CRPG Book - Released

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Felipe Pepe has released his CRPG Book. You can check out the blog post here.

Update 19 – CRPG BOOK RELEASED!

Four years ago I began a journey.

On Feb 5 2014 I posted the results of the RPG Codex’s Top 70 poll, in which we elected the best CRPGs of all time. But I felt that a simple list was too dry… more than the ranking, I was interested in WHY these games were good. From there came the idea of asking people to write a short paragraph talking about each title.

This became a updated version of the Codex’s Top 70, now with screenshots and brief descriptions of each game. That’s my favorite piece of content I ever made, but I still wanted more – more games, more screenshots, longer reviews, tips on mods, fan-made patches, etc. So I made a list of all the RPGs I wanted to cover and began recruiting volunteers for the “CRPG Book Project”.

Having done the Top 70 list in 3 months, I thought I could do 300 games in about 10 months or so. Ha, it took me four years… but it is done!

Dear reader, I present you the full release of the CRPG BOOK PROJECT!

[...]
More information.

Congratulations for the excellent work, @felipepepe;.

Just one question: will the book continue to receive "revisions" or new info?

Outstanding work Pepe! Congratulations for finishing such a massive project. :cool:

I ofcourse downloaded this right away and I really look forward to reading it.

Congratulations for the excellent work, @felipepepe;

Just one question: will the book continue to receive "revisions" or new info?

According to his blogpost, there are some plans to update it further.

Above all, this book is a passion project. Free, non-commercial, created by people who wanted to share their hobby and help others have fun. I’m very proud of what we achieved, and I would like to thank everyone who helped me on this journey.

I’ll also take this chance to address some criticism & future plans…

…I hope to add the extra content, proof-read everything and make a “Editor’s Cut” re-release & physical edition sometime in the future, but I can’t make any promises, as I now need to focus on important personal things – like getting a work visa.

Still, I truly believe that the book is a worthwhile read as it stands. It has its shortcomings and issues, but hopefully it’s a flawed gem – like all the best RPGs are.

Congrats, Felipe.

This is fantastic news. I'm sure going to download it, but...

If there is going to be no physical edition, I don't think I'll ever get to reading it beyond checking out a few choice pages, which is a shame. I just don't get much out of gazing at PDFs for any significant amount of time. I need to be able to pick it up, feel it, leaf through it. Hell, I've enjoyed Matt's book for ages and still have it within easy reach!
Must be an old person thing, eh?

Lets hope he finds a publisher for this or does a successfull crowd funding campaign. Publishing such massive book with quality color pictures is not a cheap venture. If you have any ideas about the matter, I'm sure Pepe would appreciate them. :)

Congrats!

Already downloading the latest version. I would also be interested in a physical copy in the future. So if that happens I'm in.

Absolutely - congratulations! Looks great, a quick skim has really piqued my interest for a full, leisurely read.

Maybe a Kickstarter for a physical edition….? :)

Thanks for the kind words guys, and for all the help and reviews that came from this forum over the years. :)

Congratulations for finishing your magnum opus! It needs a lot of perseverance to actually create such an enormous volume :thumbsup:

I really hope, there will be some way to get that masterpiece printed in future, probably as crowdfunding project?

I'm impressed. Truly impressed.

pibbur who is also grateful.

PS. Is it possible to pay for it? It's well worth some coin. DS.

Oh, wow, that is beautifully done. It really should get printed in book form. This book screams out for a large coffee-table style book, and in full color, with all the illustrations and pictures. I would buy a copy, although I understand it would probably be very expensive. But I've never seen a history of rpgs done to such a high standard and in a form like this before, and it would be a great coffee table book, as a sort of tribute to the hobby.

Congrats to felipepepe!

I just read the introduction and I'm thrilled by the forthcoming reading. I would be happy to make a donation to your book... if there is a place I can do this please provide a link! You should be selling this!!!

Fantastic work, congratulations. I would support a Kickstarter for a physical version as well. Not that I mind reading on screens, but this book deserves to be printed.

I'm not sure that KS would be the best option, as those buggers will take their hefty cut, and effectively drive up the cost. But I think some sort of informal crowd-funding would be a good idea. Printing gets a lot cheaper as the volume goes up, but you need a way to be sure of your number of valid orders in order to set a price.

Back
Top Bottom