welcome to an opinion. Dragon Knight Saga was great, and I'd love their next project to be Divinity III in the same style.

I hope Larian won't take the results too seriously and morph D:OS in a horrible hybrid, like the abhorrent Dragon Commander. The Dragon Knight Saga was also quite bad. I mean, if you really want to make an action RPG, at least make it as good as Dragon's Dogma.

I'd love it if they made another Dragon Knight Saga. That's the best game they've made, in my opinion :D

Dragon's Dogma is pretty good too though. I'm not a big fan of the pawns exactly as they are but it is one of the few party games I can enjoy because the AI is so good. In fact, I'm replaying this now.

I really liked the weapon and armor socket system of DivDin. I loved the exploration and humor and loot of DKS. I enjoyed Cyseal in D:OS. I'd love to see Divinity 3 with a blending of what they've done in the past. I'd also love to see them move to a more realistic graphic style. I'm not big into the cartoonish style. I prefer something like Dragon's Dogma or Fallout/Skyrim.

All of that said, I'll still get some fun out of the new sin game.

Last edited:
Whatever they're going to do, I just want it to be because they would really love to do it - and not because they think they can figure out what the players want by asking them.

The vast majority of gamers out there don't have a clue what they really want. They just think they do.

Whatever they're going to do, I just want it to be because they would really love to do it - and not because they think they can figure out what the players want by asking them.

The vast majority of gamers out there don't have a clue what they really want. They just think they do.

I'm okay with that too. I don't care for co-op or even long tactical battles but if they're going to go bust, do it with something you love.

I know following the money doesn't lead to happiness because that's what I did. If I had it to do all over, I'd stay lower on the ladder....

I'm okay with that too. I don't care for co-op or even long tactical battles but if they're going to go bust, do it with something you love.

I know following the money doesn't lead to happiness because that's what I did. If I had it to do all over, I'd stay lower on the ladder….

Not following the money doesn't necessarily lead to happiness either.

Happiness is not for everyone - and there's no magical formula you can use to secure it for yourself.

All you can do is try to live your life without too many serious regrets.

Personally, I've already fucked that up pretty good in several ways. But I remain hopeful all the same.

Y'know, I am not transgender or gay or interested in gender politics and my response to this post was kind of like Myrthos' BUT at the same time I don't see the need to make any snarky comments about it. Myrthos's response post seemed like that and Crpgnut's response was just plain rude.

Don't like it - fine. Then either don't respond or at least make the effort to respond in a more considered and respectful way. Personally, I've been following this site since before it was the Watch and have done so in large part because it's a great forum to have interesting but respectful discussions. In recent times, it seems there been a lot less of the 'respectful' part of that.

Any before people complain about too much posting about gender issues or whatever other topics you don't like, if it's done in a considered and respectful way and makes a salient point, then it deserves the same kind of consideration in response.

And back on topic…

It was heartening to see so much dislike for MMOs in the survey!
My post had every intention to stop the discussion about gender issues given the framing Damian provided. This was way off-topic for this thread and given the posting history of Damian on related topics in P&R, I did not want this thread to follow that path.

Need more of these surveys! Data is so interesting.

Yeah, I think you have to look at the history. Damian often has interesting things to say, but he does have form, by his own admission, of somewhat trolling on certain issues. I don't think it's a big deal, but also not a big deal to say, "Mate, shall we not do this in the Larian survey thread?"

It was never my intent to politicize my comment, rather I was curious why the "other" option wasnt included from what I thought was a survey from Sweden, which I was in error of. I dont know anything about Belgium so i dont know if i can ask the same question knowing that.

But yes, I guess such queries cannot really be asked anywhere but the P&R forum because it is a political question despite my intentions, so I apologize.

My post had every intention to stop the discussion about gender issues given the framing Damian provided. This was way off-topic for this thread and given the posting history of Damian on related topics in P&R, I did not want this thread to follow that path.

Agreed. Thank you for taking swift action.

I myself was a big fan of the Dragon Knight Saga. I'm also glad to see that I'm not in the minority when it comes to turn based combat - lately it certainly doesn't seem that way.

Yes, the current climate is hyper polarized around basically any political issue...so I like the focus on keeping politics out of the rpg game news commentary forum.

Re: survey results. It is pretty funny, as others noted, that larian seems really big on co-op these days, lots of focus on it as part of their games, when their core audience doesn't seem all that interested. lol

Survey was posted on all their social media and shared a lot on twitter, so although ofc. biased there might be more non-larian fanbase entries in there than we think.

Nice to see Witcher 3 as much loved as it is, shows that their audience has good taste. I hope Larian will return to making AAA 3D RPGs like Dragon Knight Saga soon.

Survey was posted on all their social media and shared a lot on twitter, so although ofc. biased there might be more non-larian fanbase entries in there than we think.

Not only that. I'm a backer and owner of D:OS and I didn't receive an invitation to the poll, I learned about it here I think, so it's probably not as biased as you may think.

Nice to see Witcher 3 as much loved as it is, shows that their audience has good taste. I hope Larian will return to making AAA 3D RPGs like Dragon Knight Saga soon.

Means they have to get a publisher again instead of self publishing their games. I hope not, DKS was rushed and as one of the initial buyers of it, I was severely disappointed in it, couldnt stand the flying bits and the ground bits were sub par too. If they want to do a proper job of a DKS style game, they cant be at the mercy of a publisher and they cant have flying bits.

Not only that. I'm a backer and owner of D:OS and I didn't receive an invitation to the poll, I learned about it here I think, so it's probably not as biased as you may think.

I didnt get one and i bought 4 copies of DOS and DOS2. I certainly would be more positive of the co-op options. But I'll concede, I would be one of the few that kickstarted their games and did it also for co-op.

On an unrelated note...

Who else wants Larian to release the arena combat mode as a free demo? It would help promote the game, get people used to the combat system and hopefully they will want the full experience.

Over the years, I've read at least two different interviews (or blog posts? I don't remember) from Swen Vincke where he says the only reason they made Divinity 2 as a 3D ARPG is because the publisher forced them to, and he never wanted to make that kind of game to begin with. Now that he no longer wants or needs to use publishers, it seems safe to assume they won't be making the type of games they don't want to make, right? So unless his opinion on that has changed, I'd assume that won't be happening.

On an unrelated note…

Who else wants Larian to release the arena combat mode as a free demo? It would help promote the game, get people used to the combat system and hopefully they will want the full experience.

That is a really good idea. The turn based combat is on another level in these games.

I expected there to be more men than women but not 90%.

Age skewed younger than I would have thought.

I guess I don't spend as much time or money on gaming as I thought.

D:OS plays extremely well as a singleplayer game and the added cooperative gameplay doesn't seem to have hurt the overall experience.

Overall yes but there are issues. I loved D:OS 1 but the interaction of the two main characters both controlled by me was bad and easily the worst part of the game and did lessen the game for me and the single player experience. I admit I do worry about the apparent bigger focus on co-op.

This I agree with 100%. Personally I just wish they loved Co-op a little less.

Back
Top Bottom