Get Ready for "Call of Diablo Crush Saga"!

txa1265

SasqWatch
Yep, that is right - Activision-Blizzard buys King Games, the Candy Crush people, for $5.9 billion!

Activision Blizzard is to pay $5.9bn to acquire King Digital Entertainment, the London-based group behind the hugely popular Candy Crush Saga mobile games, in the gaming industry’s biggest deal since Microsoft bought Minecraft last year.

At a time when games such as Call of Duty for consoles including Microsoft’s Xbox and Sony’s PlayStation make up the majority of its revenues, Activision is paying a huge sum for one of the largest communities of mobile gamers in the world.

The Candy Crush games have peaked, and King is like other companies who made huge amounts of money but is now unable to repeat with a new hit game.

Personally? Not a fan of the King games ... but will be interesting to see what this means from both sides ...

Congratulations to those guys! First Markus Persson and now his friends...

Those bunch of friends has together earned more than $8.3 billion by selling video game companies... to think they started together to just have fun....

Those prices are really sick, just as a reference volvo cars sold for around $1.5 billion....

Blimey, that's a lot of money! So this is where all my WoW subscription money went?

Yeah, the analysis I have read this morning indicates that this isn't going to end well except for the few insta-billionaires.

Activision-Blizzard is starting to act weird lately. They also announced they wouldn't be revealing WoW subscription number any longer because their is apparently better metrics for them to share. Strangely those metrics didn't seems to exist until WoW reached a new low of 5.5 millions subs...

Turn on your phone and install it then you'll know.

Eh?
Are you suggesting installing it on PSP or another kids' toy instead? :evilgrin:

Eh?
Are you suggesting installing it on PSP or another kids' toy instead? :evilgrin:

Well, everything except for the PC is for 1337-speaking lol-ing console kiddies anyway, PSP is no different than PS3 ...

I still think everyone should install and play Candy Crush for a while.
Just so they can ask themselves later if the time wasted on that garbage could have been spent on some actual fun stuff.

I really don't get these big $ acquisition of one-hit wonder companies. Mojang has made one successful game, and it's way past its prime in terms of sales. Their other game, Scrolls, is a struggling TCG that will be shut down soon.

King has Candy Crush Saga, and a few other far far smaller games. From what I've heard, Candy Crush is past its peak, and while it still makes them a lot of money, it won't make them "that" much money.

So either they expect these one hit wonder companies to somehow repeat their success (which seems very unlikely at this point), or they have something else that is of great value that we as consumers don't see.

Minecraft has already been a success for Microsoft, and it is still very popular.... that makes a lot of sense for me.

King... well, basically it is not strange they have to pay that much for it. Activation Blizzard is one huge company, but in terms of profit king earns more than 1/3 of what they do. I guess this would give you an idea of how profitable the mobile game business can be ?

You need what 2 people, to make a game that can be sold or sell advertisements for 1 billion people.

Compare that to something like Diablo 3, who probably took more than a thousand people, and costed an enormous amount of money... and it got them what 20-25 million one time sales ?

I really don't get these big $ acquisition of one-hit wonder companies. Mojang has made one successful game, and it's way past its prime in terms of sales. Their other game, Scrolls, is a struggling TCG that will be shut down soon.

King has Candy Crush Saga, and a few other far far smaller games. From what I've heard, Candy Crush is past its peak, and while it still makes them a lot of money, it won't make them "that" much money.

So either they expect these one hit wonder companies to somehow repeat their success (which seems very unlikely at this point), or they have something else that is of great value that we as consumers don't see.
They get the people and the tech as well. Also the brand. My guess would be that they plan to connect everything together to become greater than the sum of its parts.

Minecraft has already been a success for Microsoft, and it is still very popular…. that makes a lot of sense for me.

Does Minecraft still make a lot of money? I was under the impression that sales had slowed down considerably. It's not a worthless property, not at all, it's just a matter of if it really can make enough back to actually make it a worthwhile investment.

King… well, basically it is not strange they have to pay that much for it. Activation Blizzard is one huge company, but in terms of profit king earns more than 1/3 of what they do. I guess this would give you an idea of how profitable the mobile game business can be ?

You need what 2 people, to make a game that can be sold or sell advertisements for 1 billion people.
The problem with the mobile market is that it's incredibly unpredictable. When you strike gold, then that makes you a silly amount of money, but there is very little consistency in it, and few companies have been able to repeat their success (Rovio seem to be one of the few exceptions, and even they've had trouble doing so). Something like Diablo will sell, unless you completely botch it, though the profit margins won't be as good as a mobile game that sells well. Something like Candy Crush might possibly sell, but for every successful one, there are hundreds upon hundreds of failed ones. King have not been able to repeat their own success, despite putting far more money into marketing for their newer games, so buying them in the hope that they'll produce another big seller seems like a really risky move.

They get the people and the tech as well. Also the brand. My guess would be that they plan to connect everything together to become greater than the sum of its parts.

In the case of Mojang they're not getting people who have produced a big seller, they get people who have worked on a big seller after it got big. Notch has left the company. I'm not saying that the people who work at Mojang are bad at what they do, but they have not proven that they can produce another minecraft. I don't know how it works with King, if they still have their key people left.
As for tech, yeah that's a good point. Again, I'm not seeing what they might have that's so valuable, but there might be more going on behind the scene than meets the eye.

I think Activision wants access to the user base of Candy Crush Saga (I read somewhere that the game has had half a billion players), but it is doubtful whether mobile gamers are loyal enough for this investment to pay off.

Does Minecraft still make a lot of money? I was under the impression that sales had slowed down considerably. It's not a worthless property, not at all, it's just a matter of if it really can make enough back to actually make it a worthwhile investment.

The problem with the mobile market is that it's incredibly unpredictable. When you strike gold, then that makes you a silly amount of money, but there is very little consistency in it, and few companies have been able to repeat their success (Rovio seem to be one of the few exceptions, and even they've had trouble doing so). Something like Diablo will sell, unless you completely botch it, though the profit margins won't be as good as a mobile game that sells well. Something like Candy Crush might possibly sell, but for every successful one, there are hundreds upon hundreds of failed ones. King have not been able to repeat their own success, despite putting far more money into marketing for their newer games, so buying them in the hope that they'll produce another big seller seems like a really risky move.

In the case of Mojang they're not getting people who have produced a big seller, they get people who have worked on a big seller after it got big. Notch has left the company. I'm not saying that the people who work at Mojang are bad at what they do, but they have not proven that they can produce another minecraft. I don't know how it works with King, if they still have their key people left.
As for tech, yeah that's a good point. Again, I'm not seeing what they might have that's so valuable, but there might be more going on behind the scene than meets the eye.

Well, I believe minecraft sold about a million since 1st of July on PC alone. Other platforms I am not aware. So that is still pretty good wouldn't you say? Besides I am sure minecraft 2, minecraft holocast edition, lego minecraft, minecraft movie, etc will be upcoming they haven't even started to milk it yet. On top of that it is the sort of game that people keep playing... they don't stop, so probably they'll start selling add-ons and lots of other stuffs as well. It would surprise me if this was a bad investment by Microsoft. Besides they have a huge potential to keep selling a lot as kids get old enough to start playing with minecraft, they'll get it almost like lego.

As for king, they still earns tons of money from in game purchases on candy crush, and it also includes experts on mobile game development and the mobile platform, which is a priority segment for Activision Blizzard, the growth in this area is really exploding, and they have made an entry with Hearhstone... if they combine forces with King, it is also a purchase that makes sense.

Kings net income 2014 was $575 million and this is with 1300 employees only! If they can keep that net income, they'll make the money back in 13 years in pure income even. Compare that to Activision Blizzard in the same period with a net loss of US$ 817 million. That would give you the idea of just how profitable the mobile game market can be?

Back
Top Bottom